For newbies: PERSEC, Facebook, Rum Ration, & social networks.

Was browsing Instagram for Naval pictures the other day, a daughter of one of the crew members for a V-boat that had just gone to sea posted, without redaction, the leaving date, theorised return date and specific name of the V-boat that is currently patrolling in a letter sent to her by the RN. It also had details of the contact for families in event of concerns/emergencies.

God knows if it's still up. Cheltenham need to step up their game.

Was browsing Instagram for Naval pictures the other day, a daughter of one of the crew members for a V-boat that had just gone to sea posted, without redaction, the leaving date, theorised return date and specific name of the V-boat that is currently patrolling in a letter sent to her by the RN. It also had details of the contact for families in event of concerns/emergencies.

God knows if it's still up. Cheltenham need to step up their game.
Instagram is by far the worst for this, search #royalnavy and get a whole host of details from girlfriends and people serving themselves.

Instagram is by far the worst for this, search #royalnavy and get a whole host of details from girlfriends and people serving themselves.
#britisharmy is just as bad. In two days I've seen two people post their 'starting training' letters with their full address, their place and date of commencement of training, and their full service number.

#britisharmy is just as bad. In two days I've seen two people post their 'starting training' letters with their full address, their place and date of commencement of training, and their full service number.
Its terrible isnt it, you would hope that common sense would prevail somewhere but no.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Yep, it's an interesting one. To make official comments about the armed forces, as a service person, you need the express permission of an Admiral/General/Air Marshall - I kid you not.

On the other side of the coin, as a private individual you are heartily encouraged to promote the service on social media but even that comes at a cost if you disclose anything controversial, political, inappropriate or worse still, anything that affects operational or personal security.

It's a bit of a minefield & even after 7 years posting on social media, I find I have to tread a narrow path and be extremely cautious.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Just a "heads-up" - for those in the selection process for Comms Tech or any other branches of the service involving covert or restricted duties:

Be aware social media is closely monitored by by various security agencies - this includes Facebook groups that you may mistakenly think are "closed groups". Or WhatsApp groups. They ain't secure. :eek:

Blabbing about security clearance issues, travelling times, where you live, about family members or what your job may entail and suchlike is really, really not a good idea.

Anyone found posting restricted information in the public domain, even in supposedly restricted groups, can be rejected and ineligible to re-apply to join any branch of the Armed Forces for up to five years.

Just a "heads-up" - for those in the selection process for Comms Tech or any other branches of the service involving covert or restricted duties:

Be aware social media is closely monitored by by various security agencies - this includes Facebook groups that you may mistakenly think are "closed groups". Or WhatsApp groups. They ain't secure. :eek:

Blabbing about security clearance issues, travelling times, where you live, about family members or what your job may entail and suchlike is really, really not a good idea.

Anyone found posting restricted information in the public domain, even in supposedly restricted groups, can be rejected and ineligible to re-apply to join any branch of the Armed Forces for up to five years.
I'm curious - at what point do we give the applicants the formal instruction that their social media is being monitored, and what the potential implications are? Do we give them information in how to make closed groups properly closed, as well as securing their information on social media?

I'd be interesting in the legality of BSS or GHCQ (or FEWSG) monitoring my WhatsApp without an appropriate warrant and/or my explicit approval.

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
This is an interesting debate - if people are applying to join, do not have an offer of employment and are going through the process, at what point is it appropriate to begin observing them?

There is a challenging point where you have to ask if someone is not in, is it appropriate to subject them to the standards and values of the Service, if they've not been properly briefed on the expectations, nor joined it. I refer to the BRNC thread recently where it was clear BRNC was holding new entrants to account for prior activity.

I worry that overly keen individuals will see the MOD subjected to an enormous and hugely expensive lawsuit soon.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Fully agree it is a particularly interesting topic of debate as they have not signed any official undertaking prior to joining.

Years back, you used to sign the Official Secrets Act at your AFCO, prior to joining. Not any more though.

The security agencies monitoring civilians social media activities before they join may well find themselves entering into new territory. I guess the proof is in the pudding - once an applicant gets knocked-back for 5 years for "being indiscreet" without formal prior warning or official warning from the same agency conducting the vetting, it will truly be interesting what the courts have to say :)

I think this is probably scare mongering from an ill-informed desk officer, and means little in the real world. I have mates on my FB who are SF, and they still post there.

I'd suggest that the limited resources of the Security Services aren't going to focussed on people wanting a job in the Armed Forces.

Once you are in it is, and will be, very different. However you explicitly consented to everything that happens, or the RNP have a warrant for it.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I think this is probably scare mongering from an ill-informed desk officer, and means little in the real world.
Time will tell I guess.

We (AFCOs) are not currently mandated to caution potential joiners about their social media activities & there is a fairly robust code of conduct for service personnel already.

It is particularly interesting as it is the next stage on from the dits you hear about employers checking-up on their employees & future employees, sacking or knocking-back those who say nasty things about the company.

All I'd advise, notwithstanding basic human rights, is applicants should be discreet on social media - particularly if they post under their real name.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...h9yH_kVYQ&sig2=FRvFPHXAEDI8KANO3lcCVA&cad=rja

The Govts' official advice on the use of social media in the recruitment process.

Employers should make applicants aware at an early stage of the recruitment process that they may conduct such searches. This may be included in a job advert or as part of the terms and conditions for the role.
Do we do this? Genuine question, and frankly @Ninja_Stoker will know far more than the internet!

And from a Govt study in the use of social media in recruiting

“It is unclear how privacy laws will be interpreted when it comes to information an individual posts on a Social Network Site. Key legal questions are whether the individual consented to the information being made available to everyone, whether the information is relevant to the employment decision, and whether the information falls within a protected realm of personal privacy even if a person makes the information available to many people or does not use provided privacy settings.” (Clark and Roberts, 2010)
http://www.acas.org.uk/media/pdf/0/b/The-use-of-social-media-in-the-recruitment-process.pdf

I suggest the RN steps very, very carefully...

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CC8QFjACahUKEwjP9PeNuMTHAhVSa9sKHT4jCGw&url=https://www.cpni.gov.uk/documents/publications/2015/use%20of%20internet%20in%20pre-employment%20screening.pdf?epslanguage=en-gb&ei=3HrcVc-WOtLW7Qa-xqDgBg&usg=AFQjCNGGCd9BxzLIo4qrT1U-Hh9yH_kVYQ&sig2=FRvFPHXAEDI8KANO3lcCVA&cad=rja

The Govts' official advice on the use of social media in the recruitment process.

"Employers should make applicants aware at an early stage of the recruitment process that they may conduct such searches. This may be included in a job advert or as part of the terms and conditions for the role."

Do we do this? Genuine question, and frankly @Ninja_Stoker will know far more than the internet!

And from a Govt study in the use of social media in recruiting

“It is unclear how privacy laws will be interpreted when it comes to information an individual posts on a Social Network Site. Key legal questions are whether the individual consented to the information being made available to everyone, whether the information is relevant to the employment decision, and whether the information falls within a protected realm of personal privacy even if a person makes the information available to many people or does not use provided privacy settings.” (Clark and Roberts, 2010)

http://www.acas.org.uk/media/pdf/0/b/The-use-of-social-media-in-the-recruitment-process.pdf

I suggest the RN steps very, very carefully...
There is a recent communique advising AFCOs to brief candidates to be circumspect with regard social media, hence the thread-bump, however I'm unable to find any reference to this in the Recruiting Operations Manual or BR3...yet.

The Baseline Personal Security Standard only establishes identity, integrity & suitability is checked. Unless I've missed it (entirely possible) there's no mention of a specific brief about social media in the recruiting process.

It's probably not one to get too excited about, just a case of applying common sense. My guess is something was spotted online by chance rather than by design.

Trainer

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Living as I do in a great area free of trouble,
2004 Acacia boulevard,
Shetland Wood,
Selthorpe,
Bedfordshire.

I do not see as anyone would worry about personal security. We have never bothered with it. My dear departed husband Henry Billiton, who never hid the fact he worked in the Maze, who was murdered by IRA gunmen in a cowardly attack when he was on his way home, thought it was made too much of as well.
The Nigerian lady I sent my bank details to so she could send me a donation over my loss is also not bothered as she sent me her details, some quite personal.
No all in all I do think there is an touch of paranoia surrounding security.

If anybody wants me for terrorist hits, I'm staying in a pub. I can be contacted and found care of the landlady:

Mrs Ivy Likes,
The Cock Inn,
Tillit,
Herts.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
A brief reminder for those intending to join or already serving, who use Twitter, Facebook, Rum Ration, Instagram etc.,

DON'T post copies of your "Offer of Service" Letters or any other official documentation which discloses your personal details. Personal Security post#1 refers to the reason why.

Those found compromising their personal or operational security prior to joining will undoubtedly find themselves joining under a cloud as the training staff and security services maintain a watch over social media.

Further to the above observations with regard the rights of the individual prior to joining - it is now expected that AFCO documentation will carry an advisory notice.