Fleet Air Arm

SpeedBall

Midshipman
Handler said:
If you need any dits from what and how the AH branch worked--let me know I'm sure I can bore you with all sorts of tales of yore----and if I can't then there a few others who can !

I'm all ears :wink:

avoiding_action

Lantern Swinger
Direct Entry Aircraft Controller will be happening this year.

It's like ATC in the crabs, except you're on your own on a ship and you get to blow shit up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You do ATC later on in your career for some variation.

slim

War Hero
SpeedBall said:
Could you do that with no GCSE's though :???:

With no GCSEs you will be lucky to get into the Fleet Air Arm.
It will of course depend on how well you do with the entrance exams, but unless things have really changed the Fleet air Arm (in any trade) is more difficult to get into than many other branches. Why not go to evening classes and study English & Maths to GCSE level. Its a pain in the arse when you would rather be out with the lads but could prove useful in the long term.

RoofRat

War Hero
Speedball, go and have a look at this link; http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/upload/pdf/DNR_0214_L3_aircraft_handler.pdf

Read between the lines (bullshit) I did 22 years as a Handler, and would do the same again given the chance.
Most of the lads that I joined up with, are still friends now,47 years later!
Don't listen to any crap about, low pay band, it's happened before and changed back. don't worry about ringbolt picking, you'll be doing that in the sun while most of the grubbers and clankys are in the shed. No GCse's? (It might have changed? Most of us got ours while serving.
As long as you have, a can do attitude, you'll do.
RoofRat

slim

War Hero
RoofRat said:
Speedball, go and have a look at this link; http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/upload/pdf/DNR_0214_L3_aircraft_handler.pdf

Read between the lines (bullshit) I did 22 years as a Handler, and would do the same again given the chance.
Most of the lads that I joined up with, are still friends now,47 years later!
Don't listen to any crap about, low pay band, it's happened before and changed back. don't worry about ringbolt picking, you'll be doing that in the sun while most of the grubbers and clankys are in the shed. No GCse's? (It might have changed? Most of us got ours while serving.
As long as you have, a can do attitude, you'll do.
RoofRat

Things in the education world have changed since we joined Roofrat. I joined in 1963 and very few had GCEs (the forerunner of the GCSE) and they were usually tiffs and Wrns. As you say most of us took our GCEs while serving, in my case in about 1978. On passing I was informed by the schoolie that I was now in the top 2% of the population for education.
The GCSE was brought in to combine two examinations GCE and CSE. In the days of CSEs a pass at grade A equated to a pass at GCE grade C (the minimum standard for a GCE to be recognised) The GCSE was a retrograde step and degraded the GCE much in the same way that many degree courses have been introduced which do nothing but put the percipient into debt. To leave school without any GCSEs in this day and age normally shows an extremely low level of education.
I would advise anyone thinking of entering any of the services who does not have Maths and English at GCSE level C or above to enroll at their local education establishment.
As for the Handler branch I agree with you 100% of all the branches in the Fleet Air Arm Handlers and Armourers were the most tightly knit.

SpeedBall

Midshipman
Yea, I totally take your point Slim and Its something I hope wont stop my application being successful

However, without wanting to 'blow my own trumpet' kind of thing, my guess is I have the aptitude required for RN pilot entry (done civilian pilot aptitude tests, military standard being slightly higher but it gives a rough indication of aptitude) so should be ok with aircraft handler tests.

I agree it shows a lack of academic ability and with 99% of applicants yeah it probably does, but when I explain my situation they may look at my application in a different light. (for the record, I was bullied at school, left early)

Recently I have been looking into doing GCSE's distance learning. I have 'plans' you could say to train as a civilian airline pilot at some point, but this ofcourse requires money and qualifications.
I cant think of anything better than spending some time in the forces, building my personality and qualifications. Might not be a life long career plan but something id like to expirience so...

slim

War Hero
SpeedBall said:
Yea, I totally take your point Slim and Its something I hope wont stop my application being successful

However, without wanting to 'blow my own trumpet' kind of thing, my guess is I have the aptitude required for RN pilot entry (done civilian pilot aptitude tests, military standard being slightly higher but it gives a rough indication of aptitude) so should be ok with aircraft handler tests.

I agree it shows a lack of academic ability and with 99% of applicants yeah it probably does, but when I explain my situation they may look at my application in a different light. (for the record, I was bullied at school, left early)

Recently I have been looking into doing GCSE's distance learning. I have 'plans' you could say to train as a civilian airline pilot at some point, but this ofcourse requires money and qualifications.
I cant think of anything better than spending some time in the forces, building my personality and qualifications. Might not be a life long career plan but something id like to expirience so...

Aptitude is different from intelligence. Just because you have good coordination skills does not mean that you will become a pilot. Its not just a question of flying the aircraft, can you work out the weight and moment (mathematics required), the maximum payload, and work out the course required to get from A to B via C.?Can you read (English required) and understand the pilots notes, the aircraft manuals etc. Can you enter aircraft defects into the A700 in a manner which can be understood by the maintainers?
Without educational ability you may as well apply for a shelf stacking job at your nearest supermarket.
Why do you want distant learning, the most difficult way of getting your qualifications (ask anyone who achieved their degree with the OU). There are classes held all over the country to help people in your situation.
One thing I noticed was that you thought because you have passed civilian pilot aptitude tests this will help with aircraft handling. Aircraft handlers do not fly the aircraft, they move it on the ground.
If you cannot pass the naval entry tests no leeway will be given for the fact that you left school because of bullying.
take a trip to your local further education establishment and start getting your qualifications ASAP

SpeedBall

Midshipman
I didn't say that.
Having the aptitude to pass the civilian test I think proves the amount of aptitude and intelligence required. Its not just co-ordination, its mathematics, physics, english etc all those various skills required.

I completed the RAF tests with relative ease, I very much doubt the navy test for aircraft handler will be out of my league.

As for the distance learning pun,

1) There are no evening classes around my area, nearest is 50 miles away.
2) Distance learning is fine, I have taught myself before and I will and can do it again, I see no problem with it to be honest... "If it works, don't fix it" ;)

SpeedBall

Midshipman
Yeah thanks,

I have been working with the airline Jet2 for quite a while so spoke to a few of our pilots, your right, you really need at least 5 GCSE's A-C and the licence to gain employment. But thats something I am working on and will get there over time.

Could never fly in the military, unfortunately I dont have the required vision standards.