Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Food

What's food like in the Navy? I'm not fussy (far from it), just curious. I know everyone likes to drip about it, but i wouldn't mind knowing the sort of stuff that's served up. I'm only a wee lass, i need plenty of calories otherwise i don't work right :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Food is generally good but can be a little monotonous in some places. Usually cater for most tastes though and it's free at sea (cause you don't have a choice on going somewhere else).

Not quite the fast food world that the modern teenager enjoys so much though.

SF

You know, i see people queueing for McDonalds even on a Sunday dinnertime. Eurgh.
I think it doesn't sound too bad. Got to beat my cooking anyway! Naw, i'm not too bad but i've cooked since i left school 'cause my mom's shocking at it. And it'd be nice not to have to!

Fuckin' awesome - though it can get a bit repetitive. However you try changing a menu that the traditionalists like, eg: Chinese Nights, Pizza Night, Steak Night, Roast lunch on Sun, Fish on Friday, etc. Although it seems like a little thing, you cannot imagine the confusion the reigns when steak appears on Wednesday. As for calories - a hell of a lot of them, but there is a high fat content. after all - we need the energy for all the exercise we do and the constant activity of life on a ship - my arse.

RAIDER_OF_THE_LOST_CAUSE said:
Shore based galley scran used to be pretty good when we had matelot/bootie chefs, now it's contracted out ..... let's just say Jamie Oliver's input would'nt go amiss!
Yeah we could roast the little twat over a spit :lol:

Mmmm, steak? Sounds good. What's the veggie stuff like? Tell me it's not constant nut roast :)

I try to get a lot of calories in through carbohydrates, i have a ridiculously fast metabolism- i never put on weight and get super tired if i don't eat all the time.

Hi Snappy
When you get to Raleigh you should find quite a varied menu, my favourite was charcoaled walnut encrusted salmon fillet with a white wine cream sauce, cold and crisp dry Riesling to drink and for the sauce, lightly steamed and flash sautéed with fresh minced garlic crisp asparagus and fingerling white potatoes,
Appetizer, small bread rolls fresh from the galley ovens and cut as thin as they dare, then ask for them to be lightly toasted with a topping of creamed cheese wrapped with smoked salmon. Or keeping with the salmon theme, fresh salmon roe, smoked salmon, was always a favorite on the Albion. Neufchatel, chopped shallot, capers, crackers and a glass of crisp Domain Canneries,

Picture a stainless palate, with the white wine sauce on 1/2, salmon fillet in center, potatoes on side and asparagus fanned out over the salmon, maybe a few cherry tomato halves for a good red color, sprig of basil, lemon wedge and chive spears to finish garnish.
Desert should be Thai with sticky rice cooked in sweetened coconut milk served hot with half of an ice cold mango on top.

Hope this helps

………

UncleAlbert said:
Hi Snappy
When you get to Raleigh you should find quite a varied menu, my favourite was charcoaled walnut encrusted salmon fillet with a white wine cream sauce, cold and crisp dry Riesling to drink and for the sauce, lightly steamed and flash sautéed with fresh minced garlic crisp asparagus and fingerling white potatoes,
Appetizer, small bread rolls fresh from the galley ovens and cut as thin as they dare, then ask for them to be lightly toasted with a topping of creamed cheese wrapped with smoked salmon. Or keeping with the salmon theme, fresh salmon roe, smoked salmon, was always a favorite on the Albion. Neufchatel, chopped shallot, capers, crackers and a glass of crisp Domain Canneries,

Picture a stainless palate, with the white wine sauce on 1/2, salmon fillet in center, potatoes on side and asparagus fanned out over the salmon, maybe a few cherry tomato halves for a good red color, sprig of basil, lemon wedge and chive spears to finish garnish.
Desert should be Thai with sticky rice cooked in sweetened coconut milk served hot with half of an ice cold mango on top.

Hope this helps

………
My ribs hurt UA, cheers

Pay as you dine is great if you like a diverse Pizza diet. The common phrase is “would you like chips with that?â€
Shore side the food is ok but pay as you dine now requires you to save money to pay for scran. Our ABs are not eating for a week at the end of the month.

At the beginning its all burgers and pizzas because the Core meal is bland and repetitive.

Ships scran is exquisite and it’s free! BZ to the cooks…

Cheesy Hammy Eggies rock!

Latest Threads