Flight Aptitude Tests

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by RAFreject, Sep 20, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hoping someone can give me good news on this question:

A few months ago I went to OASC for the RAF, applying as a Fighter Controller or Air Traffic Officer. I failed the interview (which is a long story in itself), but passed all the aptitude tests EXCEPT pilot.

In a few weeks I'm going for my FAT at Cranwell. Firstly, is it true that you now need to pass pilot as well as the observer aptitudes to be an observer (what I am applying for)?

Secondly, I understand that you cannot do the aptitude tests for the RAF more than once in a year. Does this apply across services? Basically, can i still go for my FAT and onto AIB at around christmas, or do I have to wait for a year?

Any information would be much appreciated.
  2. RAFreject,

I don't think that you have to pass both - the purpose of the FAT is to determine what you are best suited for - the skill set is naturally different for each. You can, of course, become a Fighter Controller or an Air Traffic Controller in the RN (Fleet Air Arm). The former spec is normally an additional qualification gained by (X) branch officers whilst the latter is a FAA branch. I reckon that FAA Fighter Controllers and Air Traffic Controllers are way ahead of their contemporaries in the RAF. I will check out facts concerning FAT etc tomorrow and PM you. Bon Chance
  3. Cheers - to be honest the RAF was always second (maybe even third behind a real job + naval reserve) choice, I treated it as a trial-run for AIB (maybe this made me complacent in the interview stage, as i sailed everything up to then, but when a wing commander starts asking me about Jamie Oliver's recent media appearances then i feel less agrieved about being sent home - "bollocks to Trident, selling Eurofighters to Saudi Arabia, Iran's Uranium enrichment: i want to know about school dinners"). i suspect that if there was enough cross-service communication, they wouldn't let me go to OASC, then for my FAT so soon after.

I would obviously consider an Air Traffic Control Officer in the RN, but the only reason i went for it for my second choice in the RAF was cos there was very little open when i applied. first and foremost i'm going for a commission, second a trade.
  5. RAFreject

I've sent you a private message (pm) which might help.

6. The questions asked at Selection Interviews aren't necessarily looking for an answer, but the way you answer. So, it might be a given that a candidate for the RAF would have swotted up on the latest equipment (and probably has posters plastered all over their bedroom wall)... but by asking a question about something unrelated, like Jamie Oliver's Campaign for better School Dinners, you can check awareness of other issues and a sense of how the candidate responds to an unexpected question... maybe even learn something about their attitudes and politics too?

The classic example is to ask what newspapers they read... then perhaps say "who is the defence correspondant for that paper?"... if an answer is given, fair enough, but seeing how people respond if they don't know the answer can be even more revealing.
  7. i agree (partly) - theres nothing like them hearing "i read the Times, every day, cover to cover", then asking "ok, whos the foreign correspondent for the Times" - if nothing else its to test whos telling porkies.

HOWEVER, i've got nothing against keeping my current affairs up to date but i'm not gonna study a channel 4 documentary, no matter what comes out of it. it says it all for me that i tried to take the discussion to a 'higher' level (junk food's role in society compared to that of, say, smoking; lifelong habits being learnt as a child; the loss of playing fields; etc) but she wasn't having any of it.
  8. Good point well made, Pierre.