Fleet Air Arm in Trinidad during WW2

Hi,
I have a letter unearthed recently from Jose Clarke written to my mother recently deceased.
He was CPO(A) FX76370. Letter was from PIARCO Trinidad dated May13 1945. Any Interest?
I was intrigued by the first name similarity and other coincidental information, especially as he knew my mother in Cornwall, to which you have referred.
If you prefer you can email me on [email protected].
Regards

sammoda82

My father, John Sampson, was at HMS Goshawk for two years until 1943
He is now 92 and lives with us in the UK!
If asked he talks a little about his time there.
He was the engineer in charge of servicing the planes for 750 squadron which trained navigators. They were very old Albatross planes - twin winged.
In this picture he is at the top right

750Sqn_Goshawk.jpg

If anyone has any questions I can ask him - though his memory is not so good these days

Andrew Sampson

RonsSon

My father Ron Thorne joined up to the navy in 1939 and went into the Fleet Air Arm and trained as an engineer at Goshawk, details are vague, I know he spent most of the war in Trinidad while working on many aircraft which included a Spitfire so he learned about the Merlin engine. He came back to England in 1943, after which for some reason transferred to the RAF and finished the war as a Mosquito engineer. As this was designed by De Havilland he went on after the war to work for them and so started a career as Flight Engineer with various small airlines until retirement at age 65 from British Airways. He passed away in 2017 aged 101. It's always been some mystery to me what exactly went on in Trinidad, would like to find out more about Goshawk, where to look?

Hi,
My husband’s uncle, Robert Frederick Bird, served in the Fleet Air Arm during WWII. His brother mentions in his diary that in Dec 1944 ‘Bob’ is in Trinidad. Would this have been on HMS Goshawk? After the war Bob Bird stayed in the navy as an instructor until the 1960s I believe. By then he was a Lieutenant-Commander but I don’t know at which point he gained that rank.

D

Deleted 94495

Hi,
My husband’s uncle, Robert Frederick Bird, served in the Fleet Air Arm during WWII. His brother mentions in his diary that in Dec 1944 ‘Bob’ is in Trinidad. Would this have been on HMS Goshawk? After the war Bob Bird stayed in the navy as an instructor until the 1960s I believe. By then he was a Lieutenant-Commander but I don’t know at which point he gained that rank.
There is an Instructor Lt Cmd RA Bird listed 3/7/1954 with death 18/3/1995. He is listed at HMS Pembroke, Chatham

D

Deleted 94495

Thank you, sounds like him, I believe he was at HMS Pembroke at one time, wonder why the incorrect second initial.
Sorry that should be RF Bird.
It seems as if he went to Trinidad at wars end 1945/46ish? You could have a look on line for Navy Lists from that time and see if you can find him.

D

Deleted 94495

Sorry that should be RF Bird.
It seems as if he went to Trinidad at wars end 1945/46ish? You could have a look on line for Navy Lists from that time and see if you can find him. There is a I S/Lt RF Bird listed in 1946 he could have made Lt.Cmd by 1954. If he served in Trinidad Tobago as an Instructor it could have been in any of the Naval establishments from CinC America and WI The Dockyard or Malabar or Goshawk.. If he moved about,finding him will be difficult.

That definitely is him. He prob left the navy early 1960s, my husband remembers him visiting in 1960 and being in uniform. He is recorded in his brother’s diary as being in Trinidad December 1944.

Latest Threads