Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Fleet - what fleet

avoiding_action said:
The Clyde is a real gin palace. The JR's are all in 2 man cabins with their own on-suite. And its all crome and mirrors not pussers fittings!

A new trial is about to start with rotating ships companies.

A T42 is having it's whole crew changed over to keep it on station in the SA

A T23 is having a Gulf patrol extended and the crew rotated bit by bit on-station.

And there's a third experiment but can't rermber the details.

This in a C-IN-C Fleet priority to see if it works. Save wasting time rotating the hulls.

Copying the Yanks again!

Aren't you warming the bell on this one a bit? I have yet to see the briefing notes making this public.

Maxi_77 said:
[

I have a little rubber dinghy with an outboard I might be prepared to paint grey and sell for the right price.

Peter

Be more use than a 45 - we'll take it. I'll just go & ask CDP for the dosh.....bugger - I knew there was a flaw in the plan!

Not_a_boffin said:
Maxi_77 said:
[

I have a little rubber dinghy with an outboard I might be prepared to paint grey and sell for the right price.

Peter

Be more use than a 45 - we'll take it. I'll just go & ask CDP for the dosh.....bugger - I knew there was a flaw in the plan!

I might be prepared to lease.......

Peter

Asst_Ed said:
sootblower said:
Aren't you warming the bell on this one a bit? I have yet to see the briefing notes making this public.

It's imminent...

I realised that having seen some briefing notes. I suppose that is what RR is for. Its all rumour 'till they publish and be dammed. I wonder if they will go public just before the main summer leave period starts and Parliament stands down?

I think the crew swop for the 42 is going to happen as I was informed of this by a guy who is on one of the two 42's involved in the swop. Could just be a NAAFI buzz of course, but can see no reason why he would have told me if it was not being talked about?!?

Maxi_77 said:
Not_a_boffin said:
Sootblower & AA - the trouble with forward basing is that it will inevitably lead to further cuts in the DD/FF force. One of the assumptions used in sizing the DD/FF force is three ships per directed task - mainly based on the work-up, deploy, return, leave, AMP cycle. The thrust of the manpower experiments is actually to see if they can demolish this assumption, thereby getting away with fewer hulls and then looking good for cost-saving. Normally, you wouldn't argue with doing things that way, but the "fleet" is now so small you have to wonder where it would stop.

Peter

As for the dinghy - Me too, I also have a 30 foot Yacht berthed in a Cinqe Port which could also look nice in grey for the right price !

brigham600 said:
I think the crew swop for the 42 is going to happen as I was informed of this by a guy who is on one of the two 42's involved in the swop. Could just be a NAAFI buzz of course, but can see no reason why he would have told me if it was not being talked about?!?

I saw similar in a DGLF blurb sheet a few months back. I was impressed that all modern warships must be identical and don't have individual oddities. So you work-up in same of Class and then whisk off to your appointment, en mass. The fact it's got a different name to the one the ship's company gelled together in doesn't matter, apparently. No doubt, if it is found to matter, there could be a plan to take the work-up ship's name with you and the returning Company could bring the old name back for the duty FOSTer. Hey! do you think I could get a GEMS for that?

So its back to the old days,GS commission,F Service commission,2 and a half years .and 18 months, come home pay off and recommission,so whats new about that?

Latest Threads