Flight Deck Movie

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by higthepig, Jul 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thought this would be more up your street HTP

HERMES 1960
  2. brill proper chockheads! wonder which was the other ship? notice Whirlwind 88 was Acting as planeguard. I wonder if that was in the days before they had the red nose SAR ? Think i will watch it again PS I reconise the guy in the howdar :thumright: just worked it out the other ship is HMS Victorious as Scimitar 154 has the V on the tail and must be cross/opping :thumright:
  3. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

At about 9 mins into the video a Skyraider saunters past ..

Now read the book - 'HMS Leviathan' by John Winton, Michael Joseph 1967 (but clearly reflecting Winton's service in Eagle in 1956, when she was nearly new).

Winton (Lt Cdr John Pratt, 1931-2001), was an engineer officer who, after experiencing two carriers (Illustrious before Eagle) went into submarines.
  4. :thumright: B/Z just noticed the tail wheel :w00t: PS bet nobody sailed in the actual HMS Leviathan(twisted keel?)
  5. Seaweed

I did hear that while the actual Leviathan was parked up in Fountain Lake it was providing (unofficial) free accom. for numerous dockyard maties.
  6. Also a shed load of seagulls :thumright:
  7. Taken your advice. Order "HMS Leviathan" snip at £5 inc P/P From Sweepadeal. PS Hope its as good as my Fav "Iron Coffins" :thumright:
  8. Seaweed

Or order on loan from your local public library - 50p or another £1 if it has to be borrowed from another county (prices may vary between Local Authorities).

The hangar fire in the book must be drawn from the life as Winton was directly involved in extinguishing one in Eagle just before Suez.

'Nother carrier book is 'The Raging of the Sea' by John Gidley (Wheeler) who was a Gannet pilot.

Earlier - 'Bring back my Stringbag' by John Godley (Lord Kilbracken); 'Sea Flight' by Hugh Popham (Sea Hurricane pilot, HMS Indomitable); 'Illustrious', Kenneth Poolman.
  9. Scuse I for being a numbnuts.....I understood that it was Centaur with the twisted keel and never went to sea, mostly being spare gear for Ark and an accom ship.....could you give me any more info on Leviathan.
  10. Centaurs last commission was 63/65 then she was the accomodation ship for the Victorious. I lived on her for a year whilst the Vic was fitting out, next to her at Pompey. In all my time in the Andrew 12 yrs the Leviathan never moved from Fountain lake :thumright:
  11. Cheers Scouse.
  12. Seaweed

Centaur was going to pay off for full due in 1963 - came home cheerfully ditching as much as possible into the Bay of Biscay en route. Then, Ha! change of plan, recommissioning after all - some red faces I think (and pierhead jump for a friend of mine who told me about this). One more commission and then accom ship etc.

As to Vic's 'fitting out', I remember seeing her in dock in Pompey cut down to 3 deck in 1953 so it took a wee while to get her sorted. Problem (and death knell for her sisters) was that the Illustrious class hangars were too small for the 1950s aircraft coming along.
  13. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Centaur_(R06)
  14. Whats that all about ? The Badgers Polishing the Rollers :w00t: :thumright:
  15. Many thanks for that link, I am enjoying going through them. Priceless.

I was on board the Centaur as an RAN sea cadet in Fremantle, a few moons ago.