Flying Grading BRNC

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by scimitar123, Jul 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone tell me what the flying grading in the IST phase actually involved? Is it like ground school? What happens if you fail etc?

2. you might have to eject :thumright:
  3. Not being a WAFU, but it is a ground based course, done at different locations depending on whether you are ATC, Pilot or Observer. It is currently, i.e. looks likely to change, done after Phase 1, but before Pre-IST Phase (non-Aircrew Phase 2), so you leave your original division and join the division that joined the entry after yours. Which is far from ideal, and why there is talk of change.
  4. Stand fast the duty watch
  5. I'm sorry, I've totally lost you!
  6. its an officer thing??!! :thumright: Welcome back Snotty :salut: they have difficulties explaining things to mere mortals
  7. Flying Grading for pilots is a 3 week course based at RNAS Yeovilton flying the Grob G115E. Each person gets 12 hours of flying time (No ground school at this point) and at the end is assessed as to whether they are suitable to start flying training or not. If you're not suitable then you either look fro a new job or become a fishead. Observers do 3 weeks at Culdrose doing their observer stuff on Jetstream T2's, with a similar result depending on their final check. I don't know about ATC.
  8. In the good old days, all you had to do was sit on a spinning piano stool while patting the top of your head with one hand and rubbing your tummy in a circle with the other. If you could maintain this for ten minutes, you were in.
  9. Pilots do 13 hours flying at Yeoves, including a 1 hour (ish) final handling test. It does include a tech quiz. At the end of the course, you are given a score for flying (%), which is then averaged with your tech quiz. You need about 55% to continue through to EFT. Basically, do as well as possible on the tech quiz.

ATC do the 3 weeks at Yeovilton, which basically involves loafing, as their actual grading lasts for about 40 mins.
  10. How does the Royal Navy's Flying Grading compare to that used by the Army?
    To put my question in context, I've passed Army Flying Grading for the AAC, but not started any pilot's course yet. I'm currently looking at the Fleet Air Arm, and trying to understand the options open to me. Thanks in advance of any replies.
  11. Do you mean Flying Grading or Flying Aptitude?? You only get to do Flying Grading in the RN after you have joined up.
  12. I mean Flying Grading, which, for the Army, you can do before joining,but only after passing the OASC phase.
  13. OMG, cobwebs and bollard time.

BRNC 1963, we did 12 hours on Tiger Moth. I had a PPL already, but with a nose-wheel aircraft. Could I land the bu66er? NO.

Failed Flying Grading, offered ship-driving for a living.

= full career in RAF in ground role. =(
  14. Flying grading takes place in the second half of the third term at BRNC. it's pass/fail, and if you fail you could get offered O, if your FATs pass was high enough, or fishead. You can withdraw from training if you wish, but not heard of any doing so.

The flying is basically to first solo standard, but without the solo any more. In the good old days at Roborough and Chipmunks you often got a solo before the final handling test if your instructor thought you were up to it, and the weather allowed. And a great ten minutes it was too.

There was talk of doing grading before entry to BRNC, but it's not been done.
  15. Dear Mutt,
    I would be surprised and interested to hear of anyone who has done bith gradings! Grading is a way that the FAA assesses whether you are good enough to complete the next stage of training. Every stage of flying training is similar, and if there is a percieved risk that you won't pass the NEXT course, you won't start it. Don't get hung up on the possibility of getting chopped tho, it is fairly rare.
    Essentially if you can get in as a pilot they think you can pass grading and so on. Realistically, having passed the Army grading, you shouldn't have any problems at 727 (grading squadron) unless the army have really low standards.
    What you need to decide is what you want and can offer regarding each service. As I'm sure you know there are big differences between the role, home location, career options, ethos etc between the AAC and FAA.
    What stage of your applications are you at?