For people revising Naval knowledge

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Dr_Acula, May 25, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I stumbled across some drawings of the major surface combatants somewhere on the internet when I was revising for my AIB. I copied and pasted them (and corrected them - the type 42 had VLSW in front of the sea dart lol) and labelled all of the relevant parts.

He had done other drawings too, but they were so wrong they were beyond repair (or at least, the corrections would have taken more than a couple of minutes).

The only thing I'd perhaps leave out is the STWS (ship's torpedo weapon system) on the aft of the Type 42. They don't have them anymore.

Hope they help!

Attached Files:

2. Hmm, that didn't work as I'd hoped.

If you want to look at them, right click them and 'save target as', then enlarge the box to see them in their full glory! :p

3. Good work thanks, currently losing myself in ships and their associated propulsion and weapon systems this will help, I've also downloaded some ship pictures and have them rotating on laptop background which is helping in identification

4. Nice one - I put these on my toilet door for me to observe whilst I was dropping the kids off at the pool. Works nicely.

Also - remember to revise RFA ships as well. I didn't, though got very lucky with the good ol' not-so-educated guess. I did, however, answer that RFA Wave Ruler was steam propelled... Slightly embarrassing.

5. Magda

Magda War Hero Book Reviewer

:laughing2: Cracking :-D Absolute corker!

These will be really useful Acula, thank you. =-)

7. This might be a stupid question but the Navy website says That HMS Invincible class carriers are fitted with 3x Phalanx/Goalkeeper CIWS does anyone know which type are fitted to Lusty? I think from what I can see on pictures it's goalkeeper, or does it mean 3 of each?

8. For those of you who have iphones there are two apps which could help, UK Warships and A Pocket Guide to the Royal Marines are available. I think both are priced at 59p each. They are available on the iTunes store, www.pod200.com/warships.html
    The Pocket Guide to the RM doesn't work on the iPad.

9. There is also quite a useful app called 'Navy Guide' - it includes the most up-to-date global operations map, information on all current RN and RFA ships, information on the history of the RN (incl. Royal Marines, no Submarine Service or Fleet Air Arm as of yet but looks like they might be coming up in later updates), badges of rank (Officer and Rating), and all ship-based weapons systems currently in service. It also includes links to news stories related to the RN - pulls in reports from multiple sources such as BBC, Navy News, Plymouth Herald, etc.

EDIT: Also, see this link to a PDF file: Royal_Navy_Ships_Subs_Planes_Pullout - Folder Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

It's a PDF file that contains all images of currents ships, taken from the port angle, including RFA vessels, along with other useful information (which you can add to, of course) - simply zoom in to the ones you want to print, and when in the print menu, select 'print current image'. I've got a whole folder full of these things, keep adding information to them over time. It's a bit out of date, but a bit of time on the RN site, Naval Technology or Wikipedia sorts that out. Hope it helps everybody!

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  10. It's goalkeeper on Illustrious. One near the fo'c'sle where the sea dart used to be, one back aft and the third is on the starboard side of the island :)

Last edited: May 26, 2011
  11. Do you carry your toilet door to the pool or do you have your own trap there?

Confused of NATO