Forces Discount at Moto Services

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Deckhead_Inspector, Sep 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Stopped at Exeter sevices on way to Guzz a few days back for the usual cabin stores. Produced my ID as usual and was told that they no longer give Services Discount. Told the chap behind the till to put it all back on the shelves and walked away. Was he in error or is this true? If so, when did it happen? Was this what really got CGS's blood boiling?

Have not been to a Moto since and will not be going back. OK, I know they were the only motorway firm to do this but it does seem a rather bad time to withdraw this gesture. :thumbdown:
  2. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

I wasn't aware of any discount to withdraw. Why not ask Moto (higher up its food chain) if and if so, why? These sort of posts (big company dumps on our boys) usually end up in a rantfest and sometimes progress to a suck back from RR/ARRSE, not the big company.

Tread carefully.
  3. We stopped at Moto four times within two weeks on the way to Wales. They gave us discounts, that was only last week.
  4. It was 20% in the shops and off food in the caffeteria and Burger King etc. It was very welcome as it brought motorway prices down in line with high street prices. It started years ago when the company was Granada and continued under Moto. I only found out about it by chance when a sharp eyed check out assistant clocked my ID in my wallet.
  5. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

Believe it or not, even if you are in uniform and traveling on duty, they will not give you the discount unless you ask for it. :roll:

I do know that up until a few months back, the discount applied to everything apart from the usual (stamps, fuel, cigarettes etc) but I haven't used it in a couple of months so I'd be very interested to hear if the 20% discount has been withdrawn.
  6. I had thought that because all of the Motorway service stations in England and Wales (not sure about Scotland) are technically owned by the Department of Transport, and leased out to companies it should be across the board.
  7. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

You feckin' gypo bar stewards! If you get a discount then fair play, but if you don't you pay the same price as any other customer! FFS... :roll:
  8. the_matelot

the_matelot War Hero Moderator

Hey, at least they give us a discount.

Go to the states and you get free entry to Busch Gardens and Seaworld when you show your ID Card.

You don't see the likes of Alton Towers doing that...
  9. You can get into HM Naval Base Portsmouth for free though!!!! :thumright:
  10. ....and Edinburgh Castle and Tower of London (but not HMS Belfast! Work that one out!)
  11. Moto in Spanish means a shake or shaker or rattler, hence the name for small mopeds or motorbikes (Terremoto = earthquake).
    Always makes me giggle when I see the sign in the UK.
    One of the biggest service station chains here is called ARS..
    Between the two you could 'shake your ars'..a la Renault Megane?
    If they don't give you a discount then sod 'em and go elsewhere, to somewhere that does.
  12. Moto in Punjabi, I was told, means a fat stupid person!
  13. So, my mobile is in fact calling me a 'fat stupid person' (when I get 'Hello Moto') ?

Time to get back to Nokia I think....

14. And a bit of a shaker to boot!
  15. Asked for discount at MOTO on the M1 (Tamworth I think) last thursday and got discount no problem!!
  16. tried last week on m6 north and was told that it no longer applied. Sent e-mither to forces discount geezer but no reply as yet?????????
  17. I was seen off at Tower of London. A mate went a couple of weeks before me and got himself and rest of family in for free, when i went all i got was an MOD discount. It obviously depends on who is sat in the little box when you go to pay.
    I also tried at Belfast and was turned down as well. Its run by the same people that run the Imperial War museam, which is free!!!!!!! which makes it even harder to work out.
    If you want free(ish) entry to a lot of places and you shop at tesco's use their vouchers they send you. £2.50 of vouchers will give you £10.00 of entry vouchers to loads of places in UK.
  18. My daughter is a manager at Moto.

The answer: Forces discount is not available at M & S Simply Food or WH Smith.
    It should be available at Burger King, Main Restaurant, Upper Crust, Rittaza.
    That covers those on her site anyway !

This slightly odd arrangement is brought about by the various franchise arrangements for each store/outlet.