Forces Network News: "HMS Tyne Goes Home For The Last Time"

"HMS Tyne has paid a final visit to the river that bears her name in North Shields before she is decommissioned.

During her 15 years of service she has:

• Travelled more than the distance to the moon and back - or 21 times around the world
  • Used 16 Olympic swimming pools worth of fuel
  • Visited 26 different countries
  • And her chefs have served up 728 fish Fridays"

https://www.forces.net/news/hms-tyne-goes-home-last-time

"HMS Tyne has paid a final visit to the river that bears her name in North Shields before she is decommissioned.

During her 15 years of service she has:

• Travelled more than the distance to the moon and back - or 21 times around the world
  • Used 16 Olympic swimming pools worth of fuel
  • Visited 26 different countries
  • And her chefs have served up 728 fish Fridays"

https://www.forces.net/news/hms-tyne-goes-home-last-time
More MOD propaganda?

Of course, and in your day all ships were wooden walled men of war ready to pummel the enemy to a bloody pulp once your hangovers had subsided?
Not at all.
In my day the number of gophers ( Gofer Ice cream soda) still operating in the US to this day, consumed, would have been of abiding interest. The number of campaigns the vessel engaged in might also have been mentioned. Clearly the MOD will publish all and sundry in order to avoid mentioning those expensive, sad ships rotting alongside in Portsmouth.
But you would object-That's what you're paid to do.

Not at all.
In my day the number of gophers ( Gofer Ice cream soda) still operating in the US to this day, consumed, would have been of abiding interest. The number of campaigns the vessel engaged in might also have been mentioned. Clearly the MOD will publish all and sundry in order to avoid mentioning those expensive, sad ships rotting alongside in Portsmouth.
Are your meds wearing off?

Levers_Aligned

War Hero
Not at all.
So, what do you want?

I mean, I'm assuming by the sidelines cynicism, you want a somewhat bigger, more potent Royal Navy, huh?

Based on what requirement? I mean, you say Tyne should not be 'rotting alongside at Portsmouth'. Then doing what, exactly? I ask you, because obviously, you have all the answers.

*sits nicely*

levers

So, what do you want?

I mean, I'm assuming by the sidelines cynicism, you want a somewhat bigger, more potent Royal Navy, huh?

Based on what requirement? I mean, you say Tyne should not be 'rotting alongside at Portsmouth'. Then doing what, exactly? I ask you, because obviously, you have all the answers.

*sits nicely*

levers
Sideline cynicism? Mere empiricism that HMS Tyne after 15 years service is retiring hurt.
HMS Daring ( one of the ones rotting alongside) will be at least 12 years old before she gets the opportunity to go east of Suez. What working life will she have ahead of her?

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
Sideline cynicism? Mere empiricism that HMS Tyne after 15 years service is retiring hurt.
HMS Daring ( one of the ones rotting alongside) will be at least 12 years old before she gets the opportunity to go east of Suez. What working life will she have ahead of her?
Would that be the HMS DARING that spent most of 2016 and 17 in the Gulf, where I repeatedly visited her? Must have imagined it...

More MOD propaganda?
I'm quick to criticise sloppy news releases, but this is a Forces Network report. Genuine news? Ship decommissioning, so yes. Gobbledegook? No, although there are certainly some who don't like the "miles of sausages" approach. Readable? Yes. Informative? Yes.

Overall, certainly not MOD propaganda.

Would that be the HMS DARING that spent most of 2016 and 17 in the Gulf, where I repeatedly visited her? Must have imagined it...
Apologies. You're right.
In a few expensive years she'll, hopefully, be able to embark on her second Foreign Service Commission--for a couple more months.
Spend a few more millions--then razor blades!

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
Apologies. You're right.
In a few expensive years she'll, hopefully, be able to embark on her second Foreign Service Commission--for a couple more months.
Spend a few more millions--then razor blades!
Its when you read posts like this, you understand why we often see the 'why is RR dying' threads...

What a pile of unmitigated horse manure...

Latest Threads