Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Food

Snapper
a selection from the 1960's and maybe beyond

Shit on a raft
Babies Heads
Train Smash
Eggie, Cheesie, Hammie.

If you were lucky enough to be a conventional Boat Submariners everything came with just a touch of diesel, did nothing for the taste but kept you very regular, which Matron says is important.

Food on base is shocking, even BRNC is run by Sodexho and is all Halal (even the pork somehow?!)

Seriously though, when I've been on course and had a matelot or bootie cook, the food has been hoofing, yet when they contract it out its manufactured cr@p on a plate!

Let the Sailors or Booties cook and you'll have much happier servicemen/women, which means they will stay in longer, which saves the MOD money in the long run.

Pot Noodle and a packet of Square Salt and Vinegar crisps from thr NAAFI go down a treat,leaves more room for the beers and the triple bacon cheese burger from the oggie van at 2345.

S*hit On A Raft

Gents, I'm a newbie directed to your auspicious pages from ARRSE. I have been searching for a definitive RN recipe for authentic RN S*hit On A Raft. Is it served anymore, can someone tell me the true way to prepare it and how much rum is in the authentic version?

The Wardroom in HMS Charybdis (84/5ish) provided me with the best I've ever tasted, but nothing since has compared. Before the p*ss taking starts - no it wasn't particularly salty!

UncleAlbert said:
Hi Snappy
When you get to Raleigh you should find quite a varied menu, my favourite was charcoaled walnut encrusted salmon fillet with a white wine cream sauce, cold and crisp dry Riesling to drink and for the sauce, lightly steamed and flash sautéed with fresh minced garlic crisp asparagus and fingerling white potatoes,
Appetizer, small bread rolls fresh from the galley ovens and cut as thin as they dare, then ask for them to be lightly toasted with a topping of creamed cheese wrapped with smoked salmon. Or keeping with the salmon theme, fresh salmon roe, smoked salmon, was always a favorite on the Albion. Neufchatel, chopped shallot, capers, crackers and a glass of crisp Domain Canneries,

Picture a stainless palate, with the white wine sauce on 1/2, salmon fillet in center, potatoes on side and asparagus fanned out over the salmon, maybe a few cherry tomato halves for a good red color, sprig of basil, lemon wedge and chive spears to finish garnish.
Desert should be Thai with sticky rice cooked in sweetened coconut milk served hot with half of an ice cold mango on top.

Hope this helps

………

Snapdragon,

This may be what UA thinks he ate when he thought he was Admiral at BRNC in the 1950s, but you only used to get this kind of fare at Greenwich, which I sampled as a guest in the 1980s. Do you like baked beans on toast? :wink:

When UA joined the RN as a Powder Monkey (2nd class) the scran consisted of bread and dripping and a mug of sweet tea most days, with cheese on Fridays and Herrings on Sundays. It's changed a bit since Lionel Yexley was UA's sea dad. :lol:

AAC.

snapdragon said:
Mmmm, steak? Sounds good. What's the veggie stuff like? Tell me it's not constant nut roast :)

I try to get a lot of calories in through carbohydrates, i have a ridiculously fast metabolism- i never put on weight and get super tired if i don't eat all the time.

If its protein you're after, I may be able to help you out. Did someone mention spitroast?

Contracted catering isn't that bad in my experience. What is bad is PAYD and all its implications....Pizza, burgers, fried this, fried that.

There is a duty of care issue here as well: End of the month, young and inexperienced sailor pissed away his wage with no money left for scran. What happens then? Who is responsible for ensuring young trainees get enough to eat?

Even without PAYD I see young sailors ignoring paid-for-scran in favour of walking over the road and buying crisps and pot noodles from ASDA.

Panama_Jack said:
snapdragon said:
Mmmm, steak? Sounds good. What's the veggie stuff like? Tell me it's not constant nut roast :)

I try to get a lot of calories in through carbohydrates, i have a ridiculously fast metabolism- i never put on weight and get super tired if i don't eat all the time.

If its protein you're after, I may be able to help you out. Did someone mention spitroast?

In Yexley's day the protein came from the cockroaches... toasted, of course! :lol:

Always_a_Civvy said:
UncleAlbert said:
Hi Snappy
When you get to Raleigh you should find quite a varied menu, my favourite was charcoaled walnut encrusted salmon fillet with a white wine cream sauce, cold and crisp dry Riesling to drink and for the sauce, lightly steamed and flash sautéed with fresh minced garlic crisp asparagus and fingerling white potatoes,
Appetizer, small bread rolls fresh from the galley ovens and cut as thin as they dare, then ask for them to be lightly toasted with a topping of creamed cheese wrapped with smoked salmon. Or keeping with the salmon theme, fresh salmon roe, smoked salmon, was always a favorite on the Albion. Neufchatel, chopped shallot, capers, crackers and a glass of crisp Domain Canneries,

Picture a stainless palate, with the white wine sauce on 1/2, salmon fillet in center, potatoes on side and asparagus fanned out over the salmon, maybe a few cherry tomato halves for a good red color, sprig of basil, lemon wedge and chive spears to finish garnish.
Desert should be Thai with sticky rice cooked in sweetened coconut milk served hot with half of an ice cold mango on top.

Hope this helps

………

Snapdragon,

This may be what UA thinks he ate when he thought he was Admiral at BRNC in the 1950s, but you only used to get this kind of fare at Greenwich, which I sampled as a guest in the 1980s. Do you like baked beans on toast? :wink:

AAC.

Like most naval messes Greenwich was good certainly when I was there in the late 60s, although the staff was civilian they still ahd RN supervision. The last dinner I went to in a wardroon was I fear a shadow of what it had been in the past, courtesy of Sodhexo who I fear have given a very bad name to industrial catering through out the world.

Peter

When I was on killicks course at Lee on Solent in 67 we had civvies cooks in the junior rates galley. When asked for extra meat or anything it was normally refused with the excuse you'e had your ration. The food was crap. Changed after anotherkillick spotted one of the civies putting a parcel into his saddlebag. gate was informed, civie searched, don't know what happenned to him but the food seemed to improve after that.

You only get what you pay for and whilst good money goes out to pay for contractorisation of the shore-side galleys, the reality is that the lions share goes to the contractor (profit) and the bit that's left is shared out between, wages, other overheads and cost of victuals.

Don't see why they don't start weearing a Dick Turpin style mask. Bloody criminals!

SF

Latest Threads