Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Food, accommodation... general salary info please?

drummer91

Hello. I am a 24 year old male considering the navy. As far as I am aware a rating gets £18,125 after phase 2 training is completed? (according to website)

I want more specific info so I can determine whether the navy is financially worthwhile and rewarding. Any info given is appreciated. The things that spring to mind are food, accommodation, uniform etc. Basically, any deduction from my salary and how much to be exact.

Thanks

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
As a rating, I believe you can pretty much expect around £900 to bank each month AFTER all stoppages (food, tax, national insurance, accommodation, etc) for the first six months.

At the six months point, money to bank increases to around £1200 per month after stoppages.

Oh yes.

Free socks.

Only 2 pairs a month though! They're my socks! I paid for them! You don't get em with out a kit record book! Go away, we're closed for stock taking!

In all seriousness though

Bearing in mind, this is a pay slip from living on land, not a ship (so I'm not getting paid as much as I would on a ship) and I'm a fully trained AB, with some time served its not too bad a wage!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So's this guy, had a load taken off me due to the incompetence of a scribes at Culdrose while serving on RFA's and I can't claim them back as for a time period my track and trace just decided to do neither and they claim they don't know where I was, even though I provided photo evidence, as the ship is now Gillette razor blades [/end rant]

Only 2 pairs a month though! They're my socks! I paid for them! You don't get em with out a kit record book! Go away, we're closed for stock taking!

In all seriousness though

Bearing in mind, this is a pay slip from living on land, not a ship (so I'm not getting paid as much as I would on a ship) and I'm a fully trained AB, with some time served its not too bad a wage!

Is that what skimmers earn? jesus - how do you feed yourselves?

Honestly didnt realise they issued pussers socks after Raleigh - I feel im owed back-socks. Is there a JPA claim form somewhere?

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Is that what skimmers earn? jesus - how do you feed yourselves?

Honestly didnt realise they issued pussers socks after Raleigh - I feel im owed back-socks. Is there a JPA claim form somewhere?
There is indeed. Just nip into the UPO and ask for a sock allowance compensation chit. Invariably, the person you speak to initially won't have a clue what you're on about. Just state "Do you know who I am?" followed by "Bring me the CPO Writer this instant" usually speeds things along.

The tip is to call-in when the office is 'closed for training'. ie: Monday mornings, Weds afternoons and Fridays. If no-one is about, a sharp rap on the desk, followed by a "He-llloooo, any bugger actually working here?" Usually helps.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
There is indeed. Just nip into the UPO and ask for a sock allowance compensation chit. Invariably, the person you speak to initially won't have a clue what you're on about. Just state "Do you know who I am?" followed by "Bring me the CPO Writer this instant" usually speeds things along.

The tip is to call-in when the office is 'closed for training'. ie: Monday mornings, Weds afternoons and Fridays. If no-one is about, a sharp rap on the desk, followed by a "He-llloooo, any bugger actually working here?" Usually helps.

Alternatively, kick open the doors to slops, stand with hands on hips and legs apart and shout (in a cowboy accent) "Aaahve come for ma socks", spitting on the deck as soon as you say it gets a quick response.

Alternatively, kick open the doors to slops, stand with hands on hips and legs apart and shout (in a cowboy accent) "Aaahve come for ma socks", spitting on the deck as soon as you say it gets a quick response.

Right - thats it. Im in there today. Not the first time these Wtrs have seen me off - they had the nerve to make me go up there to pick up my rate, and demanded I provided my own rank slides (If I could spell epillettes, epillautes?, I would have so shut up). And if I dont get any joy off them I'm going to put in a service complaint. My feet WILL be clothed at pussers expense, and that is a position I frankly will not budge on.

Spun this dit before - went to VL Slops to change my high leg boots, the ex PO Jack Dusty (Woo Hater) took them away and brought me a replacement pair, it was obvious that one was brand new and the other worn. I questioned his logic and he response was "this is loan clothing shippers not cash clothing!!!", my reply was "No probs, any chance of a left and a right pair then?". His face was a picture as he bimbled off and came back with a brand new boxed pair.

Last edited:
Spun this dit before - went to VL Slops to change my high leg boots, the ex PO Jack Dusty (Woo Hater) took them away and brought me a replacement pair, it was obvious that one was brand new and the other worn. I questioned his logic and he response was "this is loan clothing shippers not cash clothing!!!", my replay was "No probs, any chance of a left and a right pair then?". His face was a picture as he bimbled off and came back with a brand new boxed pair.

The slops here is run by an ex SA too, angriest Jock ive ever met BUT, and this important, he detests officers more than ratings. Which is a true sign of character I think.

It has resulted in a very lucrative bribing business, with most of the wardroom paying me off to go and one-for-one their rig.

(*DISCLAIMER - Of course the above isnt true, I would never knowingly defraud the Navy or any other public body. Even for beer / Costa coffee / time off).

Where you guys at? Every store I've been to the LSC / POSC always seems to be more than happy to serve me, though I guess having the right branch badge an a pack of choccy hobnobs helps

Trainer

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Where you guys at? Every store I've been to the LSC / POSC always seems to be more than happy to serve me, though I guess having the right branch badge an a pack of choccy hobnobs helps

You've obviously not met the Civvie Clothing Stores Mong at a top secret engineering training facility in the Gosport area. Well one of them, the other two are good lads.....

G

guestm

Everybody who worked in Culdrose clothing stores from 2011 - 2013 was a massive, lazy, jobsworth ****. They even got uppity with loaning stuff for the Pitchpole flood teams. The ******* *********.

The truest most ignored phrase in the RN (there's a decent enough title for a new thread...)

"F*** off mate, its not coming out of your pocket" - whilst the SA stares at you like you just asked for a go on his daughter, not a new pair of bats.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Food and accommodation charges before or after tax? Joining the Royal Navy 11
M Cost of food/ accommodation Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
A Accommodation + Food. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
MoD_RSS New rules and logos to protect British food and drink MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New rules and logos to protect British food and drink MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British food and drink to take center stage at upcoming China International Import Expo MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defra updates in agri-food and environmental topics MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Fish speciation for food authenticity: e-seminar MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defra food waste initiatives bear fruit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS ‘Bounce back’ plan for agriculture, food and drink industry launched MoD News 1
MoD_RSS £63 million for local authorities to assist those struggling to afford food and other essentials MoD News 0
MoD_RSS World Food Safety Day 2020 - food safety is our business too MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £16 million for food charities to provide meals for those in need MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Over 1 million food boxes delivered to those most at risk from coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sellafield Ltd donates £10,000 to provide food to the vulnerable MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Over half a million food packages delivered to those at risk MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Cash support for food redistribution during coronavirus outbreak MoD News 0
MoD_RSS First food parcels delivered to clinically vulnerable people MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letter from the Environment Secretary to the food and drink industry MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COVID-19: CMA open letter to pharmaceutical and food and drink industries. MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Growing global appetite for British food and drink exports MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Safe food for tomorrow's world - 2020 Conference programme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS GC team shares expertise in food authenticity in Vietnam MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Over £1m to fund food waste fight MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Walsall fast food boss banned for failing to maintain books MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Agriculture Bill to boost environment and food production MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Pet food company’s recycling negligence leads to charity donation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS World craves British food this Christmas MoD News 0
MoD_RSS GC conference: Safe food for tomorrow's world MoD News 0
B Realistic Food Expectations in the Royal Navy? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 46
MoD_RSS E-seminar: Real-time PCR for food authenticity including horse DNA MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government Chemist at food allergy event in Northern Ireland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Work with China to transform food production: apply for funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK pet food chomps Asia and Middle East markets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK aid partners with Gates Foundation to tackle global food insecurity MoD News 0
MoD_RSS EU Exit guidance for agri-food stakeholders from Defra MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Transforming the way we produce food: apply for business funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UKEF supports new Angolan power infrastructure and development of sustainable food supply MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Environment Secretary champions Welsh food and farming industry MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government encourages food exporters to get ready for animal health regulations MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New report shows further sugar reduction progress by food industry MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Food allergy -jointly organised one day conference MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Primary Authority helps SA Brain & Co with Food Safety MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The National Food Crime Unit visits LGC MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Hospital food review announced by government MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Public to have their say on the food system of the future MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK aid to provide vital food to hundreds of thousands of people living on the edge of famine in South Sudan MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Highways England weighs in with one tonne donation for food banks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK supermarkets sign government pledge to help halve food waste MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Food safety, everyone's business MoD News 0