Flying aptitude test in 2 weeks!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Harrier111, Aug 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. FAT in two weeks - anyone else going then?

2. im not, ive done mine, but word of advise - work on your mental maths alot. practice doing things under pressure and short time limits (ie. 1min 30 secs). and speed-time-distance calculations, then using that info, convert it into fuel used, or fuel left.. if you get what i mean.

Best of luck to you tho!

:D

3. Yeah, i think i get what you mean....so how long do you have per question for the S/D/T questions, in particular, the hard one with the fuel consumption etc?

Thanks, i will need all the luck i can get!!

4. about 1 min 30, but i did them a year ago now.. so it may have changed..

and in that section, you'l find that they are all s/d/t followed by another calculation (all in the same time period), so youl work out the speed taken, then corelate that to a grid showing the mpg, then you work out how many gallons of fuel you have used, will use or will have left after a run of X mins at that speed. and to really complicate matters, they will some times have a wind sheer effect ie - speeding u up, or slowing u down.. but that will be shown on the initial s/d/t calculation, and will remain a constant for that particular calculation.

you also have a hand-eye co-ordination, and hand-foot and hand-eye-foot co-ordination.

and the CLAN test - thats hard

and english comprihension and maths comprihension

all fun and games XD

5. and english comprihension

Nice one. :w00t:

6. Yeah, you can guess what I failed on ><

I'm pretty useless at my spelling

7. I take it they don't give you a calculator in the distance x time questions?

8. Nope - all you get is a bit of paper and a pencil.

And that's only on some of the questions. lol

Its not that bad - just cram as much mental sdt as you can - you drive? If so, work out how long it will take you to go X miles using just the speed and the time. Then work out how much fuel your using (if you know what your car runs at in terms of mpg).

It all helps.

9. "and in that section, you'l find that they are all s/d/t followed by another calculation (all in the same time period), so youl work out the speed taken, then corelate that to a grid showing the mpg, then you work out how many gallons of fuel you have used, will use or will have left after a run of X mins at that speed."

Is this a good example of the question you describe?:

You travel 330 miles. How much have you used if you burn 160kgs an hour, if you are travelling at 220mph?

10. bang on. now see if you can do that in less than 60 secs (60 secs to do the calc, 30 secs to check it)

and dont quote me on the times at FATs - i cant remember if its 1,5 mins or 1 min

11. Well i will just try and do it in a minute then!! What over maths is involved in the FAT or is just S/D/T and some mental arith?

12. urm, you have to be able to work out the next number in a sequence, or count how many of a certain number there is in a 5 second display.. for example, youl be asked to count how many 2s there are in the following:

and youl have 5 seconds to count, then a 15 second wait, whilst you are answeing a random question (not maths related) then you will have to give the answer..

and the CLAN test - thats a bitch.. 3 things at once..

ask some one else to explain.. i cba to atm, TIRED (working nights)

13. LOL that's no problem; thankyou for your help anyway!

So having done the FAT, i take it you're going aircrew or ATC?

14. fraid not.. although i passed my FATs, the scores werent anything to write home about (apparently - you never get told your scores, but i did find out that mine were "just passes", in all 3 areas) and it turns out there are too many ppl with better passes than me, so they offered me the choice: wait untill i get picked (in reality never), apply to resit them after 12 months has elapsed (means i would have to resit AIB too, with no garuntee of passing either) or go for Submarine Warfare Officer (X(SM)).. with the possibility of starting in june..

i went for the latter - in sooner, better pay and a good job at the same time (ive always liked subs anyway)

sprained my ankle in june, weeks before entry, and asked for a place in sept.. got it, and just waiting for my medical clearance to come through (i was a fat fcuker.. so had to loose weight)

15. GP, what's the pass rate for actually being a Pilot? Like one in five get in or whatever.

16. Well that's a shame, but like you said, the money and life are still good so why not go for it! I wish you all the best with that.
    I just hope i can get a good pass in my FAT because i don't fancy waiting another year to re-apply.

17. urm, when i went, i think about 5 outta 12 passed on atleast one of the 3 skills - your scores get compiled into marks, and you get pilot (about 110), then ATC (120) then Observer (125) or there abouts.. those are exact levels, but a "guide". the rest failed. its a very hard thing - either you have the skills, or you dont, they cant really be improved upon.. its an instinct of sorts that they test.

dont get disheartened, just do your best, and dont complain at the out-come.

you can always apply to go back in a year's time and try it again. but you only get 2 attempts in your life, and the most current one counts for your score - so if u pass the first, but only just (like me) and you fail the 2nd time, then its the fail that counts rather than the previous pass.

18. Yeah, it does sound like it will be tough, but if i fail i will be gutted, to say the least!!!
    What did you find the hardest in the FAT?

19. Please tell me that this is a wind up. You lot are not really potential officers are you?

20. Yes. Is there a problem with that?