Fleet Air Arm chances?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by onlinebacon, Jan 9, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I used to post on this site quite a lot, I've wanted to become an officer for quite a long time and since I last posted here (about 3 years ago?) I've nearly finished uni, got myself a lot fitter and done quite a few extra curricular things.

However, a lot has changed regarding recruitment, especially for the Fleet Air Arm with the disbandment of Harrier and the rest so I just had a quick question.

Does anyone have any idea how recruitment is progressing for people that apply for the Fleet Air Arm at the minute? Are people being put on hold/axed like the RAF or is recruitment still in play?

My aim if not FAA was to become a Warfare Officer, I'm aware that this is a very highly subscribed choice but I'm up for a challenge.

Cheers

2. We are still recruiting Pilots, Observers and ATCOs. It will be very competitive, even more so than Warfare (which is all of a sudden oversubscribed). The numbers entering service this year will be fairly small, but the tap is on! If you're in your last year at Uni, get in to the AFCO now and get started with the process - if Aircrew does work out, you could fall back on Warfare, but certainly before the end of the academic year you should know if its join got be feasible and what time scale is involved.

3. Cheers mate, I plan on heading to the AFCO after exam season so a week and a half or so away, hopefully get my fitness completely squared away by the time I get around to my PJFT and that.

Cheers for the info.

4. I've recently done my PJFT and as long as you aren't sedentary you shouldn't really struggle with it. I just picked a speed for the treadmill that was comfortably under the required time, and it was done with in no time.

Make sure your BMI is good though, because my medical said I was borderline despite being far from overweight at the time as BMI can be such a poor measure.

5. A treadmill test is no substitute for the real thing.....
    Unless you're a hulking great rugby forward playing professionally, the bmi is not a bad indicator of the unfit and/or overweight.

6. TB - it doesn't take into account bone structure. I did a diving acquaint at BRNC a few years ago and unfortunately my bone density made it impossible for me to do a tumble underwater without hitting the bottom of the pool.

EDIT: I should add that the doctor who did my medical actually told me I wasn't overweight despite me being borderline on the RNs BMI requirements but he said that it is their rules and if I want to make sure I will be okay he said losing a stone would keep me well within the requirements. I've actually lost more than that but it's mainly due to something I have removed from my diet for dental reasons.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  11. However, Pusser still obviously thinks that BMI is a worthwhile indicator of "health & fitness" to use for initial medicals, and imposes a tighter limit on Aircrew candidates than other mortals.
    As a wise old aviator who is still subject to an annual overall by the duty Doc, a chap still gets comments on the size of his waistline v weight, despite being able to beat the U25 male 2.4Km time by some way!!

12. I'm not looking to go aircrew. Also I had a 33in waist whilst being borderline.