FoodBev.Com: "Pusser's Navy Rum Now Available At Harrods"

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by soleil, Sep 6, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Unless its used as an AID to cooking. Sort of like.... Swig a bit, cook a bit, swig a bit more, cook a bit more..... Burn the house down. That might be acceptable.

Sent via Heliograph from the Jebel Birkenhead

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

MINI, surely..? :?

Anyway, surely it should be entitled: "Dark Rum Of Questionable Taste And Quality, But Synonymous With Old Matelots, Is Now On Sale In An Expensive London Tourist Trap And Dozens Of Other Vendors..." :roll:

3. Thats what they meant by 'navy cake'

4. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Rum has always been added to the Navy Christmas cakes and Christmas pud. Looking at the advert for Harrods 'Pussers Rum'I see it is 40% proof. To my knowledge 'Pussers' was way over that proof.

5. Thats ABV Granny, I think that makes it 80% proof

6. This certin rum s stocks would not deplete if it was down to me it is nothing at all like the blue label .#so for me you go ahead and cook with it

7. As connoisseurs, would you say that it is worth paying the extra for Pusser's 15 year old rather than standard Pusser's rum?

Given a tot of each, but not knowing which bottles they were from, would you be able to tell the difference between the two?

8. Probably not as Pussers Rum is not the same as rum as was issued in the days when the RN had the tot.
    I like many other old farts drank the tot cos it was FREEEE!

9. Not only free Slim, but one of the social highlights of the day.

10. Not when you can get a much better Rum than Pusser's such as Diplomatico, Mount Gay or Appleton Estate for less.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I think pussers rum was a Demerara rum and I'm not sure that Mount Gay etc are, can you say one is better than another when they are differnt blends.

12. Pussers rum was a blend of West Indies rums although Australian rum appeadr occasionally

13. Pussers rum was a blend of all sorts of things, especially if a stoker was Bubbly Bosun, never knew what he had his hands in or on. No worries though cos pussers rum killed ALL known germs:tongue:

14. Had a google around and........
    Demerara rum is a type of rum made in Guyana, on the northern coast of South America. English-speaking Guyana has been a sugar producing country since the 17th century, and was the original rum supplied to the British Navy.

15. Well, yes. Much as you can decide what is a good and what is a poor wine regardless of appellation, origin or vinification.

16. 15yo Pussers rum has been around for a while, I used to get it in a Whisky shop n Keswick until it shut a few years back, paid £34 a bottle, but you can get it on line for a damn sight less than harrods price (btw, its a damn nice drop, you could equate the difference to being that of a good single malt over a Bells)

Pusser's Navy Rum / 15 Year Old : Buy Online - The Whisky Exchange

Even a site selling Standard Blue label, that comes with a free Black Tot Day T Shirt

TheDrinkShop.com : Product Search

17. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

As MLP implied, most people wouldn't know good rum (or wine, etc.) if it slapped them in the arse. Many judge the flavour of what they're drinking by how much it cost them when they picked it off the shelf (three for £10 in Tesco, anybody?). But there is clearly a market for nostalgia; if Pusser's Rum came in a plain bottle with no logo on it, I imagine most people wouldn't touch it with a barge pole - but stick a White Ensign on it, and somehow that adds 'authenticity' to it's quality...

• Like Like x 1