Flight Aptitude Test

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by tonypeers5, May 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any got any advice for the FAT. Got mine in 6 weeks

2. Hi, I will have mine shortly, i second what you say :)

3. In the interest of sanity, I`ll third it.

4. You need to be good at mental arithmatic and speed/time distance (STD)problems. eg. How long will it take to fly 24 miles at 120 kts? Or do you have enough fuel left to return to base at a given rate of consumption with a given amount remaining in the tank.

The "rule of 6" will help with many STD problems. IE every 6 mins you will travel 1/10th of your speed. EG at 120 knots you travel 12 miles every 6 mins, so the answer to the question above is 12 minutes.

Most of the test takes place on a computer simulator for which you either have the aptitude or you dont. Good luck.

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I'll fourth it.

FATs advice in the stickies section.

Bon chance.

6. if somebody could fiver it -

then i can sixer it

which remind s me of my cub scout days where i was a sixer and akela used to make me his special little cub every thursday after all the other cubs has gone home

they were the days

7. Do you actually find out your mark?

8. From what I've gathered I think you get your marks when you're debriefed on whether you passed or not. However having the actual mark you scored isn't really going to help unless you are the AIB board, your ACLO or the people who run the tests because they're the only ones who know what the marks mean. All you need to know is what you passed and how well, thats how I view it anyway and I've got mine in over a week!!

I assume you've started learning your SDT and mental arithmetic as said above? Very Very important from what I've heard. Like Ninja said try the FATs sticky and have a look on here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=96
    They've got a bit on FATs and aptitude, mainly crab stuff, and a SDT for dummies thread which is very helpful

9. when I did my FATs (Dec '06) we were given the result after lunch, but were not told the mark. Like every test in the RN application the marks are not given out, just the results. Your AFCO will know the mark, so bug them if you really want it.

10. when I did my FATs (Dec '06) we were given the result after lunch, but were not told the mark. Like every test in the RN application the marks are not given out, just the results. Your AFCO will know the mark, so bug them if you really want it.

11. I'll second that...

12. I'll second that.....

13. Just got to third it

14. Just got to third it

15. Just got to third it

16. got my FAT's on the 21st and 22nd of july, bit nervous but all these threads have deffo helped! cheers

p.s anyone else got their FAT's on the same dates?

17. Mine's the same, where you travelling from

18. Do the questions have to be worked out in your head or is there pen and paper to work them out?

19. You are given a calculator and get to read the the questions first for four hours, you are allowed to practice till you get them right then you take the exam. I know that this is extremely difficult, but what the hell, It`s character building.

20. Got to be at Cranwell by 1600hrs, then got my test tomorrow. ARGHHHHH!!!!. It's come around soooooooooooo quickly. Will let you know how I do tomorrow night.