For those that care

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by snapdragon, Mar 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My HMS Caledonia date is 12th March. Looking forward to it, but i bet my manager won't be best pleased.
  3. Good for you Snapdragon! I'm hoping to get up there in April so you will have to let us know how it went!

Have a great time. It does sound really good especially the trip to Faslane!
  4. Go for it Snaps...hope you have a great time. :wink: :wink:
  5. Hope you have a great time "Snaps" , what exactly happens there , :???:
  6. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

I think Dhobu_bucket, Dondon and myself might care if we knew what the feck you were talking about :roll:

What happens at HMS Caledonia that we should care about?
  7. HMS Caledonia used to be a Tiffy training establishment. Don't know what it is now. From what I remember it was near Rosyth Dockyard
  8. Well done Snappy!

I know you've been waiting for this date for a long while now haven't you? :grin:

Oh and sod your manager - Just concentrate on keeping your new superiors happy! :wink:

9. Scottish brothel.... ?????? Just asking!! :roll: :roll:
  10. Pre-joining course.

All ratings go there prior to joining Raleigh to see what it is they're joining - ship visits etc
  11. chieftiff

Cheers Tattoodog, I didn't know that, do WAFU's go too or is it just a fish head thing? What do they do? is it for the RN to see if they are suitable or just to give an insight to the recruits. Sounds like a good idea.
  12. I think it's for everyone. One of the problems they found a few years ago was that people were joining up, not knowing what they were getting into (life onboard, discipline, cleaning, small lockers etc) so they set up the centre at Rosyth (ie resurrected HMS CALEDONIA!)

It allows new joiners to get a good look at the mob before signing on the dotted line.

They are also looking to open one in the Southwest, and possibly Portsmouth area.
  13. Ahhh! bless! Then they could start a pre-joining, pre-joining course so that the little darlings could learn about what to expect on a pre-joining course. :grin:
  14. Kind of standby to standby thing then?
  15. chieftiff

It probably says more about how society has gone than anything else, kids know so little about the Armed Forces now, partly because there are so few of us and partly because we have binned all the things which put us in the public eye................... including ships!
  16. More or less - since most people have no idea of what the Navy does (apart from those that join RR!), the first few weeks at Raleigh can be a total culture shock, never mind when they get to sea!

The link gives more info

RN Acquaint Centre

Cracking idea though.
  17. Tattoo Dog did a great job of explaining :)

I'm looking forward to it. I'm comitted to it now, so won't be having second thoughts after going to Cally (well, no more than the usual nerves). So i'll be going there feeling very excited. I think it's a good idea, saves the MOD a lot of money training recruits for four weeks only to see them brick it and leave.

I must have spent too long in my local AFCO, recruiting officer is starting to call me 'Petal' :)
  18. Have a good one snappy.
    Now that is a good idea, anything that gives the recruits an insight before they arrive at raleigh is good. There are always a few who PVR because it is a bit of a culture shock and maybe they piss off before they have a chance to give it a fair go. Years ago we could afford this drop out rate but I am not so sure that is the case now, so anything that prepares them for being away from home and getting into the spirit of things has got to be good.
  19. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

If they allow you out I can highly recommend The Ballroom in Dunfermline, along with Lorenzo's and Tappie Toories...... a good run ashore.
  20. Great idea, but FFS don't put the second one in dog shit city. That'll have the PVR rate skyhigh. You want a nice place in Guzz thats what you want.