For all Newbies.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by higthepig, May 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There are fifty four pages (54) of newbies, may i make a suggestion without upsetting any of you? Read through them before you post.

This is an UNOFFICIAL SITE, if you do not understand what unofficial means, look it up in the dictionary.

If you are unable to do that because you cannot spell the word, then ask your dad.

If your dad is thirty five or under, ask your Granddad.

The recruiting Offices are staffed by Ex Sailors, and serving Sailors( so I`m told)

They lead a boring life, they would love, nay, they would pray, for you people to come in and ask them the questions that you ask on here, lets face it they need a laugh to cheer them up.

So think before you post, it is preferable if you can speak English.

You are not expected at this stage in your life to be able to spell or even count, but just think how the Recruiters would feel if you could.

Copy and paste this to all of your friends.

I know he won`t cos he`s wiser than me, but Ninja, this really should be a sticky?

2. Here endeth the first lesson
    Tomorrows reading from the book of Hig is entitled
    "Manners who needs them innit"

3. Newbies are already given this advice, but I feel a potential tantrum throwers daft question livens up the day.
    I know that my (Several drafts after the first terse expletive ridden version) replies are taken with a pinch of salt by the young thrusters who just can't wait until 9AM or Monday morning until their burning question (Hair Gel Neg or Pos, Grip size, will it affect my career? etc etc) is answered by their elders and betters on RR.
    The site would, I think, be the poorer if we didn't have numpties asking why, what, when, who and where.
    NZB

4. But dont forget this site is here to help and this for some is there first ever job and they dont know the big outside world a daft question to you is not to them. So lets not mock the questions on but give advice. Chill out on going on about spelling and grammer as along as you can understand the question who cares look at text messages the spelling is not always correct but we understand.

Chill the hell out mate...........

5. But dont forget this site is here to help and this for some is there first ever job and they dont know the big outside world a daft question to you is not to them. So lets not mock the questions on but give advice. Chill out on going on about spelling and grammer as along as you can understand the question who cares look at text messages the spelling is not always correct but we understand.

6. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Whilst I enjoy a good giggle at some of the naive questions on here, and may even occasionally take the piss I think it's worth remembering that a simple question to the careers office for a young lad or lass isn't really that anymore especially if they don't drive and phoning inevitably results in a conversation with a crab! Trip to the nearest careers office from my house is either 32 miles South or 26 miles West! (if you waited for a bus you would be here long after the next election)

That being said I think Hig has a good point, it is idle to just post without reading through at least the topic titles in newbies, the stickies are a good place to start. Isn't it a little bizarre that we have so many more recruiting questions on here than say ARRSE does?

7. Edited to say 'We should not have to reply to this shite'

Edited again, on purpose.

8. ...without the Newby bonehead questions Hig, some of us would spend our entire working day straight-faced. The hair gel question caused much amusement amongst my male colleagues. :lol:

PS: How can a civvy like me learn what you real sailors get up to without reading it, warts'n'all, from the matelots' bacteria laden keyboards? :biggrin:

9. Probably because everyone wants to be a sailor! As my mother used to remind me when I was small and innocent.... A sailor has a girl in EVERY port! :biggrin:

...little did she know! :lol:

10. Hig you could, of course, refrain from opening Newbie posts as has been suggested before.
    NZB

11. Perhaps you are right, I merely pointed out that there are 54 newbie threads, perhaps if they searched through them they would`nt ask the questions that they get abused over, if thats wrong then say the word and the post will be deleted.

12. No probs with your post from this quarter.
    NZB

13. I did wonder whether we should not take the piss out of newbies who ask daft questions as it might put them off joining but then thought why not. If they really are that thick does the andrew really need them. Shirley, the days of recruiting retards and immediately making them GI's is over. ;P

Oops, better get me anti-flash gear on.

14. Hi Higs, Welcome back. You were one of the guys who helped make RumRation worth visiting.

Rightly or wrongly, the RN is the laughing stock of the developed armed forces of the world, especially the USA and the Aussies . So what is the RN going to do about it? I know! How about cuddling the Newbies and protecting them from nasty thoughts or words which may lower their self esteem? Over the top, perhaps, but are there any senior rates on here who can say, hand on heart, that their RN boarding parties are nails and up for a fire-fight?

With regard Newbies, I have to hold my hand up and say "Guilty". Newbies are the reason I do not visit the site so often anymore. Why? Because, RR appears to have become the recruitment site. Worse, some people think we should be offering not wise advice but careers advice, often to people whom we would never think of serving alongside or having in our troop.

Criticising the Newbies is often regarded as bullying, but the accusation is usually made by the most fat arssed, right wing bigoted bastards on here, and they delight in telling the rest of us to leave the newbies alone. Before I am misinterpreted, I think Ninja does a great job , but we should have only one Ninja! Also, he is not a useless fat git :)

Enough of being kind to newbies! That's Ninja's job. The rest of us should scare them shitless and observe which of them still wish to join.

Lots of love, Harry xx

15. Now thats the way the truth should be spoken, sounds like any Senior rate I came across in the mid eighties, tell it as it is and feck your feelings. This country is to PC for its own good. Oops I'd better get off my soap box before I get thrown off.

16. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 21:54 Post subject: Re: For all Newbies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But dont forget this site is here to help and this for some is there first ever job and they dont know the big outside world a daft question to you is not to them. So lets not mock the questions on but give advice. Chill out on going on about spelling and grammer as along as you can understand the question who cares look at text messages the spelling is not always correct but we understand.

HOPPY1403

Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 21:54 Post subject: Re: For all Newbies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But dont forget this site is here to help and this for some is there first ever job and they dont know the big outside world a daft question to you is not to them. So lets not mock the questions on but give advice. Chill out on going on about spelling and grammer as along as you can understand the question who cares look at text messages the spelling is not always correct but we understand.

Another thing thats annoying, Newbies that post twice and can't be bothered to go back and delete one of the duplicated entries. :dwarf:

Got your entry date yet???????

17. Hig the Pig - wtf?

Maybe you should not stereotype Newbies from day one and ask for the title of this post to be changed to 'Some Newbies'.

And as for wasting time on posts - I understand your frustration - I find myself forever schrolling through past posts about the same topics. But these are easily rectified with stickies etc.

18. Well I care about spelling and grammar for starters. I believe that the spelling and grammar of some newbies is bad enough to imply that they took no notice of lessons whilst at school and are likely to treat any naval training with the same lack of interest.
    If they can't be bothered to write in the Queens English then they won't to bothered to fight and maintain the Queens ships and equipment

19. Do I have to name-label my toothbrush for BRNC?

:dwarf:

20. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

+

Yes and regulations say Boys will only have blue toothbrushes and Girls pink ones :dwarf: