For Those Who Are Interested...

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by creddly, Jun 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Passed my fitness test today. :boogie:

And I'm sure that's every stage complete now. :dance:

What a nightmare though. I never want to run on another hamster wheel again. Hated every second of it.

Give me a nice track or route any day.

Presumably AFCO will phone in the morning to let me know what happens next. :biggrin:
  2. Nice one Cred, don't stop training though mate ;)
  3. Well done mate, What branch you going for? So your just waiting for joining date... You doing/done a RNAC?
  4. well done creddly!
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hiya Credders, well done mate.

In order to speed things along, as some gyms aren't so fast getting the certificate to the AFCO, give your Careers Adviser a ring so as he/she knows you've passed & can then (if you have former military service- send a letter requesting "permission to enter") bid for an allocated provisional entry date.

To get things moving swiftly:

Make sure the AFCO has received
    1.) 4 X passport photos (with you name on the back!)
    2.) A copy of your valid passport
    3.) Your fully completed Security Questionnaire (persons with previous military service require security clearance BEFORE they can get a provisional entry date- this can take a couple of months or more after you submit a correctly completed form- if it takes longer- you've made a mistake somewhere along the way.)
    4.) Both your referees have sent their references back to the AFCO.
    5.) Any paperwork sent to you MUST be returned completed correctly when received.

Good luck mate, not too long now!!!
  6. Well done Credders...guess you'd do it ok, now continue the good work and good luck!! :whew: :w00t:
  7. Well done.
  8. No way mate.

In fact I would say I haven’t done much training. But it really begins now.

I don’t know how long I have until I join, but I’ll be wasting no time whatsoever in getting fitter and stronger.

I’m down the local leisure centre at 7:45am tomorrow for an hour’s swim!

Cheers Lamri!

Cheers mate.

I’m going in as a Weapons Engineer Submariner. Yep, just waiting for a join date now. Don’t know what a RNAC is mate? (Damn I will get flamed for that)

Cheers Shippy. How long until you join?

Funnily enough I was going to ring AFCO in the morning to tell them, but I opted not to because I didn’t want them to think I’m ringing for the sake of it, just to say I passed and then “Bye†lol

I’ve changed my mind again now and I will ring them then!

1) – What are these for mate? The passport photos?
    2) – Lol sent off for it, just waiting for it to come back now, that and the NHS card.
    3) – I’ve already sent that off mate and all the previous military service material! And it will DEFINITELY take longer for me because my step-mother used to be a Ukrainian, both independently and as part of the Soviet Union. She’s naturalised now but apparently it’ll still take longer!
    4) – Lol again I’ve had two referees and they’ve sent their references but the officer at AFCO said I need one more because the one referee didn’t know me personal enough but he still used it because 3 are better than 2 lol!
    5) – I really can’t think of ANYTHING else that needs filling out and sending!

Thanks anyway Ninja! Very nice of you to give me a check list because I do need reminding! I was on the way down to the fitness test today and right in the middle of the trip I froze and said to my mate “Oh no, I’ve forgotten the test formâ€. I was so pissed off because I’d planned it all perfectly, looked up bus times, etc. Well anyway it hit me then that the bus station is right next to AFCO, so I just jumped off the bus and went straight over the road and asked them for a form and the next bus was due in 20 minutes.

Luckily they were fine with it and got me a new one in minutes whilst I was talking to a Royal Marine on the desk.

OMG it’s hitting me now – but I’m getting excited instead of nervous – presumably a good thing!
  9. Well done Credders, the next pint iss on you!
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Mate, cheers once again for bringing a smile!

1) Passport photos- for ID Card, your instructor's "who's- who" board, your inspecting officers' info board (ie; Who won what during training) & one for the AFCO dartboard.

2) Good job I reminded you eh? No copy of passport, no entry.

3) Be aware it can take an inordinate amount of time getting security clearance if you have overseas descendants. (one of my candidates took over 12 months!)

4) Check your 3rd referee has replied

5) Once you get a provisional offer of service you will get a "shed-load" of forms to complete- delay it, & your entry date will be too mate.

Chill back, bide your time, practice your ironing & get fit!
  11. Cheers mate.

I’m going in as a Weapons Engineer Submariner. Yep, just waiting for a join date now. Don’t know what a RNAC is mate? (Damn I will get flamed for that)

Sorry should have more said been to or going to the RNAC, Was probably me miss leading you, but its the Royal Naval Acquaint Centre.

12. Cheers Slim, Karma, Stripey!

Oh and LostSoul, I'll defo be going to Cally if they ask!

lol thanks Ninja - How exactly did I bring you a smile though? :confused:

And don't worry, I'll be doing all I can to ensure I get in asap!

Bloody gutted about that 12 month wait thing though. But your mate had ancestors from oversea, mines just a step-parent! So it'll probably be half the time will it?

lol Got to practice that ironing now! :w00t:
  13. I'm quite thankful that I am in a reasonably small waiting list regarding my application (AET).

Very weird situation to be in, I expect you guys feel the same? As I have never worked away from home, in terms of not coming home every night.

Really cannot wait to go though and I wish you other guys all the very best of luck with your applications.

14. Congrats Credders! :hug: :salut: :eek:ccasion5:
  15. Cheers Ben mate!

Good luck to you as well! :thumright:

And thanks to you too AAC!

I know what you mean Ben - can't wait now! :w00t:
  16. Good effort that man. Take a make and mend this PM, back to the grindstone first thing tomorrow.
  17. Bravo Zulu Credders,
    Keep us oldies up to date with your progress.

Aside to Ninja - If all that waffle was required when I joined, I don't think I'd have made it beyond the recruiting office!!!

18. Ninja_Stoker

Hiya Credders,

Your security clearance may not take as long as 12 months mate, in fact if you submitted the Security Questionnaire early enough on in the process, it may already be done- you could ask the AFCO.

All I was trying to do was make you aware they can take some time, depending how fast the overseas security services take to supply the required information to the Defence Vetting Agency.

2BM- I know mate, it's rather convoluted nowadays & yet the "Old & Bold" still tend to think we let anyone in.

To give you an idea (at this particular AFCO, which shall remain nameless) about 1 in 4 people who actually apply for the RN actually join Raleigh. The others fall by the wayside for various reasons, such as failing the test, interview, medical, change their mind etc. Scary isn't it? Marines are about 1 in 8 make it as far as PRMC!
  19. Cheers for the vote of confidence mate! :lol:

very scary.
  20. So in other words, I'm no mug to have made it this far?

That's given me a bit more confidence! :w00t:

Cheers mate! :thumright: