Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Food

The great Faslane bread scandal of '81.

Jack was dripping like septic dick because there was hardly any bread to wrap around his chips.

The Caterer and Breadman were in cahoots over signing for non existant Mother's Pride and then splitting the proceeds.

Imagine!
Getting between Jack and his chip butties and expecting to get away with it!

Father Famine wrote: As a good Caterer I never had a Mask, I didn't hide, I told the bare faced truth. "We only get £*.** a day so we can't afford that.

I wasn't having a pop at RN Chefs and caterers mate. It's the whole contractorisation of everything that pisses me off and in particular the fact that so much of the cost of these arrangements never makes it into the quality of service / goods provided.

SF

Streaky said:
The great Faslane bread scandal of '81.

Jack was dripping like septic dick because there was hardly any bread to wrap around his chips.

The Caterer and Breadman were in cahoots over signing for non existant Mother's Pride and then splitting the proceeds.

Imagine!
Getting between Jack and his chip butties and expecting to get away with it!

I'm amazed there wasn't a mutiny - The Faslane Bread Mutiny. Chip butties, yummy... with lots of ketchup smothered on... :D

SILVER_FOX said:
Father Famine wrote: As a good Caterer I never had a Mask, I didn't hide, I told the bare faced truth. "We only get £*.** a day so we can't afford that.

I wasn't having a pop at RN Chefs and caterers mate. It's the whole contractorisation of everything that pisses me off and in particular the fact that so much of the cost of these arrangements never makes it into the quality of service / goods provided.

SF

No probs mate, I didn't think you were I just couldn't resist a joke about the mask, and have to agree wholeheartedly with your statement.

dt018a9667 said:
slim said:
Ark Royal 1976, during the homeward leg the caterers suddunly found a stack of T bone steaks in the freezers. Seemed that they should have been dished out every couple of weks or so but had been forgotten about. solution T bone steak on offer at every meal. After about 5 days jack was tired of T bones. Seems that you can gt too much of a good thing

More like end of the financial year and the had to spend the money or have to return most of the credit balance, and face the wrath of all the other caterers i.e. having next years dma being cut by the bean counters on the basis of you haven’t used it ergo you don’t need it, so everyone else sufers.

No we were on a 9 month deployment and running down supplies

Leave duties, did any one else get to raid the Wardroom's stash of food?

The leading chef on duty was a charmer, he'd ask us what we wanted for scran, we mentioned a few things that we'd never had as JR's, he came back with some cracking stuff! Let us run freely through the Wardroom's stash and turns out they have the delights of hargaan daz!

Not the real world in Fleet terms I know, but the RN Hospitals used to have excellent catering and mess staffs. The passing of Service chefs meant a dip in standards, because, despite some of the banter on here it was pretty obvious that uniformed chefs cared about what they provided. In my very brief period of sea time, I was pretty impressed with what was provided on a very tight budget and, if we were lucky enough to meet a trawler at sea, there were usually a few good days of fresh fish on the menu.

Shipboard bread was also brilliant, in comparison to the pap we got alongside in UK.

And, surely, it's Cheesy, Hammy, Eggy?

when i was at raleigh i liked the fried breakfasts every single morning... did me good but wen i was doin me chefs cource i tried to eat as much of the shit i prepared in class as possible then have desert in traff....

i got bollocked once for walkin through the door and goin straight for the desert he said that it wasnt a good diet and i wasnt allowed....

so i said excuse me mate do i pay for this food....

yes he said...

i said well if i wanted a good diet i wouldnt eat here anyway... plus i have already eaten but my apple pie looked like the shit you prepare here so i just want a desert...

he complained to the chief and i got 35 press ups for being cheeky but i still got my chocolate cake yey...

Jenny_Dabber said:
Leave duties, did any one else get to raid the Wardroom's stash of food?

The leading chef on duty was a charmer, he'd ask us what we wanted for scran, we mentioned a few things that we'd never had as JR's, he came back with some cracking stuff! Let us run freely through the Wardroom's stash and turns out they have the delights of hargaan daz!

And who do you think pays for this extra stuff!!!?

Here's a Menu to cheer you up... what's changed? :wink:

GanMenu1954.jpg

I hadn't realised that shredded wheat went back to 1954! Oooo Manchester Tart and custard... Chocolate roll and chocolate sauce... Yummy! Now those bring back memories of well liked school dinners... and spam fritters with baked beans...

Always_a_Civvy said:
FlagWagger said:
Maxi_77 said:
... courtesy of Sodhexo who I fear have given a very bad name to industrial catering through out the world.

Aramark and Inital Catering are also pretty strong in the "rip off" and "crap food" stakes too in my experience. Lets face it, and as has already been pointed out, the Mob uses civvy contractors to save money and at the same time the contractor is making a profit - its not rocket science to see where the costs will be squeezed: any or all of food quality, quality of service, restriction on choice or food quantity are "quick wins". The problem is that the people who control the purse strings do not have to live with the consequences of their penny-pinching. Its not just the services - local authorities, schools, NHS all get shafted in the same way.

Have you thought of inviting members of the House of Commons Defence Standing Committee to spend a few days at sea with the Andrew and dine them on bog standard naval scran?

Perhaps when HMS Westminster next visits London they might like to have an "Open Ship" day or two and invite MPs to visit AND sample the Sodhexo catering in the JRs messes? Just a suggestion...

MPs could oblige by dining members of the Ship's Company in any one of Parliament's messing facilities, and you could write an article on the experience...

Having lunched with my Wife at the Palace of Westminster as a guest of AAC I can state the food is excellent, as is the service and facilities. I must admit I thought Steve was a bit over the top with the second bottle of champagne but what the hell why should the Lords,Members and Officers of the Palace get it all.

Nutty

Latest Threads