FLY NAVY 100

scouse said:
<snip> :w00t: Didnt stop FL/T Pollock .Flying his single engine. Hawker Hunter under the top span of London bridge :salut: :thumright:

Wow! That is impressive. Was that the old London Bridge now at Lake Havasu in the States or the new London Bridge currently spanning the Thames?

(Pssst! Wanna buy a nice castle just west of London? :money: )

scouse

War Hero
Naval_Gazer said:
scouse said:
<snip> :w00t: Didnt stop FL/T Pollock .Flying his single engine. Hawker Hunter under the top span of London bridge :salut: :thumright:

Wow! That is impressive. Was that the old London Bridge now at Lake Havasu in the States or the new London Bridge currently spanning the Thames? :w00t: 68 also beat up a few airfields at 200 ft in inverted flight on the way home.

scouse said:
Naval_Gazer said:
scouse said:

Wow! That is impressive. Was that the old London Bridge now at Lake Havasu in the States or the new London Bridge currently spanning the Thames?
scouse said:
:w00t: 68 also beat up a few airfields at 200 ft in inverted flight on the way home.

Er, spot the difference:

londonbridge.jpg

London Bridge

Tower_bridge.jpg

Tower Bridge (including top span)

It's no good, I can't go on. :banghead: Would someone pass me the mess revolver please?

scouse

War Hero
Only a Bucanneer could go that low :thumright: 50ft on its own shockwave. He wouldnt be intrested in LONDON TOWER BRIDGE :rambo: :pukel: :w00t: :thumright:

scouse

War Hero
Trying to think what the Flypast we did from Yoevilton 64/65 ? was for nearly every FAA Squadron took part . We took 809 Sqdn and ground crew to VL for the week. Over to you :thumright:

fido

MIA
Naval_Gazer said:
scouse said:
Naval_Gazer said:
scouse said:

scouse said:
:w00t: 68 also beat up a few airfields at 200 ft in inverted flight on the way home.

Er, spot the difference:

londonbridge.jpg

London Bridge

Tower_bridge.jpg

Tower Bridge (including top span)

It's no good, I can't go on. :banghead: Would someone pass me the mess revolver please?

Sorry, the mess revolver has been borrowed by the Chief of the Air Staff following the very recent Hawk prang into the ATC car park at RAFC Cranwell (otherwise known as Sleaford Tech)

fido

MIA
scouse said:
Trying to think what the Flypast we did from Yoevilton 64/65 ? was for nearly every FAA Squadron took part . We took 809 Sqdn and ground crew to VL for the week. Over to you :thumright:

I was in 766 Sqdn then but can't remember it - bloody 'ell, it was only 44 years ago! :cry:

fido

MIA
Greenie said:
fido said:
On 7 May 2009, the Fleet Air Arm begins celebrations to mark 100 years of Naval aviation (eat your heart out Crabs - you've only got 90 years in!) The question is, what is the relevance of such an anniversary observing that, from my perspective, the ethos of service, duty and loyalty to Crown and Country appears to have been seriously undermined in recent years. Are the achievements of our predecessors in both world wars (too many to list but think East Africa, Belgium and France during WW1. The Battle of Britain (many FAA pilots), Taranto, Atlantic Convoys, 'Bismark' and not forgetting the Far East fleet and, more recently, Malaya, Borneo, Aden, Balkans, and the Middle East) remembered by those currently serving and not just those of us 'oldies'? There is one school of thought that has a sneaking suspicion that this is just another PR stunt designed to put one over on the RAF (and why not?) but, and this is the point - is it relevant? Will it be supported wholeheartedly by serving people? and, most importantly, will it have any impact on the civilian population who apparently are apathetic (at best) to the efforts of the military who preserve their freedom.

Hope the celebrations get underway -- our Submariners 100 went quite well in 2001

However -------looking at the history of Military aviation in the very early days are we not jumping the gun -ish????
The May 1909 date was the setting up of an Admiralty post for overseeing the proposed build of the ill fated Naval Airship ''Mayfly''[appropriate name built by Vickers ] which crashed on its maiden flight September 29th 1911.
The Admiralty then basically washed their hands regarding flying although in 1911[March 1st] prior to the ''Mayfly'' disaster they did send four officers for pilot training on fixed wing aircraft at Eastchurch .The instruction was given freely no cost by a keen civilian aviator.

Meanwhile the Army formed a regiment 28th February 1911 with two ''wings '' one for Balloons and the other for fixed wing aircraft .This in turn became the
Royal Flying Corps [13 April 1912 ]with its Military and Naval ''wings''.

The true date for the formation of the RNAS was 1st July 1914.

I suppose it is a Royal Navy anniversary of sorts but the early days of heavier than air flying and military application is possibly a debatable subject regarding dates [the army had been flying balloons since the 1880's]

:nemo: :nemo:

Here's the direct quote regarding the anniversary:

"On 7 May 2009, the Royal Navy will be celebrating 100 years of Naval Aviation, on the anniversary of the date in 1909 when the Admiralty placed its first order for a Naval Airship. It was a radical shift in military thinking that was to lead to the formation of the Royal Naval Air Service, later renamed the Fleet Air Arm, and which marked the beginnings of the formidable versatility and capability of Naval Air Power."

farenheit

Badgeman
fido said:
On 7 May 2009, the Fleet Air Arm begins celebrations to mark 100 years of Naval aviation (eat your heart out Crabs - you've only got 90 years in!) The question is, what is the relevance of such an anniversary observing that, from my perspective, the ethos of service, duty and loyalty to Crown and Country appears to have been seriously undermined in recent years. Blah Blah Blah.

From your perspective, or rather office window you can only view the Historic Flight!!
Read into that what you will

fido

MIA
farenheit said:
fido said:
On 7 May 2009, the Fleet Air Arm begins celebrations to mark 100 years of Naval aviation (eat your heart out Crabs - you've only got 90 years in!) The question is, what is the relevance of such an anniversary observing that, from my perspective, the ethos of service, duty and loyalty to Crown and Country appears to have been seriously undermined in recent years. Blah Blah Blah.

From your perspective, or rather office window you can only view the Historic Flight!!

You clearly know very little - I can see 09 and 04! And I think that you mean 'prospect' rather than 'perspective'

farenheit

Badgeman
fido said:
farenheit said:
fido said:

You clearly know very little - I can see 09 and 04! And I think that you mean 'prospect' rather than 'perspective'
You are correct I do know very little...but I do mean perspective.