For all you cold folk in th UK - WFA

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I do hope this helps the older members of the RR community spend their WFA wisely!!

WINTER FUEL ALLOWANCE

About this time of the year, older taxpayers will again be receiving another 'Winter Fuel’ payment.

This is indeed a very exciting programme and I'll explain it by using a Q & A format:

Q. What is a 'Winter Fuel’ payment ?
A. It is money the government will send to taxpayers.

Q. Where will the government get this money ?
A. From taxpayers.

Q. So the government is giving me back my own money ?
A. Only a smidgen of it.

Q. What is the purpose of this payment ?
A. The plan is for you to use the money to purchase gas and electricity...or a high-definition TV set, thus stimulating the economy.

Q. But isn't that stimulating the economy of China?
A. Shut up.

Below is some helpful advice on how to best help the U.K. Economy by spending your 'Winter Fuel’ cheque wisely:

* If you spend the money at Asda or Tesco, the money will go to China, Taiwan or Sri Lanka

* If you spend it on petrol your money will go to the Arabs

* If you purchase a computer it will go to India, Taiwan or China

* If you purchase fruit and vegetables it will go to Mexico , Honduras and Guatemala

If you buy an efficient car it will go to Japan or Korea

* If you purchase useless stuff it will go to Taiwan

* If you pay off your credit cards or buy shares, it will go to management bonuses and they will hide it offshore.

Instead, keep the money in the UK by:

1. Spending it at car boot sales

2. Going to night clubs

3. Spending it on prostitutes

4. Buying beer or whisky

5. Getting yourself a Tattoo

6. Visiting a bookie

(These are the only UK businesses still operating in the U.K. )

Conclusion: Be patriotic - go to a night club with a tattooed prostitute that you met at a car boot sale and drink beer day and night !

No need to thank me...just glad I could be of help

MG Maniac

War Hero
Take it your £300 has landed on the mate in sunny Spain then Sonar???? I trust that you are going to spend it wisely on Gin (Gordons English) ... unless thats been taken over??

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
So am I - the weather has broken and it is only 16 today and the mountains are pure white for the first time this year.

SWMBO is dripping, but she has plenty of jumpers and fleeces. The law (me!) says no form of artificial heating is allowed until December!!

MG Maniac

War Hero
So am I - the weather has broken and it is only 16 today and the mountains are pure white for the first time this year.

SWMBO is dripping, but she has plenty of jumpers and fleeces. The law (me!) says no form of artificial heating is allowed until December!!

You miserable old bugger!

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Wits - haven't got any air-con as we hate it. The daily sea breeze is quite sufficient during the summer, but we don't get stupidly hot here anyway, usually only mid 30s. Agree about the price of the lecky though! The gits here have NOT put up the price of the actual lecky, but the ramped up the standing charges big time!

Handler - we bought off-plan years ago and our place is still worth at least double what we paid. Sorry to disappoint!

Sadly 'they' also put 10% on alchohol recently, so gin is now just over 4 euros a bottle - criminal I say!

MG - she wore me down - one bar of the gas fire is now on!!!

MG Maniac

War Hero
Sadly 'they' also put 10% on alchohol recently, so gin is now just over 4 euros a bottle - criminal I say!

MG - she wore me down - one bar of the gas fire is now on!!!
You and me both ... held out as long as I could then the incessant bleating down my port lughole got through and the boiler got flashed up ... then I found out that despite having the system serviced in the summer one of the motorised valves needed replacing so it was a few more days while the heating engineer got his act together and fixed it. Place is like the hot house at Kew gardens now!

4 Euro's for gin! Criminal!

MG =D

MaiBelle

Lantern Swinger
Out of curiosity...why didn't your wives just turn on the heating themselves when they got cold? I've been turning mine on since September (but it's an all inclusive rent :))

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Old engineering is good engineering MGM, if in doubt, give it a clout. If it won't go, give it a blow (with a hammer before the comments start ;) )

MG Maniac

War Hero
Old engineering is good engineering MGM, if in doubt, give it a clout. If it won't go, give it a blow (with a hammer before the comments start ;) )
:laughing5: ... thought that might get you out of the woodwork! But agree ... good clout with a 4lb starter does the trick .... sometimes!

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Out of curiosity...why didn't your wives just turn on the heating themselves when they got cold? I've been turning mine on since September (but it's an all inclusive rent :))

a) She can't carry in the gas bottles.
b) She can't operate the fire with broken fingers.
c) She has lots of jumpers/fleeces and 2 mohair throws at 120 euros a pop.
d) The temperature indoors WITH NO HEATING is 24 degrees.

finknottle

Banned
Nice to get some of my tax payments back, paid it straight onto my gas and electric account otherwise it would go on a new pair of shoes and handbag for Mrs F.

2badge_mango

War Hero
I must be getting seen orf here. The WFA was always paid straight into my bank account until Mrs Mango hit 65. Since then we get half each paid into our respective accounts - and guess who pays the fuel bill!

2BM

fishhead

War Hero
I must be getting seen orf here. The WFA was always paid straight into my bank account until Mrs Mango hit 65. Since then we get half each paid into our respective accounts - and guess who pays the fuel bill!

2BM
You were doubly seen `orf Mango as Mrs M was receiving her share before she was 65. Now you know what paid for those nice slippers you've been getting for Crimbo.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil i News: "'You’re Only Ever 15 minutes Away From Launching A Missile': What It Was Like To Be A Cold War Submariner" Submariners 13
Stirlin Cold War Kids Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 0
MoD_RSS Cold weather alert issued by PHE MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Highways England prepares for first cold snap MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Cold weather health warnings issued by PHE MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Pensions cold-calling banned MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Cold weather health warnings issued by PHE MoD News 0
G Small cold- medical Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 32
janner Cold War Submarine - Ocelot. Submariners 37
M Cold calling on the Recruitment Office. What can you expect. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
chrismonc87 Why is it so hard to run with cold and blocked nose!! Health & Fitness 32
soleil Falmouth Packet: "Major Anti-Submarine Exercises Off Cornwall Biggest Since Cold War" The Fleet 11
soleil BBC Magazine: "Life On A British Cold War Submarine" Submariners 4
soleil BBC2 - Friday, November 8th 2013 - "Cold War, Hot Jets" The Fleet Air Arm 5
bacon28 Recommended Book's on RN or USN Submarine's during the cold war The Book Club 17
soleil Expr: "'Cold War Cat And Mouse Games Put Us On Red Alert,' Says Submarine Commander Submariners 21
soleil Navy News: Westminster Kills Two Targets ‘Stone-Cold Dead’ In Seawolf Missile Trials The Fleet 3
soleil Telegraph: "The Defence Secretary’s Cold War On Further Military Cuts" Current Affairs 1
soleil Shipping Times: "Former Cold War Enemy Visits Clyde Naval Base" Bases / Shore Est 6
fails_as_is I expect this will go down like a cup of cold sick... Current Affairs 32
Waspie German braves the cold - PMSL Miscellaneous 2
janner Cold winter Miscellaneous 0
soleil ITV: "Cold War Submarine Marks Decade As Museum" Submariners 6
trelawney126 Monica left out in the Cold by Bill Diamond Lil's 0
soleil Exercise Cold Response 2012 The Fleet 3
janner Government issued travel warning due to the cold weather. Miscellaneous 4
labrum A new Cold War in the offing? Current Affairs 9
soleil Mail: "Officer, I've Found A Missile In My Van: Cold War Relic Triggers Evacuation" Current Affairs 7
Merlin28 Don't let your tea go cold The Book Club 2
ex_wasp_L2 Hot or Cold Miscellaneous 1
sgtpepperband Pompey News: "Russian Cold War Maps" History 1
P Book: "Submarine Courageous - Cold War Warrior: The ...." Submariners 4
soleil Herald: "So you think it's cold in Plymouth?" The Corps 0
A New Cold War Current Affairs 20
soleil Norway 2010: Cold Weather Warfare Course The Corps 6
soleil Norway 2010: Cold Weather Survival Course The Corps 0
Rodgersthecabinboy Good for a laugh on a cold night Diamond Lil's 7
BillyNoMates A diesel in a cold place. Submariners 8
_Tim_ It's damn cold... Health & Fitness 12
Cpt_Black So this is why I've always got a cold... Diamond Lil's 2