Flying Pipeline

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by natg, Dec 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

Im just doing some work on Training pipeline for Pilot and was just wondering if someone can shed some light on the Air 424 (Survival Package) which lasts 4 weeks and 4 days.

What is it, where is it, who else does it, why do we do it.

Etc thanks in advance for any help

2. Ok sorry another qustion, in the Advanced FJ training at RAF Valley, what does FJ AFT stand for and FJTW??

Ive tried look but maybe im just being schtoopid!
  3. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Fast Jet Advanced Flying Training - how to fly
    Fast Jet Tactical Weapons - how to fight.

As for the Survival Training - take a wild stab in the dark - its to teach you to survive in the event of banging out somewhere where you don't want to be. As for the contents - think no food, no shelter, being chased by bad men with large dogs, being caught by aforementioned men and dogs (which is where the stab in the dark comes in) and then being asked some easy-to-answer questions over a nice cup of tea and some custard creams.........

If you wish to get the full picture I would highly recommend a book called 'No Escape Zone' by Nick Richardson. Its as good an account of recent naval fixed wing flying as I've seen.

Amazon link
  4. No doubt Ninja will post this sooner or later so but i'l stick it up cause it helped me. Its RAF but shows RN also.

Fast Jet
  5. Think trying to avaid capture. But you will get captured no matter what happens.
  6. Do they RN do their survival exercises e.g. Moortrek with the RAF or do they have their own? Natg's initial post has sparked this question.... I had just assumed that survival training was done as part of the Linton or Shawbury package with the RAF/AAC - is Air 424 a separate package for aircrew?
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Hello Spooked,

Welcome to the site!

Having recently spoken with one of those rarest of commodities, a Royal Marine just about to undergo flying acquaint course, he advises that the RN Air 424 escape & evasion exercise is undertaken in the vicinity of the New Forest. (Even with government cutbacks we lead the way in this area, hence the fact we use a new one and the RAF/AAC have to make do with an old one [​IMG]).

Amongst the delights of the course are such highlights as snaring game, chicken-wrestling/strangling & preparing a covert candle-lit dinner for four in the field, or something like that.

My understanding is even the locals in the area are "hostile" in as much as they get paid a bounty (£50 or thereabouts) if they ring-in with a bone-fide sighting. Not sure whether that is true or just a scare tactic- personally I'd bubble my own Granny for 50 squid.

To be honest, I'd focus on selection at this phase of the process, rather than get too bogged down with specific course content in the latter stages of training.Natg as you have probably noticed is possibly the best to get first hand advice with regard selection as she has just passed FATs & AIB.

The Professional Pilots Rumour Network (PPRuNe) has a military forum which is a rather useful source of further detail in this area.

The very best of luck to you.
  8. Mate,

Air 424 is noddy, dont worry about it!

Its 4 weeks with only one week in the field- the rest of the time is taken up with air med, sea survival, dunker, etc.

The land survival phase is based on peace time and invovles instruction on the principles of survival- not escape and evasion (it is very hands on though, i managed to lose a stone in one week). The real fun comes later on in flying training when you will be sent off to do SERE level C, which involves E & E (with bootnecks as hunter force), recovery tactics, ressitance to interogation, enemy weapon famils, etc, etc. Quite a lot involved in that one :rambo: But all very much within the abilities of the average person, you dont have to be superman.

All of these courses are now joint service and are aimed at the lowest common denominator- the crabs!

If your a Matelot, and resonably fit, you will be fine! :thumright:
  9. Cheers - I have PM'd NatG for some hints :)