For the Bikers

I just love ignorant doom sayers like ATG who consider themselves World Authorities on Fecking Everything.

In 2013, 362 motorcyclists including pillions were killed on British Roads, compared to 8560 car drivers /passengers. So making sarcastic nasty comments about Bike riders being organ donors isn't either funny or accurate.

No being experienced is not a risk factor, likewise a large poweful bike isn't either. According to the IAM and RoSPA, the inexperienced young riders on 125cc are at most risk of injury. Which is why, training and testing of inexperienced riders is the main focus to try and reduce accidents.

So whilst it isn't rocket science, it is a bit more complicated that the rantings of an arrogant junior officer.
Quoting numbers of deaths alone is not a real answer.
We also have to take account of numbers of cars on the road compared with the number of motorcyclists.
Government statistics give the following as a percentage.
Cars & vans = 92.8%
Motorcycles = 3.5%
If you work out as numbers of deaths per vehicle ratio you will find that car drivers (92.8) are slightly lower than motorcycle riders (103).
As for motorcyclists carrying donor cards, what is the problem. As far as i am concerned we should have an OPT OUT system, not an opt in.

Problem is (IMHO) ...not enough people are organ/blood donors period. The nominal number of blood donors is about 4% of the population and less than 3% of those 4% are Apherisis (platelet) donors ... and statistically even less are organ donors. As far as I am aware the only people who get sent an organ donor card is those applying for a driving licence and that's not an automatic sign-up with an opt out ... its a "... and by the way have you thought about ...etc" with an Opt in so agree with Slim ... perhaps an opt out is the ways to go. But why limit the distribution to driving licences ... send them out with the Giro, dog licence, water bill etc!

Having hi-jacked the thread yes bikers are generalised as "organ donors" but if you think about it the majority of bikers are young (standing by for incoming) and yes I know that there are bikers in every age groups ... it is thought of as a "young persons" transport as the majority of us move to cars when we can afford to ... too many times getting soaking wet on a bike and dealing with the spray, only having two wheels not four and wet leathers! So it stands to reason that with more youngsters on bikes and thus more youngsters getting killed there are more organs that are available ... that is of course if they are carrying a donor card or if the Dr has the cojones to ask the family if they have considered donation!

It's not about Drs have the cojones; it's about asking families who have just (i.e. within the last hour) lost a loved one to make a decision to remove lots of "bits" of the deceased. A great many are unable/unwilling to make the decision within the timeline required (for understandable reasons), and thus the opportunity is lost.

People need to think about it in advance, and then tell their loved ones what they want to doante. Thus, when they are asked, they have already prepared themselves and are able and willing to give their consent.

It's not about Drs have the cojones; it's about asking families who have just (i.e. within the last hour) lost a loved one to make a decision to remove lots of "bits" of the deceased. A great many are unable/unwilling to make the decision within the timeline required (for understandable reasons), and thus the opportunity is lost.

People need to think about it in advance, and then tell their loved ones what they want to doante. Thus, when they are asked, they have already prepared themselves and are able and willing to give their consent.
Fully agree with you, hence the OPT OUT option rather then the other.

Quite agree ... but unfortunately its normally left to the Drs to broach the subject to the family. If more people made their wishes know it would same a lot of grief later. But one could say the same about making a will ...

Quoting numbers of deaths alone is not a real answer.
We also have to take account of numbers of cars on the road compared with the number of motorcyclists.
Government statistics give the following as a percentage.
Cars & vans = 92.8%
Motorcycles = 3.5%
If you work out as numbers of deaths per vehicle ratio you will find that car drivers (92.8) are slightly lower than motorcycle riders (103).
As for motorcyclists carrying donor cards, what is the problem. As far as i am concerned we should have an OPT OUT system, not an opt in.
It's nothing to do with percentages, or yay or nay to carrying Donor cards, my comments were directed at ATG's cnutish remarks about Bikers updating their Donor Cards prior to going out to a Charity event in wet conditions, He's a typical arrogant know feck all commissioned fcukwit !!..

It's nothing to do with percentages, or yay or nay to carrying Donor cards, my comments were directed at ATG's cnutish remarks about Bikers updating their Donor Cards prior to going out to a Charity event in wet conditions, He's a typical arrogant know feck all commissioned fcukwit !!..
So what your saying is.....;)

In 2013, 362 motorcyclists including pillions were killed on British Roads, compared to 8560 car drivers /passengers. So making sarcastic nasty comments about Bike riders being organ donors isn't either funny or accurate.
Spivdiver.

Just found the thread, and when I saw your figures, I knew they were wrong, in 2013 official figures show there were 331 Motorcyclists (inc Pillion) killed on UK roads and 785 Car Occupants, which you have to admit significantly less then the 8560 you stated.

This is not a dig at motorcyclists, as they have just as many ********* behind the handle bars as there are ********* behind the wheel of cars.

As for organ donors, I think it should be opt out rather than opt in. My sister was lucky n 1979, our mother was a good match for a kidney donor for her, and she had a other 33 years of life after the transplant, many are not that lucky, or they require an organ that we do not carry as a 'spare' and can only get the organ they need from someones tragedy.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
janner Diamond Lil's 7
Rodgersthecabinboy Diamond Lil's 2
A Charity 0