Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flight Aptitude Test advice - Aircrewman

MountainFox

Midshipman
Hi all,

I am soon to be taking my FATs for Aircrewman and I’ve read all the posts on here to death but thought I’d try and get some more recent info if anybody has experienced the dreaded FATs recently? Or is soon to!

I’ve been brushing up on my SDT and mental arithmetic. Can anyone give me an example of how a fuel consumption question would be phrased?

Also, does anyone know if the Aircrewman testing is indeed shorter/different to the standard test? Are the co-ordination tests still done with joystick/pedals?

And of course any advice? Probably for my own confidence more than anything because I’ve read nothing but negative info about it!

Thanks!

monolord

Midshipman
Good websites to help you practice for FATs:

https://rafcbat.wordpress.com/

http://www.speeddistancetime.info/index.php (personally spent hours on this before attending FATs)

The testing is shorter compared to the tests for Pilot/Observer, but it still takes a good couple of hours to complete. There's an app called CBAT which you can get on your phone which I found to be a big help before sitting FATS, as it helped with doing basic mental arithmetic and help for the CLAN test amongst other things.

Good luck mate!

MountainFox

Midshipman
Had anybody recently taken FATs for Aircrewman? I’m finding so much mixed info on what tests are actually taken, apparently there is no SDT tests for ACMN and I have been rinsing through them...

MAXtmpu

Midshipman
Had anybody recently taken FATs for Aircrewman? I’m finding so much mixed info on what tests are actually taken, apparently there is no SDT tests for ACMN and I have been rinsing through them...
Just found my FATs result sheet which features Pilot, Observer, ATC, and "WSO (Info Only)" batteries. I am assuming that WSO is for aircrewman? I don't know for certain if it is, but regardless, here are the tests included on that battery:
  • Cognitive Updating Test, Situational Awareness Test, Spatial Integration Test
  • Target Recognition Test, Table Reading Test
  • Auditory Capacity Test
  • Directions and Distances, Instrument Comprehension Test
  • System Logic Test, Airborne Numerical Test
  • Rapid Tracking Test
  • Colours, Letters, and Numbers
Honestly, I have no idea whether this is the aircrewman test battery, but given that it was the only remaining battery on my RN FATs result sheet, I think that perhaps - deductively - it could be the aircrewman battery. I personally wasn't debriefed on that result as I was going for pilot and passed for all roles.

Hope this helps. Just ensure that you are prepared for whatever they might throw at you.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Flight Aptitude Test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
C Flight Aptitude Tests The Fleet Air Arm 14
shotty13 Worried about maths - flight aptitude tests Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 21
P Flight Aptitude Tests The Fleet Air Arm 18
R Flight Aptitude Tests The Fleet Air Arm 7
MoD_RSS AAIB Report: Mooney M20K, Baggage door detachment in flight MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Prepare for lift-off: Jet Zero Council to deliver carbon-free flight MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK statement on the anniversary of the downing of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17 MoD News 0
higthepig Flight Deck Movie.............. Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 185
soleil FB: "Sea King XV666 ‘Damien’ Visits The Navy Wings Heritage Hangar On The 50th Anniversary Of The First Flight" The Fleet Air Arm 56
MoD_RSS New flight from Jamaica to bring home British travellers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Charter flight from Jamaica for British travellers seeking to return to the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Charter flight from Guyana for stranded British nationals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Government announces flight for British travellers stranded in Fiji MoD News 0
MoD_RSS First charter flight departed from Bangladesh to bring British travellers home MoD News 0
MoD_RSS First Charter Flight Leaves for the UK MoD News 0
soleil Guardian: "Man Accidentally Ejects Himself From Fighter Jet During Surprise Flight" The Fleet Air Arm 4
MoD_RSS British passengers from Grand Princess on US flight to the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Criminal trial on the downing of flight MH17: UK Statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Diamond Princess evacuation flight lands in the UK: Foreign Secretary statement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Nationals Depart Wuhan on Flight to the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coronavirus repatriation flight: Ambassador's message to UK nationals in Wuhan and Hubei MoD News 0
MoD_RSS PM statement on Ukrainian International Airlines Flight 752 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS AAIB report: Rolladen-Schneider LS7, pilot suffered a heart attack in-flight MoD News 0
MoD_RSS A connected UK: government extends Dundee to London flight route for another year MoD News 0
MoD_RSS AAIB report: Eurocopter EC135, serious incident during maintenance flight MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Developing the future of flight: take part in the challenge MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary statement on fifth anniversary of downing of flight MH17 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK military flight training heads towards new heights MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Transatlantic flight guarantee as UK and Canada agree new air arrangement MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK and Argentina agree new flight linking the Falklands and South America MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Lift-off: F-35 take-off technology site opens ahead of historic flight trials MoD News 0
soleil Lockheed Martin: "F-35 Completes Most Comprehensive Flight Test Program in Aviation History" The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Express: "Historic Flight Team Faces Chop Over MoD Funding" The Fleet Air Arm 3
fishhead In flight problem Land Ops 0
F Aircraft carrier with peeled back flight deck. History 13
F Flight Operations staff, experienced or novice, for our Fairoaks Airport base, near Woking, Surrey The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
wet_blobby Help needed for Junglies farewell flight. The Fleet Air Arm 21
clonmel HMS Gannet SAR Flight Decommissioning Parade The Fleet Air Arm 3
BillyNoMates Flight MH-17 Current Affairs 0
MoD_RSS Fatality notice: Flight Lieutenants Alan Scott and Geraint Roberts have died MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Army Reserves take flight to broaden their horizons MoD News 0
soleil "F-35 Lightning II Jet To Make Maiden British Flight" The Fleet Air Arm 7
soleil YouTube: Lockheed Martin: F-35B STOVL Mode Formation Flight Testing The Fleet Air Arm 2
S Badgers and Flight Deck Machinery. The Fleet Air Arm 12
scouse Final flight For Nicole The Fleet Air Arm 20
Ninja_Stoker Tiny Robo-Fly, maiden flight Current Affairs 2
doublehelix White Flight from the Capital City Current Affairs 89
MoD_RSS News story: UK Lynx flight completes French warship deployment MoD News 0
BFRS Flight Dynamics The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0