Flight Experince needed for pilot?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Centrebac15, Oct 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi,
    Ive Recently got my AIB date, so ive been looking through the questions i have to fill out, there is a section for flight experience, as i have none will this cause a major issue in my AIB?? im expecting to be grilled about how i have not got any, but will this have a major effect on my chances??

Also i started my application wanting to join as a pilot, however now i think id prefer to join as an observer! will they question me on both in the AIB?? or do i need to contact my AFCo to get him to change it??

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Traditionally the RN would only accept students who held a private pilot's licence prior to starting at BRNC. However, in these times of austerity, they have relaxed that proviso and will now allow students who demonstrate high levels of competency in "Ace Combat: Assault Horizon" or "Apache: Air Assault". XBox 360 console and controls will be supplied by AIB on arrival.

In other news, NASA will only employ personnel who have experience of life on a Death Star or have recorded at least 400 hours in a X-Wing Fighter.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Fortunately, "no previous experience necessary" applies to all jobs in the Naval Service & the lack of it will not adversely affect selection.

Just as well really. We've finally 'cottoned-on' to the fact non-vocational degrees are a waste of space & from April 2013 will pay graduate & non-graduate Officers exactly the same rate of starting pay & award the same promotion prospects.
  5. So me sitting at the bottom of the swimming pool with a bucket over my head didn't help when I went submariner then?
  6. Ninja_Stoker

It helped me.

Get back down there, Wrecks.
  7. sgtpepperband

No. But it saved a few women dying of shock from seeing your grid.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I can feel the love oozing from the screen as I read, thank **** Rummers ain't here!
  9. sgtpepperband

"Dying of shock" is a Police euphemism for falling in love and dropping their knickers... :wink:
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Thinking about it...Standfast qualified Doctors, Nurses, Radiographers, Chaplains & Environmental Health bods. We prefer it if you've already got the gist of the job.
  11. For any budding pilots a little advice.
    It helps if your name is one of the following Charles, Andrew, William or Harry.

Of course if you happen to be a close relative of the boss your chances are even more enhanced
    • Like Like x 1
  12. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Lets just see how this experiment affects intakes. My 2 tins think it will kill recruitment based on perception alone.
  13. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, agree it's a potentially contentious one, but only the RN/RM has ever offered graduates £29K starting pay for those with non-vocational degrees & afforded up to three years accelerated promotion over non-grads who started on around £15K and took 5 years to reach Lieutenant/RM Captain. The AFPRB got all hot and bothered because the RAF & Army don't discriminate & whilst the RN waffled on about it, they were forced to bow under pressure from the AFPRB as they could not offer supporting evidence to justify the single-service stance. Grads & non grads will start on £24,615 from next April.

It affects Warfare, Logs & RM Officers but traditionally the shortage recruiting category has always been Warfare Officers. Strange when you consider, from a civilian perspective, the only way to captain a war canoe is by joining as a Warfare Officer.

When we switched to pay on entry based on academic attainment rather than solely age, the Army & RAF never discriminated on qualifications alone. Obviously Doc/Dentist/Bish gets paid a different rate, but besides the £12K golden hello engineers, who do need a vocational degree get paid the same as Logs & Warfare - doubtless another bone of contention.

Personally I'd just suggest AFPRB pay officers a higher or lower pay-band based on their seagoing job - What could possibly go wrong? :pirate:
  14. I think you'll find that PTIs need previous experience in clip-board handling, though I appreciate that they are not direct entry requirements.
  15. How do you know you want to fly if you've never experienced it? Since deciding you wanted to fly in the RN what have you actually done about it? Why did you decide to not to gain any flight experience, after all gliding is relatively cheap?

You need to think along those sort of lines when you're considering what you may get asked at the AIB. It is true that no previous experience is required and, in fact, too much can be a bad thing (bad habits that have to be un-trained etc) but most aviation applicants will have at least had a trial lesson or somesuch. Nobody is expecting you to pitch up with a logbook full of hours but, really, how can you say you are determined to fly when you've no experience, short of sitting in the back of a 747 going on your hols?

Come on, use your brain! Do you really think it's a good idea that your AFCO submits an application for you as a pilot when you've decided that you want to be a Zero? I won't question your dodgy decision for wanting to sit there wishing you were driving, rather than listening to things that ping but do you really think applying to medical school to be a doctor is a good idea if you want to be a radiologist?

So, in short, (a)no you don't need flying experience but, yes, you will get questioned why you don't have any (b)start using your nonce and applying some common sense, rather than expecting to be spoon-fed through every aspect of joining the RN.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. If Noel Edmonds can fly a fu**ing helicopter, then any pleb can. Don't forget to change your middle name to something like "Wildman" or "Goose" or "Hawkeye" or "John Denver" - no scrub round that last one. And get a bloody big Ace of Spades tattoo done in the centre of your forehead...the flyin' bit will then be a piece of piss.
  17. fails_as_is

fails_as_is Badgeman Book Reviewer

Ninja, is there a shortage in Warfare officers because people didn't want to join a branch where they eat their own young? And further to that why don't we offer an up to £27k golden handshake to dabbers too?
  18. What pontius, has very kindly omitted from his above post, is that the one with the brains is actually the Observer =-\\\\\\\\
    • Like Like x 1
  19. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

You're in trouble now mate, you need to remember that Noel Edmunds is Wet Blobbys hero.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Ninja_Stoker

Shortage Officer categories are currently Warfairy (SM), Air Engineers & Weapons Engineers. The only "golden hello's" on offer are the £5K submarine qualifying bonus and the engineer's £12K. Over the years we struggled to recruit sufficient warfare officers probably because the medical parameters and age limitations significantly evaporated the pool of eligible applicants.