For the love of motorbikes

BusterQuin

War Hero
First bike was a Yamaha XS250 in 1979 aged 17.5 year I wanted the RD but Dad wouldn't sign the HP forms for a 2 stroke. I spent a long weekend wobbling around West London learning to use gears, then rode it back to Pompey at night the first time on unlit roads, absolutely shat myself. Once I passed my test I had a succession of bikes Benelli 354 (which I crashed just before going down south on Illustrious in 82), Honda CX500 (great machine but handled like a bathtub 2 Suzuki 650 Katanas and bought a brand new Yamaha FJ1200 in 1990 after qualifying for boats pay. Never had a a car until my daughter was born in 1993
I then had a break from bikes until 2001 when I bought a Suzuki 600 Bandit followed by a 1200 Bandit also had a Aprilia Pegaso 650 as a 2nd bike then a Kawasaki GPz 500 which is the only bike I couldn't get on with I treated myself to a brand 09 reg Suzuki 1250 bandit (I like Bandits!!) in 2009 covering 60000 miles on and have only just sold it and now ride a Triumph 1050 sprint ST
I also had a Honda C90 a couple of years ago crap handling , crap brakes, slow as hell but great fun to ride for shits and giggles
The wife had a Yamaha Dragstar 650 trike for a couple years but didn't really enjoy riding it due to a lack of confidence despite instructor mates taking her out. Once sold it we bought a caravan which has reduced my two wheel mileage

taffscrivs

War Hero
Suzuki Bandits, great bikes in all versions. A cheap way into racing in the Bandit Challenge series.
Reliable as hell, buy one, race it, wreck it, buy another. Thousands of bikes out there cheap as chips. I'm thinking of buying one to go sprinting on as a second bike alongside the X7. They surely are one of the best bikes ever made.

BusterQuin

War Hero
Suzuki Bandits, great bikes in all versions. A cheap way into racing in the Bandit Challenge series.
Reliable as hell, buy one, race it, wreck it, buy another. Thousands of bikes out there cheap as chips. I'm thinking of buying one to go sprinting on as a second bike alongside the X7. They surely are one of the best bikes ever made.
Original X7s are going for silly money
I still love bandits but fancied a changed after riding the same bike for 10 years loving the different characteristics of the Triumph triple

taffscrivs

War Hero
Our X7 is anything but original! Me and my best mate bought her at Castle Combe 3 years ago from one of the riders competing at the meeting. He'd had it sat in his garage as a spare bike for 6 years and never used it. We paid £600 for her complete with race fairing and spares, dyno readouts and some history. Tuned to the eyeballs, and apparently never been on the road, always a race bike. The intention is to go sprinting on it, we're a bit too old now for full on racing (67&65) Slowly done her up a bit, new tyres, fork seals, swing arm bushes, seat, gear linkage and footrests. Looking for another bigger engined bike (maybe Bandit 600 or CB500 twin) to ride in another class as well.
My oppo is painting X7 now in a sort of Texaco Heron livery tribute as it was a lurid purple colour as bought. Another couple of weeks she'll be ready to roll, hope she doesn't go bang first time out!

Chris P

War Hero
Never own a road worthy bike, my brother had a Bantam Beeza 100cc? Which he used to ride of road around a muddy foot path, I would have be 10/12 he let me have ago, I nearly shiit myself , had a small thing in Pompey someone gave me, I was going to use to and from Colling grad, couldn't get it going regular, gave it to a Stoker next door, he got it going but said the forks were knackered. Me firmly on four wheels.
I'm with Sumo, a wheel at each corner and it won't fall over when it stops!
Big brother rode a Vincent 1000 back in the 50's/60's he was a crab bombhead and used to ride it back and forth to Germany when he was stationed there snow rain hail or shine, nephew and his partner are bike people, he once spent 18hours lying in a ditch with his bike on top of him before he was found, still rides now.

taffscrivs

War Hero
Here's our Suzuki X7 racer all but finished, nearly 3 years to the day since we bought her.
Just waiting for the race plates and she's ready to roll!

Attachments

• 100_0084.JPG
    100_0084.JPG
    581 KB · Views: 10

taffscrivs

War Hero
Here's the latest toy, bought yesterday at HJ Pugh's motorcycle auction in Ledbury.
Replica of George Brown's record breaking Ariel Arrow sprint bike that is in The National Motorcycle Museum.
Hopefully have her up and running pretty soon, probably race it alongside our Suzuki X7.

Attachments

• 100_0092.JPG
    100_0092.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 10
  • 100_0093.JPG
    100_0093.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 10
  • 100_0094.JPG
    100_0094.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 10

Sumo

War Hero
Here's the latest toy, bought yesterday at HJ Pugh's motorcycle auction in Ledbury.
Replica of George Brown's record breaking Ariel Arrow sprint bike that is in The National Motorcycle Museum.
Hopefully have her up and running pretty soon, probably race it alongside our Suzuki X7.
Isn't the sitting bit a long way from the holding on bit? That Belly cushion would be in the way.