Fluoride warning ?

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by hobbit, Jun 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As a long time opponent of Fluoride I pass this on for members info in particular for any prospective parents or even for adults . This use of industrial waste is disgraceful but another example of big business contempt for public welfare and safety . Worth following up with further enquiries by those interested or involved . This is not for any commercial purposes btw so I hope it's not misunderstood .

Dental Association Agrees Fluoride is Bad
    POSTED BY
    Dr. Mercola View Dr. Mercola's Profile

June 11, 2007

The American Dental Association, which has for many years been one of fluoride's biggest advocates, alerted its members late last year that parents of infants younger than a year old "should consider using water that has no or low levels of fluoride" when mixing baby formula.

However, while public health agencies in some states, such as Vermont and New Hampshire, immediately issued warnings in the media based on the ADA alert, other states took months to relay the message.

Florida's Department of Health put the message on its website four months after it was issued along with a note that read: "Mixing formula with fluoridated water poses no known health risks."

The ADA was concerned about fluorosis, a condition caused by too much fluoride that damages the enamel of teeth. Some scientists believe that even mild to moderate cases of fluorosis can lead to more significant problems. Studies have associated fluorosis with lower IQ, endocrine system problems, and skeletal damage.

St. Petersburg Times June 4, 2007

Dr. Mercola's Comment:

After more than half a century of denial, the American Dental Association has finally capitulated to the facts and issued warnings on the dangers of fluoride.
    Adding fluoride to drinking water (to prevent tooth decay) has been standard practice in many countries for 60 years. But the practice has come under scrutiny, as fluoride has been banned by more and more European countries.
    Unfortunately, too much fluoride can lead to fluorosis, a discoloring of the teeth and breakdown of enamel -- itself a result diametrically opposed to the dental health it supposedly is meant to prevent -- and more serious developmental problems such as lower IQ. Excessive use of fluoride also increases the risk of osteoporosis and can damage the nervous system.

Children enrolled in the Women, Infant and Children's Nutrition program (WIC) are particularly at risk, since the WIC program only subsidizes powdered and condensed baby formulas that have to be mixed with water.

If you are unable to breastfeed, please educate yourself on the dangers of fluoride (an industrial waste product from the phosphate fertilizer industry) as well as the health risks of using infant formulas. Instead of mixing already unhealthy formulas with fluoridated water, take the advice from my series, Healthy Alternative to Conventional Infant Formula, which includes recipes for healthy homemade baby formulas.

2. Ah yes the old attack on fluoride again!!! Seems to come up every few years. I can tell you as someone who has worked in the field of dentistry for 20+ years the rate of decay that exists in children nowdays you can't imagine what it would be without fluoride.As a dental professional we still believe in the benefits of fluoride treatments.Perhaps you've never seen a 4 year old with nursing bottle decay and completely destroyed primary molars who has to be put under general to have their treatment. I also know that nowdays children do not have proper nutriton etc. and free access to all kinds of refined sugar etc. As I live across the pond I can tell you some of our indigenous population who live in northern communities where a 2litre of Pepsi is way cheaper than a litre of milk and will use this in baby bottles. So in my opinion a little fluoride goes a long way in prevention especially in preventing premature primary tooth loss!

3. I would suggest you read the Canadian Dental Associations views on this particular topic @ www.cda-adc.ca/ especially the fluoride FAQ.

4. This 'attack' is from the American Dental Association with added comments by a doctor . For the ADA to make such statements I suggest the dangers may be significant . I have avoided Fluoride personally but did not attack or comment on my views . The main reason for this thread was / is in relation to the young . At least people can decide for themselves when aware of the various opinions .

5. I stand by the recommendations of the Canadian Dental Association. Nothing besides fluoride has been proven to prevent tooth decay. As you will see by reading the website fluoride is a naturally occurring element.I guess anything can be found toxic if taken in high doses.

6. How about teaching children to brush their teeth correctly and train the little dears not to expect sweets and other sugar rich goodies every time they go into 'I want I want I want' mode! :thumright:

7. Oh yes , sugar causes so many problems , in adults as well as the young 'uns . So much of what we eat contains sugar and it ain't good . Worth a bit of research.Although some control over sugar content would help it is probably impossible to enforce.