Forces Network News: "Former Army Captain MP Blames 'Defence Cuts' For Labour Win In Military City"

"Conservative MP and former Army Captain Johnny Mercer has blamed the government's approach to defence for the party's loss in Plymouth.

The Plymouth Moor View MP who was in 29 Commando Regiment Royal Artillery said it had been a "tough night" for the Tories after Labour took control of the council in the Royal Navy city.

The Tory MP told BBC News:
"We've lost control of the council. I think across the country, clearly, it's not been a good night for Labour, but certainly challenging down here."​

Mr Mercer said on the doorstep voters believed the military was reducing under the Conservative government.

"It's pretty clear to me the biggest factor in this city is defence," he said. "It always has been."

He added:
"I've made very public my concerns around the handling of defence at the moment and what the vision is.""​

Typical janner mentality, central government makes a cock up so we’ll vote out the guys who run the city. As a Plymouth resident I shudder to think what’s going to happen to my council tax bill.

Typical janner mentality, central government makes a cock up so we’ll vote out the guys who run the city. As a Plymouth resident I shudder to think what’s going to happen to my council tax bill.
Are you back for good Rab or still working offshore FES. ?.

Latest Threads