Flood Tasking - Who's been sent?

Discussion in 'MoD News' started by Branch-Hopper, Feb 9, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have seen the following on various Media Feeds:

HMS Sultan - Datchet (showing as I type on BBC News Channel)
    7 Rifles (Reading TA/AR) - Reading
    42 Commando - Somerset

What other units might we know about?

2. Yeovilton and Culdrose. On one hours standby but not yet deployed.
  3. That's interesting - just as manpower (sorry, person-power), or as an air asset?

4. Manpower only. Although Culdrose always has the 24hr SAR.
  5. AAF

AAF Badgeman

6. Maybe the RAF will contribute now the weekends over ;0)

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
    • Like Like x 1
  7. 40 Commando based in Taunton are on the Somerset Levels
  8. The RAF Regiment are on the Thames, they're good at manning barriers ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

DC says he's sending soldiers and who do I see on the telly? a Lt Cdr.
  10. 42 Cdo at 2 hours notice to move and to be on task at 6 hours after notice.
  11. Heard some Sarf Lundun type on the radio this morning demanding the Army be sent to Surrey "'cos we could end up wiv water coming in our houses and we needs der Army to 'elp". I'm sure the people of Somerset would agree those on the banks of the Thames are high priority!!
  12. It will be interesting to see what happens with the Thames flooding near London. I bet they react a lot quicker than they did for the poor fckrs in Somerset. Imagine the insurance claims from all those multy million quid houses on the banks of the river.
  13. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 3
  14. How much disaster relief money has come in from these countries, India, Pakistan, Nigeria, and Ethiopia? It's a rhetorical question as the answer is SFA. All foreign aid should cease immediately and the money be given to our flood devastated areas.

MLP, it’s good to see the compassionate side of your character shining through.
  15. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

While it's all very sad for those wading to work, I do wonder at some of those bleating about the lack of help or how slow help has been coming. There are only so many service persons, firefighters, BFO pumps, suction pipes, places to pump water to, Environment Agency bods, ideas, wagons that can move around in floods, earth moving equipment, boats, helicopters, sand bags, sand, council workmen and they can't be everywhere at once.

Looks as if there have been some major policy failures if reports are correct; wildlife all the way down the food chain to mice and beatles 'preventing' the necessary digging, chopping and building that may have prevented what we see now.

Environmentalists (as opposed to environmental scientists / engineers ) coming out of their basements thinking that they know their subjects but managing to tie themselves up in knots. Just FO and let the (Dutch) civil engineers tell us what we need to do. Even if it means turning a mouse or two into refugees.

And what does 'Lord' Chris Smith bring to the party? Qualified to lead the Environment Agency how exactly? No technical, managment or leadership talent coming through.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. 200 lads on stand by at drake for flood alert crisis, still on stand by humm how much water do you need before it a crisis
  17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Approximately 8,000 nautical miles worth, in the case of the Falklands crisis.
    • Like Like x 1