Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flight Aptitude Tests

RAFreject

Newbie
hoping someone can give me good news on this question:

A few months ago I went to OASC for the RAF, applying as a Fighter Controller or Air Traffic Officer. I failed the interview (which is a long story in itself), but passed all the aptitude tests EXCEPT pilot.

In a few weeks I'm going for my FAT at Cranwell. Firstly, is it true that you now need to pass pilot as well as the observer aptitudes to be an observer (what I am applying for)?

Secondly, I understand that you cannot do the aptitude tests for the RAF more than once in a year. Does this apply across services? Basically, can i still go for my FAT and onto AIB at around christmas, or do I have to wait for a year?

Any information would be much appreciated.
 

fido

MIA
RAFreject said:
hoping someone can give me good news on this question:

A few months ago I went to OASC for the RAF, applying as a Fighter Controller or Air Traffic Officer. I failed the interview (which is a long story in itself), but passed all the aptitude tests EXCEPT pilot.

In a few weeks I'm going for my FAT at Cranwell. Firstly, is it true that you now need to pass pilot as well as the observer aptitudes to be an observer (what I am applying for)?

Secondly, I understand that you cannot do the aptitude tests for the RAF more than once in a year. Does this apply across services? Basically, can i still go for my FAT and onto AIB at around christmas, or do I have to wait for a year?

Any information would be much appreciated.

RAFreject,

I don't think that you have to pass both - the purpose of the FAT is to determine what you are best suited for - the skill set is naturally different for each. You can, of course, become a Fighter Controller or an Air Traffic Controller in the RN (Fleet Air Arm). The former spec is normally an additional qualification gained by (X) branch officers whilst the latter is a FAA branch. I reckon that FAA Fighter Controllers and Air Traffic Controllers are way ahead of their contemporaries in the RAF. I will check out facts concerning FAT etc tomorrow and PM you. Bon Chance
 

RAFreject

Newbie
Cheers - to be honest the RAF was always second (maybe even third behind a real job + naval reserve) choice, I treated it as a trial-run for AIB (maybe this made me complacent in the interview stage, as i sailed everything up to then, but when a wing commander starts asking me about Jamie Oliver's recent media appearances then i feel less agrieved about being sent home - "bollocks to Trident, selling Eurofighters to Saudi Arabia, Iran's Uranium enrichment: i want to know about school dinners"). i suspect that if there was enough cross-service communication, they wouldn't let me go to OASC, then for my FAT so soon after.

I would obviously consider an Air Traffic Control Officer in the RN, but the only reason i went for it for my second choice in the RAF was cos there was very little open when i applied. first and foremost i'm going for a commission, second a trade.
 

fido

MIA
RAFreject said:
Cheers - to be honest the RAF was always second (maybe even third behind a real job + naval reserve) choice, I treated it as a trial-run for AIB (maybe this made me complacent in the interview stage, as i sailed everything up to then, but when a wing commander starts asking me about Jamie Oliver's recent media appearances then i feel less agrieved about being sent home - "bollocks to Trident, selling Eurofighters to Saudi Arabia, Iran's Uranium enrichment: i want to know about school dinners"). i suspect that if there was enough cross-service communication, they wouldn't let me go to OASC, then for my FAT so soon after.

I would obviously consider an Air Traffic Control Officer in the RN, but the only reason i went for it for my second choice in the RAF was cos there was very little open when i applied. first and foremost i'm going for a commission, second a trade.
 

fido

MIA
RAFreject said:
Cheers - to be honest the RAF was always second (maybe even third behind a real job + naval reserve) choice, I treated it as a trial-run for AIB (maybe this made me complacent in the interview stage, as i sailed everything up to then, but when a wing commander starts asking me about Jamie Oliver's recent media appearances then i feel less agrieved about being sent home - "bollocks to Trident, selling Eurofighters to Saudi Arabia, Iran's Uranium enrichment: i want to know about school dinners"). i suspect that if there was enough cross-service communication, they wouldn't let me go to OASC, then for my FAT so soon after.

I would obviously consider an Air Traffic Control Officer in the RN, but the only reason i went for it for my second choice in the RAF was cos there was very little open when i applied. first and foremost i'm going for a commission, second a trade.

RAFreject

I've sent you a private message (pm) which might help.

fido
 

Pierre_Argh

Lantern Swinger
The questions asked at Selection Interviews aren't necessarily looking for an answer, but the way you answer. So, it might be a given that a candidate for the RAF would have swotted up on the latest equipment (and probably has posters plastered all over their bedroom wall)... but by asking a question about something unrelated, like Jamie Oliver's Campaign for better School Dinners, you can check awareness of other issues and a sense of how the candidate responds to an unexpected question... maybe even learn something about their attitudes and politics too?

The classic example is to ask what newspapers they read... then perhaps say "who is the defence correspondant for that paper?"... if an answer is given, fair enough, but seeing how people respond if they don't know the answer can be even more revealing.
 

RAFreject

Newbie
i agree (partly) - theres nothing like them hearing "i read the Times, every day, cover to cover", then asking "ok, whos the foreign correspondent for the Times" - if nothing else its to test whos telling porkies.

HOWEVER, i've got nothing against keeping my current affairs up to date but i'm not gonna study a channel 4 documentary, no matter what comes out of it. it says it all for me that i tried to take the discussion to a 'higher' level (junk food's role in society compared to that of, say, smoking; lifelong habits being learnt as a child; the loss of playing fields; etc) but she wasn't having any of it.
 

fido

MIA
Pierre_Argh said:
The questions asked at Selection Interviews aren't necessarily looking for an answer, but the way you answer. So, it might be a given that a candidate for the RAF would have swotted up on the latest equipment (and probably has posters plastered all over their bedroom wall)... but by asking a question about something unrelated, like Jamie Oliver's Campaign for better School Dinners, you can check awareness of other issues and a sense of how the candidate responds to an unexpected question... maybe even learn something about their attitudes and politics too?

The classic example is to ask what newspapers they read... then perhaps say "who is the defence correspondant for that paper?"... if an answer is given, fair enough, but seeing how people respond if they don't know the answer can be even more revealing.

Good point well made, Pierre.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Flight Aptitude Tests The Fleet Air Arm 14
shotty13 Worried about maths - flight aptitude tests Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
P Flight Aptitude Tests The Fleet Air Arm 18
M Flight Aptitude Test advice - Aircrewman Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
T Flight Aptitude Test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
MoD_RSS AAIB Report: Mooney M20K, Baggage door detachment in flight MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prepare for lift-off: Jet Zero Council to deliver carbon-free flight MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK statement on the anniversary of the downing of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 MoD News 0
higthepig Flight Deck Movie.............. Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 185
soleil FB: "Sea King XV666 ‘Damien’ Visits The Navy Wings Heritage Hangar On The 50th Anniversary Of The First Flight" The Fleet Air Arm 56
MoD_RSS New flight from Jamaica to bring home British travellers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Charter flight from Jamaica for British travellers seeking to return to the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Charter flight from Guyana for stranded British nationals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Government announces flight for British travellers stranded in Fiji MoD News 0
MoD_RSS First charter flight departed from Bangladesh to bring British travellers home MoD News 0
MoD_RSS First Charter Flight Leaves for the UK MoD News 0
soleil Guardian: "Man Accidentally Ejects Himself From Fighter Jet During Surprise Flight" The Fleet Air Arm 4
MoD_RSS British passengers from Grand Princess on US flight to the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Criminal trial on the downing of flight MH17: UK Statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Diamond Princess evacuation flight lands in the UK: Foreign Secretary statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Nationals Depart Wuhan on Flight to the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coronavirus repatriation flight: Ambassador's message to UK nationals in Wuhan and Hubei MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM statement on Ukrainian International Airlines Flight 752 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS AAIB report: Rolladen-Schneider LS7, pilot suffered a heart attack in-flight MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A connected UK: government extends Dundee to London flight route for another year MoD News 0
MoD_RSS AAIB report: Eurocopter EC135, serious incident during maintenance flight MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Developing the future of flight: take part in the challenge MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary statement on fifth anniversary of downing of flight MH17 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK military flight training heads towards new heights MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Transatlantic flight guarantee as UK and Canada agree new air arrangement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK and Argentina agree new flight linking the Falklands and South America MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Lift-off: F-35 take-off technology site opens ahead of historic flight trials MoD News 0
soleil Lockheed Martin: "F-35 Completes Most Comprehensive Flight Test Program in Aviation History" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Express: "Historic Flight Team Faces Chop Over MoD Funding" The Fleet Air Arm 3
fishhead In flight problem Land Ops 0
F Aircraft carrier with peeled back flight deck. History 13
F Flight Operations staff, experienced or novice, for our Fairoaks Airport base, near Woking, Surrey The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
wet_blobby Help needed for Junglies farewell flight. The Fleet Air Arm 21
clonmel HMS Gannet SAR Flight Decommissioning Parade The Fleet Air Arm 3
BillyNoMates Flight MH-17 Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS Fatality notice: Flight Lieutenants Alan Scott and Geraint Roberts have died MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Army Reserves take flight to broaden their horizons MoD News 0
soleil "F-35 Lightning II Jet To Make Maiden British Flight" The Fleet Air Arm 7
soleil YouTube: Lockheed Martin: F-35B STOVL Mode Formation Flight Testing The Fleet Air Arm 2
S Badgers and Flight Deck Machinery. The Fleet Air Arm 12
scouse Final flight For Nicole The Fleet Air Arm 20
Ninja_Stoker Tiny Robo-Fly, maiden flight Current Affairs 2
doublehelix White Flight from the Capital City Current Affairs 89
MoD_RSS News story: UK Lynx flight completes French warship deployment MoD News 0
BFRS Flight Dynamics The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Similar threads


















































Latest Threads

Top