follow up to parents thread

Chief Chimp

Midshipman
So originally posted this as above, branch hopper kindly replied, son has a start date for DE PTI but not until sept 2020. as he has completed his A levels he has a part time job but obviously as he joining the regulars not much hope of full time employment.
Would a year be enough time ( bearing in mind he only works PT so attendance would not be an issue) to join the RNR or RMR and would the heavier phys load in the RMR be better for him or would the RNR be a better choice as thats what he intends to join.

If he does join the RNR and completes Raleigh would he then have to do the full 10 weeks when he joins the regulars? i suspect he would but not sure

Will contact the AFCO on monday but any advice in the meantime is greatly appreciated.

WreckerL

War Hero
I don't think a year would give him enough time to go down the reservist route, I could be wrong though.

Chief Chimp

Midshipman
Thanks for the reply just curious as middle daughter joined the Pongo TA and completed all her training within 6 months.

Would RNR be more beneficial than RMR?

WreckerL

War Hero
Thanks for the reply just curious as middle daughter joined the Pongo TA and completed all her training within 6 months.

Would RNR be more beneficial than RMR?
RNR probably better, more chance of picking up an injury with RMR and not making it to Raleigh.

pompeyexpat

War Hero
Would a year be enough time ( bearing in mind he only works PT so attendance would not be an issue) to join the RNR or RMR and would the heavier phys load in the RMR be better for him or would the RNR be a better choice as thats what he intends to join.
Can't answer time question, but I don't think he'd miss out on a great deal by joining the RMR instead of the RNR, but then again as a PT I don't think there's much to be gained from taking on the extra phys that would probably come from joining the RMR, and as has been mentioned it would increase his chance of an injury that could delay entry to Raleigh.

If he does join the RNR and completes Raleigh would he then have to do the full 10 weeks when he joins the regulars? i suspect he would but not sure
Probably. As per paragraph 4812 of this - https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/-/media/royal-navy-responsive/documents/reference-library/br-3-vol-1/chapter-48.pdf - a decision on whether those transferring from the Reserves to the Regulars are required to complete the 10 weeks of Phase 1 is made on a case by case basis, but I can't imagine after a year he'd have done enough to be excused Phase 1.

IIRC, from previous posts here, RNR Units were once averse to acting as a waiting room for potential RN entrants.

Is this still the case? Or are they now desperate to add numbers to their unit, albeit only temporarily?

Last edited:

Alfacharlie

War Hero
Just found out AC direct entry as well!? Never thought that would happen as well as the other “failed source branches”.

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
a decision on whether those transferring from the Reserves to the Regulars are required to complete the 10 weeks of Phase 1 is made on a case by case basis, but I can't imagine after a year he'd have done enough to be excused Phase 1.
Quite so.

@Chief Chimp - I'm not clear on what you think will be achieved, or hope to achieve, by his joining the RNR for a max of twelve months. Take out the three leave periods and we are down to ten months, or, at best, forty drill nights. I'm not qualified to advise, but I would suspect that his papers moving from one part of the service to another might well cause a heap of confusion upstream, especially as he has an entry date for the RN.

I am not trying to fend anyone off, really I'm not - give me a steer as to the plan and I'll see what the grey cells produce, if anything.

Chief Chimp

Midshipman
Quite so.

@Chief Chimp - I'm not clear on what you think will be achieved, or hope to achieve, by his joining the RNR for a max of twelve months. Take out the three leave periods and we are down to ten months, or, at best, forty drill nights. I'm not qualified to advise, but I would suspect that his papers moving from one part of the service to another might well cause a heap of confusion upstream, especially as he has an entry date for the RN.

I am not trying to fend anyone off, really I'm not - give me a steer as to the plan and I'll see what the grey cells produce, if anything.
Hi thanks for the reply.
Then plan is/was so he can get some experience of the RN, which would help him in his future career, also it would give him the chance to earn some extra money, he has a part time job and does some volunteering coaching rugby,(but still relies on the bank of mum and dad).

I suppose the crux is earn some money get some experience.

Latest Threads