Following orders

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by ma(sm)?, Apr 10, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a quick question would somebody be obliged to follow orders given by a superior officer from another nation (obiously not somewhere like Iran) but like another NATO country. Just curious

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Be more specific (or give a hypothetical situation!) and we might be able to answer the question...

3. You mean as in Eisenhower/Montgomery ?

4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

All depends if their in your chain of command, look at Afgan, Brit general with Brits, Yanks, Aussies, Canadians etc under him, I think the guy that replaced him is a Yank so the Brits are following his orders now.

Blair takes all his commands from Bush, who inturn gets them from God...dont know if God is exclusive to Nato though....

5. The term i believe you are looking for is "chain of command". If they are in your chain of command, they are allowed to give you orders. If they are not in your chain of command, you can ignore them.

6. Bush is not intelligent to ask God; he gets his orders from his advisors.

grrr

Stupid jerks in the WHite House

7. sgtpepperband

JH: Not entirely true - read the Naval Discipline Act and we can discuss how you're gonna plea at your Court Martial! :wink:

8. I'm not bound by the Naval Discipline act - however, the UCMJ DOES apply (or did :S).

9. sgtpepperband

"Presidential Adviser" is a tautological phrase... much like "US Military Intelligence"! :lol:

10. Incorrect sgtpepper - it's Military Intelligence, not just the US. Everyone slips up in this area - i have proof through my mother's cousin who was a Captain in the RN.

11. Now, now Jarhead. God is omnipotent (or should that be impotent?) and can handle anyone... well almost anyone!

What fascinates me is that Bush, Blair, Bin Ladin and Hitler all worshipped the SAME God. Could the Deity be schizophrenic - after all He seems to be very confused about who his followers are, what acts they should perform, whose war in just and a host of other questions, such as whether slavery is or isn't OK (the Bible is very confusing here) or eating prawn cocktail or wearing polycotton shirts is an abonimation.

PS: Please don't wash my mouth out with Teepol! :cry:

12. Thanks jarhead thats what i was looking for. I was just wondering if you had to follow orders given on a base for example by a foreign officer. It was nothing specific really just a general question

13. God maybe sending signals to Bush - but bush is not intelligent enough to interpret them except by asking Chaney.

14. But God doesn't exist.

The proof is explained in The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Quote...

The Babel fish is small, yellow and leech-like, and probably the oddest thing in the Universe. It feeds on brainwave energy recieved not from its own carrier but from those around it, It absorbs all unconscious mental frequencies from this brainwave energy to nourish itself with. the practical upshot of this is that if you stick a Babel fish in your ear you can instantly understand anything said to you in any language.

Now it is such a bizarrely improbable coincidence that anhthing so mind-bogglingly useful could have evolved purely by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see as a final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God. The argument goes like this : "I refuse to prove that I exist", says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But", says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway isn't it? it could not have evolved by chance. it proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't. QED."

15. (getting a bit serious here)

God does exist; explain why else everything fits together. Sure blind chance could have made somethings happen but not fit together so rightly, IMO.

16. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

its called DOG....me dxyslexic mate told me...he cant spell either :lol:

17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Clearly you've never built an Airfix model. No wonder they went bust.

18. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Sorry to be boring, but back to the thread (last time I promise). It depends entirely if your unit is under the foreign officers OPCON (operational control) or OPCOM (Operational Command). There is a clear distinction between the two but for now suffice to say that as an exampple the UK forces under the 4* US General in Afghan are under his OPCON and therefore answer to him.