Flight Aptitde Tests - Serving Pilots Pref.

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by shiko, Sep 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening guys,

My first post here, trying to find out some information from people who know their stuff.

I have recently sat my flying aptitude tests at RAF Cranwell in preparation for my AIB in Portsmouth. I have a score and am wondering how competitive it actually is.

I am mainly inquiring about what scores would be graded as:

- 'Selectable'
    - 'Above Average'
    - 'Good'
    - 'Excellent'
    etc..

And then what bearing these actually have on the AIB procedure and following (hopefully) professional flying training.

Do those who have undertaken flying training find that say 120 scores end up rotary and 150 on FJ for example?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Shiko

2. Hi, with the limited experience i have the AIB is more interested in 'You' as an officer as opposed to an aviator, your initial aptitude has assessed you at a level suitable as Observer or Pilot or both (observers are generally brighter but zoomies are brighter still) If you pass the AIB then part of your training as aircrew will give you a grading and your career path will go from there.
    Good luck and don't be an armchair engineer.
    fb
    (ex flying maintainer, with aircrew aptitude pass followed by AIB fail :tp: )

3. Bloody hope so, been a lifetime ambition to do this!

All I received on my FAT report was:

"FB(P) Pass - 166, Cut off - 112."

Any ideas of what the maximum achievable score is?

Regards,

Shiko

4. This being the case it would seem that though a man may make a good pilot, he may not make an officer.
    Time to open up rating pilots again.

5. Shiko,
    I have just got my date for BRNC as pilot officer. They stance the RN takes on RN pilots is you are an officer first pilot second. Try not to get caught up with your scores. Its a good pass but there is still a way to go. If you put as much effort into studying for AIB then you will not have a problem. What you fly will not be decided until further down the line, well after grading at Yeovilton and normally at the end of EFT (Elimentry Flying Training) in Barkston Heath. Its easy to say how much you want it but show that the the AIB staff. Good luck to you and try not to look at your selection time as a competition. Your all in it together so work as a team. Your treated like any other potential officer at AIB.

Good luck again

Nick

6. Basically mate, the only people that know about FATs properly are the testers, the ACLOs, and the FTO at BRNC. It makes jack shit difference whether you scrape through or you fly through them. You are assessed on your abilities at grading with 727. The good ones pass, the bad ones fail, the very good ones (and I mean a very select few) get an FJ recommendation. So stop worrying about your FAT scores, they're out of your hands now, and worry about getting through AIB, as the pass rate (for EVERYONE) is about 20%.

7. nicely said aljh!

8. Is there a reason for the current high demand for Aircrew in the RN?

Lack of supply or large demand??

9. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

There's always a large demand for aircrew: not many remain for a full career (especially pilots), it's not the sort of job you can do forever (physical aspects) those who do choose to remain for a full career need to move on and take command.

10. More likely to be Cranwell as a Pilot Officer......

:D

I'll get my coat

11. Thats a bonus then, that turnover is large - hopefully they are after lots of Pilots on 01 October when I go to AIB!

Have spoken to other serving members of RN and local careers officer at my pre-AIB brief and they both mentioned the strong correlation between aptitude scores and performance. They said its to do with the acquisition risk; that being the % chance of success with flight training.

Hopefully this is also taken into account, which I'm sure it must be. Would be a waste of money sitting the tests otherwise and could save the MOD bags of money on wasted Pilot training.

Any last minute tips for AIB, feel fairly well prepared and am confident in knowing they are actually recruiting for jobs that exist.

Regards,

Shiko

12. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

13. AIB Tips:

Be yourself - do not try to be someone you are not

Pay particular attention to supporting the leader in team events when you are not the leader yourself. Help as much as you can but do not try and take over. Similarly make use of the team when you are the leader. Listen to their ideas - delegate rather than do everything yourself - try and stand back and supervise - do not get too close to the problem so that you cannot see the whole picture.

If you want to fly make sure you know something about the physics of flight both fixed wing and rotary - ie principals of lift etc

Be careful not to bullshit in the main interview. Dont lead the panel to think you know about something when actually you are guessing -better to say you dont know the answer - honesty and frankness are key.

Remember you are under scrutiny the whole tmie you are at the AIB even when you think you are "off watch".

Remember that you can pass the AIB but still not get a place at BRNC!!!

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

14. Thanks for the luck, will come in handy.

My board date is 01 OCT so I should know if I've passed AIB by 3rd/4th.

Ill let you know, fingers crossed.

15. Hey guys,

Good news for me, I passed AIB.

What would you suggest were realistic chances of being accepted?

My debrief said AIB pass with strong FAT scores.

Should I pack my bags or am I in for a long wait??

Many Thanks

16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Well done Cullie, congratulations.

You will have been told at AIB the standard attained & should contact you OCLO to get a clearer picture of predicted potential entry dates.

17. Hey Goodish news,

Provided I'm fit the selection officer said that I had reasonable AIB scores and very good FAT scores which puts me in a strong position for selection.

Should be starting February or April of 08.

Anyone else confirmed for these start dates?

Rich