foreign bases

Discussion in 'Bases / Shore Est' started by Gazza82, Oct 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello
    This might sound like a stupid question to some of you.
    But are there any bases outside the uk? (I gather there are)
    And where are the bases?
    Just curious to know.
  2. Well, not so long ago, HMS Ocean had some major mechanical snags off the East coast of the US and had to go alongside for a month for repairs.
    Instead of the ships company getting a months worth of extra filthy lucre (Local Overseas Allowance PLUS Sea Pay), the powers that be changed Ocean's base port to wherever it was that she was alongside for the month, thus saving HMG the cost of Sea Pay.
    My point is, your base is wherever you happen to be these days.
    As for drafts to other countries, these are getting fewer and farther apart. DG, Gib, Belgium, Falklands and thats about it, depending on which branch you join as.
  3. You don't want to go to DG, I hear that they have a real tough reggie there.
  4. Yeah, nasty piece of work i've heard.
  5. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

I'll tell him you said so next month - going there on a trip, looking forward to it. Was either the Falklands or DG, never been to either.
  6. Be careful, he might troop you just for passing the message on! :D
  7. Where is DG? :oops:
  8. o_O Now that's just downright fcuking evil :rofl:
  9. I've heard that he's nothing but a limp-wristed faggot lover. Takes it up the Garry Glitter, I've heard. A bit light on his steaming bats, walks poodles and he wears pink.

Can't remember who told me, now. Just wot I've heard. :farao:
  10. Thanks Lamri..
    Just didn't know the shortcut :p :thumright:
  11. That's the funniest thing I've read all week :thumright:
  12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Sorry I was late responding - I was out, spending all my hard-earned extra spondoolees... or smashing your Mum (depends how you want to take it)! :wink:

But back on thread anyone wanna know more about DG then let me know. :thumbright:

Or find the 'official' speil from the US Navy here.
  13. She says you were gash. Only got interested when some beefer minced by wearing leather trousers, a string vest, a leather cap and an AGR. :dwarf:
  14. sgtpepperband

Oh no, you're mistaken - that was your Dad; he had sloppy seconds after me. I was the Johnny Bravo lookalike she calls "The Beast"
    ... :wink:
  15. She told me that. She said it's 'cos you smell like an old dog and you lick your own balls and can give yourself a ring-dhoby. :biggrin:
  16. sgtpepperband

Actually she likes my 'cos I can lick my own forehead and breath through my ears... :dwarf:
  17. I think Sembawang is still available as is HMS Saker(Washington) and the Naval Attaches world-wide are available. For one lucky chap, serving on exchange on ITS DURANDE DE LA PENNET was an option. He served on the Italian ship based at Taranto alongside the Grandson of the Commanding Officer of Taranto , when the Fleet paid that memorable unscheduled visit-- Ouch!
    Hope they didn't ration his Chianti quota in revenge.
  18. Contributor Mode

You really do not want to know how many foreign bases you missed out on by being born after 1960 I can think of 16 without Falklands and DG and where Booties and Waffoos may go apart from the normal places. Of the ones I can think of Aden, Bahrain and Gibraltar were the worst of the bunch. The best being, Singapore, Malta, Hong Kong, Simmonstown, Bermuda, Sydney, Halifax NS. Mauritius, Naples, Trincomalee.

Eat yer heart out youngster

19. We needed large Fleets then. We had Overseas Territories to defend. We had a world-wide British-flagged merchant fleet. All have gone save Tristan de Cunhaa and the Ascension Islands.
    France, on the other hand has retained all its former colonies as Departements. They are still, in effect, part of Metropolitan France using the same currency and utilizing France's Army Navy and Air Force That they continue to have a navy of good size is understandable given its overseas commitments. We have nothing left to defend outside our shores. Well Gibraltar with its Flotilla. That's it.