FLY NAVY 100

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by fido, Sep 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On 7 May 2009, the Fleet Air Arm begins celebrations to mark 100 years of Naval aviation (eat your heart out Crabs - you've only got 90 years in!) The question is, what is the relevance of such an anniversary observing that, from my perspective, the ethos of service, duty and loyalty to Crown and Country appears to have been seriously undermined in recent years. Are the achievements of our predecessors in both world wars (too many to list but think East Africa, Belgium and France during WW1. The Battle of Britain (many FAA pilots), Taranto, Atlantic Convoys, 'Bismark' and not forgetting the Far East fleet and, more recently, Malaya, Borneo, Aden, Balkans, and the Middle East) remembered by those currently serving and not just those of us 'oldies'? There is one school of thought that has a sneaking suspicion that this is just another PR stunt designed to put one over on the RAF (and why not?) but, and this is the point - is it relevant? Will it be supported wholeheartedly by serving people? and, most importantly, will it have any impact on the civilian population who apparently are apathetic (at best) to the efforts of the military who preserve their freedom.

2. It might at least convince the press that not all military aircraft are flown by the RAF. However, without a flypast over london (apparently harriers aren't allowed over the capital as they only have one engine) it may be just a damp squib. Also with most aircraft broken or deployed who, of the fleet air arm, will be around to celebrate and remember? I certainly won't be as I shall be visiting other countries where we seem to be storing our aircraft at the moment.

3. It had better be- there are lot of us (current and ex WAFU's) who have access to a wide variety of communication devices and they will be tormenting "cyber space" etc. not to mention our "representatives" in that so called "hallowed chamber"for a fitting and proper rememberance

4. You're right Richie - but how do we convince those youngsters who are currenttly serving? - too many of them think that we are old men living off our old memories - they don't have our sense of 'service' - for them it's just aonther job and, it seems to me, that with a generation of officers and senior ratings who subscribe to the same belief, the FAA ethos (undermined by JHC and JFH) has been destroyed.

5. If it counts, I have a great respect for the ex wafus. I know of one chap who flew swordfish during WWII and some of his dits were truly amazing. I would like there to be at least some form of memorial towards the wafu's either a dedicated service or fly past where people actually stop and take notice of the work we currently do and have achieved in the past.

6. I understand your sentiment however I strongly disagree with your statement above. As a serving member of the Fleet Air Arm I am immensly proud of the achievements and sacrifices made by of all of those, past and present who have served or who are serving Naval Aviation - and I can safely say that a lot of my FAA colleagues, both near and far, commissioned or not, feel exactly the same.

Fly Navy 100 will be supported by the present FAA as much as is possible, given tasking current constraints.

BW

7. I have it from the horse's mouth (no names) that the main reason for Fly Navy 100 is to put one over on the RAF.

8. Hope the celebrations get underway -- our Submariners 100 went quite well in 2001

However -------looking at the history of Military aviation in the very early days are we not jumping the gun -ish????
    The May 1909 date was the setting up of an Admiralty post for overseeing the proposed build of the ill fated Naval Airship ''Mayfly''[appropriate name built by Vickers ] which crashed on its maiden flight September 29th 1911.
    The Admiralty then basically washed their hands regarding flying although in 1911[March 1st] prior to the ''Mayfly'' disaster they did send four officers for pilot training on fixed wing aircraft at Eastchurch .The instruction was given freely no cost by a keen civilian aviator.

Meanwhile the Army formed a regiment 28th February 1911 with two ''wings '' one for Balloons and the other for fixed wing aircraft .This in turn became the
    Royal Flying Corps [13 April 1912 ]with its Military and Naval ''wings''.

The true date for the formation of the RNAS was 1st July 1914.

I suppose it is a Royal Navy anniversary of sorts but the early days of heavier than air flying and military application is possibly a debatable subject regarding dates [the army had been flying balloons since the 1880's]

:nemo: :nemo:

9. I would like to mention the only 4 Victoria Crosses awarded to the FAA

Vice Admiral Richard Bell Davies VC
    L/T Robert Gray VC
    F/SL/T Rex Warneford VC
    LT/CDR Euguene Esmonde VC
    Ps The book by Richard Bell Davies " Sailor in the Air " is an excellent read and his Medals are in the FAA meseum Yoevilton :salut:

10. How about a few stories from those early days Fido :w00t:

11. Thanks Slim - you'll get yours!

12. :w00t: Didnt stop FL/T Pollock .Flying his single engine. Hawker Hunter under the top span of London bridge :salut: :thumright:

13. Wow! That is impressive. Was that the old London Bridge now at Lake Havasu in the States or the new London Bridge currently spanning the Thames?

(Pssst! Wanna buy a nice castle just west of London? :money: )

15. Er, spot the difference:

[​IMG]
    London Bridge

[​IMG]
    Tower Bridge (including top span)

It's no good, I can't go on. :banghead: Would someone pass me the mess revolver please?

16. Only a Bucanneer could go that low :thumright: 50ft on its own shockwave. He wouldnt be intrested in LONDON TOWER BRIDGE :rambo: :pukel: :w00t: :thumright:

17. how will the FAA celebrate, a fly by with a coupla Lynx and merlin or two?

18. Trying to think what the Flypast we did from Yoevilton 64/65 ? was for nearly every FAA Squadron took part . We took 809 Sqdn and ground crew to VL for the week. Over to you :thumright:

19. Sorry, the mess revolver has been borrowed by the Chief of the Air Staff following the very recent Hawk prang into the ATC car park at RAFC Cranwell (otherwise known as Sleaford Tech)

20. I was in 766 Sqdn then but can't remember it - bloody 'ell, it was only 44 years ago! :cry: