Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by Deckhead_Inspector, Jun 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Well here I am sat at home on my days off from my day job and half of the country would seem to be underwater. Am I the only one RAGING that the RNR is not being used to help. Surely there are more people like me who could answer an immediate call to get some boats out?
  2. Your missing 1 big point though, we dont have any boats - they all been sold or waiting to be sold
  3. The RN does and I and several of my coleagues have the tickets to drive them. It should not be beyond the wit of man to leave a few geminis at suitable depots around the country. Or even take a pussers cheque into the local chandlers. I think we could do better than plods and pongoes. Let them get on with the more mundane things.
  4. My understanding was the RN and RNR have no budget for civic emergencies at home and so would not get used for such. The Army by contrast do and so are more forthcoming in getting on the streets in order that that don't lose that budget.
  5. RN have been involved in the form of SAR flights etc. The RN/RNR cant do anything until help is requested from the civil authorities, it’s in their hands. There are substantial documents military aid to local authorities etc, covering all aspects of help available and there is money to cover it, if needed.
    I must respect your enthusiasm Deckhead_Inspector, the world could do with a few more like you.
  6. Our esteemed leader Mr Blair in his last PMs questions effectively stated that whilst Millitary Aid to Civil Power was on offer it was not needed but the situation was under constant consideration. AS ever they will wait till it is too late then blaim the military for failing.
  7. you right there Maxi, its always someone elses fault. No ones going to stick up for the Armed Forces, so lets blame them. What are they going to do strike, take someone to court...nope, not a bloody thing.
  8. In the same session both Camron and the departing Mr Blair were very complimentary about the forces. Mind you it still doesn't change the fact that if they had asked for some help yesterday they would be further on today.

Edited to add, spoke to soone this from the Beeb

The Army is moving in with trucks and boats to help shore up a river in flood-hit South Yorkshire.

9. "Hello, Naval Flood line, duty Chief speaking"...

"You say your pub cellar has been flooded, and you need assistance emptying it out".......

"Certainly sir, we have a team on stand-by with a vast amount of experience of emptying pub cellars"..........

"Yes sir, the team is being despatched as we speak"........

"They just need a couple of details"......."are the crisps still dry, and do you have any daughters?" :biggrin:
  10. Isn't there supposed to be a CCRF to assist in civil emergencies? I forget what the acronym stands for, but I believe its Combined Civil Reactionary Force, supposedly a joint tri-service reserve thing so that the military can render assistance in times of floods, fire and etc. Aren't these chaps out there in fold?
  11. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

The forces get called out all the time, It probably boils down to who's local, who's available and what they got.

I've been called out for clearing trees in the aftermath of the hurricane that Michael Fish? said would'nt happen and also Lockerbie...(luckily the rest of my Coy was more drunk than me so they sent another Coy instead).
  12. I checked this the other day, in naivety, and was chuckled at in a grandfatherly way by a Colonel. Apparently emergency services are meant to have contingency plans and resources so they are very reluctant to ask for the help of reserve forces (CCRF) in fear of losing face.

This is a somewhat rediculous situation. If you take Hull for instance then you have an RLC TA regiment HQ and all the vehicles, equipment and support staff included, RAMC (medical) unit, Amphibious Engineers, Signals and Infantry. All of these units have equipment and training that could help with the fact that a large proportion of Hull is underwater right now with a State of Emergency declared.

Shame on those who haven't asked for the help.
  13. It does seem remarkable that politicians re-act so quickly with over-seas emergencies and yet in their own country sometimes are less quick off the mark . The troops naturally want to help their own people so would not complain so it's the pollies it seems that are not too keen on the home front , I wonder why . Best o' British with the floods in the Old Country btw and may it ease for you soon .

14. HQ Land has responsibility for MACA, mainly because the Army has a reasonably homogenous presence in the UK whereas the RN and RAF are more localised. Hence the majority of the dedicated MACA budget goes that direction.

National governance of the system sits in the Civil Contingencies Secreteriat in Cabinet Office, who have a C2 facility a few hundred yards from No10.

CCS maintain the link with Land as well as Civil Contingency staffs in Local Authorities, who then maintain relationships with their local emergency services.

LAs are supposed to budget for CC, but in practice it goes the way of most insurance. CCS would have a framework agreement with Land, which LAs can call on as required.

As Blood points out there is a call on SAR facilities, but not much otherwise.
  15. Which tends to work out as too little too late most of the time, getting military resources involved earlier could very often at least make the event less traumatic for the civilians, I am sure that in many of these case the application of a 100 or so men/women early could make a big difference, but as ever because it may come out of some ones budget, or some one will lose face we wait until the opportunity for succesful intervention to pass before panicing
  16. SAR, not for much longer, as it is being privatised.
  17. My experience in this area is mainly national, rather than local, so I can't speak to it directly. However, both national and local levels tend to be staffed by steady eddy, salt of the earth, mr fixits who get very involved in the activities, rather than managing the activities.

They're classically the nightmare SD(E) who refuses to let go of the toolbox and let his Chiefs and POs get on with the job.

As a result they're not standing back far enough to make the decision to call in external support at the right time.

I do have experience with Local Government in other areas and whilst there are a few good people, the rest do tend to be quite mediocre.
  18. The Welsh Assembly Website ( http://new.wales.gov.uk/resilience/other-responders1/military/?lang=en ) sums up the available military aid quite well:
    That last point about Central Government is the salient one as Regional or Local Authorities are always reluctant to involve the Centre and admit they can't cope. As many of you have put it; face saving.
  19. Having been involved in a flood a few years back, nothing on the scale we are seeing at the moment but quite traumatic for us, the support from the council was excellent, very reasuring after spending some time waist deep rescuing horses. I am sure however if things had got worse down river and they had to deal with whole neigbhorhoods not just one house they would have been completely overwhelmed. When that river has flooded in the past they have never asked for help despite there usually being 2 army battalions stationed here
  20. Well i've been doing my bit in Sheffield this week.

I've had my trainers in my hand, trousers rolled up passed the knees while feeling around with my toes for the plug.

No luck yet but i'll keep you informed. :thumright: