Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Food, accommodation... general salary info please?

Hello. I am a 24 year old male considering the navy. As far as I am aware a rating gets £18,125 after phase 2 training is completed? (according to website)

I want more specific info so I can determine whether the navy is financially worthwhile and rewarding. Any info given is appreciated. The things that spring to mind are food, accommodation, uniform etc. Basically, any deduction from my salary and how much to be exact.

Thanks

As a rating, I believe you can pretty much expect around £900 to bank each month AFTER all stoppages (food, tax, national insurance, accommodation, etc) for the first six months.

At the six months point, money to bank increases to around £1200 per month after stoppages.

Oh yes.

Free socks.

Only 2 pairs a month though! They're my socks! I paid for them! You don't get em with out a kit record book! Go away, we're closed for stock taking!

In all seriousness though
b05549083328d9496009d08615013226.jpg

Bearing in mind, this is a pay slip from living on land, not a ship (so I'm not getting paid as much as I would on a ship) and I'm a fully trained AB, with some time served its not too bad a wage!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So's this guy, had a load taken off me due to the incompetence of a scribes at Culdrose while serving on RFA's and I can't claim them back as for a time period my track and trace just decided to do neither and they claim they don't know where I was, even though I provided photo evidence, as the ship is now Gillette razor blades [emoji35] [/end rant]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Only 2 pairs a month though! They're my socks! I paid for them! You don't get em with out a kit record book! Go away, we're closed for stock taking!

In all seriousness though

Bearing in mind, this is a pay slip from living on land, not a ship (so I'm not getting paid as much as I would on a ship) and I'm a fully trained AB, with some time served its not too bad a wage!

Is that what skimmers earn? jesus - how do you feed yourselves?

Honestly didnt realise they issued pussers socks after Raleigh - I feel im owed back-socks. Is there a JPA claim form somewhere?

Is that what skimmers earn? jesus - how do you feed yourselves?

Honestly didnt realise they issued pussers socks after Raleigh - I feel im owed back-socks. Is there a JPA claim form somewhere?
There is indeed. Just nip into the UPO and ask for a sock allowance compensation chit. Invariably, the person you speak to initially won't have a clue what you're on about. Just state "Do you know who I am?" followed by "Bring me the CPO Writer this instant" usually speeds things along.

The tip is to call-in when the office is 'closed for training'. ie: Monday mornings, Weds afternoons and Fridays. If no-one is about, a sharp rap on the desk, followed by a "He-llloooo, any bugger actually working here?" Usually helps.

There is indeed. Just nip into the UPO and ask for a sock allowance compensation chit. Invariably, the person you speak to initially won't have a clue what you're on about. Just state "Do you know who I am?" followed by "Bring me the CPO Writer this instant" usually speeds things along.

The tip is to call-in when the office is 'closed for training'. ie: Monday mornings, Weds afternoons and Fridays. If no-one is about, a sharp rap on the desk, followed by a "He-llloooo, any bugger actually working here?" Usually helps.

Alternatively, kick open the doors to slops, stand with hands on hips and legs apart and shout (in a cowboy accent) "Aaahve come for ma socks", spitting on the deck as soon as you say it gets a quick response.

Alternatively, kick open the doors to slops, stand with hands on hips and legs apart and shout (in a cowboy accent) "Aaahve come for ma socks", spitting on the deck as soon as you say it gets a quick response.

Right - thats it. Im in there today. Not the first time these Wtrs have seen me off - they had the nerve to make me go up there to pick up my rate, and demanded I provided my own rank slides (If I could spell epillettes, epillautes?, I would have so shut up). And if I dont get any joy off them I'm going to put in a service complaint. My feet WILL be clothed at pussers expense, and that is a position I frankly will not budge on.

Spun this dit before - went to VL Slops to change my high leg boots, the ex PO Jack Dusty (Woo Hater) took them away and brought me a replacement pair, it was obvious that one was brand new and the other worn. I questioned his logic and he response was "this is loan clothing shippers not cash clothing!!!", my reply was "No probs, any chance of a left and a right pair then?". His face was a picture as he bimbled off and came back with a brand new boxed pair.

Last edited:
Spun this dit before - went to VL Slops to change my high leg boots, the ex PO Jack Dusty (Woo Hater) took them away and brought me a replacement pair, it was obvious that one was brand new and the other worn. I questioned his logic and he response was "this is loan clothing shippers not cash clothing!!!", my replay was "No probs, any chance of a left and a right pair then?". His face was a picture as he bimbled off and came back with a brand new boxed pair.

The slops here is run by an ex SA too, angriest Jock ive ever met BUT, and this important, he detests officers more than ratings. Which is a true sign of character I think.

It has resulted in a very lucrative bribing business, with most of the wardroom paying me off to go and one-for-one their rig.

(*DISCLAIMER - Of course the above isnt true, I would never knowingly defraud the Navy or any other public body. Even for beer / Costa coffee / time off).

Latest Threads