Fleet Air Arm

Grubber

Lantern Swinger
If you join as a rating, you have until the age of 25 to be selected for officer candidate. After that you have to be a senior rate to qualify for the Senior Upper Yardman scheme.

If you fancy yourself as an intellectual, you will be bored out of your mind as a Chock-head (Handler), and will always want more of a challenge than pushing aircraft around the flight deck.

No offence to the branch, it's just the truth that it ain't the most brain taxing job in the world. Fun, Im sure and even challenging in high seas, but not Mensa stuff.

slim

War Hero
I've been away from the navy and fleet air arm in particular for longer than many RR members have been in.
Has anyone information to the educational requirements currently required for the various FAA trades?
Handler, AET, Met, Phot etc. and how these equate to GCSE grades?
When I joined in 1963 the FAA had their own educational test called ETFAR (Educational Test For Fleet Air Arm Ratings) This was of a higher standard than the normal navy tests. The range of the test was such that a high enough score negated the requirement to pass ETLR (Educational Test for Leading Rate) required for advancement to LH.

RoofRat

War Hero
Just to put a light note on things, I agree that intelligence and CDF are different. I knew Tiffs who could give you the cube root of a biscuit tin, but struggled to get the lid off with out a manual.
RoofRat

Grubber

Lantern Swinger
RoofRat said:
Just to put a light note on things, I agree that intelligence and CDF are different. I knew Tiffs who could give you the cube root of a biscuit tin, but struggled to get the lid off with out a manual.
RoofRat

And I know handlers who wouldn't have bothered with the lid and would have just beaten a hole in the tin instead :lol: .

Common sense is a lot more valuable than intelligence in the RN in general though.

RoofRat

War Hero
Grubber sez
And I know handlers who wouldn't have bothered with the lid and would have just beaten a hole in the tin instead

Grubbs they couldn't have been in long, the old and bold always had a P-45 :lol: :lol:
(for the uninitiated, that's little can spanner out of a 24hr Rat pack)

Common sense is a lot more valuable than intelligence in the RN in general though.
Agree with that entirely mate.
RoofRat

Grubber

Lantern Swinger
RoofRat said:
Grubber sez
And I know handlers who wouldn't have bothered with the lid and would have just beaten a hole in the tin instead

Grubbs they couldn't have been in long, the old and bold always had a P-45 :lol: :lol:

RoofRat

Didn't realise we were talking rat pack food...

Would rather boil and eat my own toe nail clippings!

slim

War Hero
Grubber said:
RoofRat said:
Grubber sez

RoofRat

Didn't realise we were talking rat pack food...

Would rather boil and eat my own toe nail clippings!

You musy be joking. Babies heads came out of Rat Packs (in the old days) finest food fit for sailors.

Grubber

Lantern Swinger
Baby's Heads wre (and indeed still are) the finest food the pusser ever bought, but alas no longer in Rat Packs.

These days you get Burger n Beans for Breakfast (I ask you?) and some attempt at classic brit food for tea (Lancashire hotpot etc). Those and brown biscuits which stop you from S**tting for days after.

Yummy!!

RoofRat

War Hero
:cry: I 've seen the new Rat Packs! Made by Westlers. They are the people who first started using Mechanically recovered meat. That's all of the bits of shite left on a carcase after the butchers/flensers have had their go. Whats left is taken off with a high pressure hose and trapped in a seive (?) Reformed, tinned and...........................................Ends up in little Olive green tins and sachets :???:
Babies Heads any day thanks.
RoofRat