Fleet Air Arm Careers

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by Sierra_Hotel, Feb 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All,
    Another Newbie here. :neutral:
    I am looking at joing the Fleet Air Arm.
    I am still unsure as to whether I will fit the perameters, being already 6'1" and growing. I know this could be too big for jets, but would this stop me flying helicopters? Ideally I would like to fly whirlybirds, although I understand this cannot be guarenteed (unless I join the Army air corps, but lets not go there).
    I am planning to join after I have been to university doing Aeronautical Engineering, so are there any benefits for graduate pilots as in the other services?
    Apologies if this question has already been asked lots.
    Thanks very much
    SH :smile:

2. With an aeronautical engineering degree you would be wasted as a pilot though I do see the attractions. many moons ago(probably before you were born) the FAA did have maintenance test pilots. these were Air Engineering Officers who were also pilots. Whether this route is still available or not I don't know.

3. I have thought about this, but Air Engineer Officers seem to be desk officers. I only wish to do an Aero degree so that in the event that it is not possible to get into the Pilot side of the aviation industry I still have somewhere to go as it were.
    SH

4. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Whilst I agree with Slim that anyone with an Engineering Degree would be wasted as a pilot, don't count it out, we do still have Maintenance Test Pilots although few and far between. Your height is not as much of an issue as you think, the current CO of 800 NAS (or Naval Strike Wing as it's now known-Harrier GR7/9 Sqdn) is about 6'3". Usual advice really, go to the careers office and ask, they probably won't know about test pilots and such but will try and recruit you as a submariner, once you tell them to ram it where the sun don't shine ask them if they could arrange a visit to one of the Naval Air Stations where you could actually speak to a pilot and an AEO.

5. Would anyone be able to tell me what an EngO is required to do? From what I'm told the RAF equivilent is entirely a desk job.
    Difficult situation with the AFCO, as it is run by an RAF officer, who I was previously seeing about RAF pilot entry.
    Also, are Marine pilots taken from the FAA or RM officer entry.
    SH

6. An AEO. Back in te datk ages we did everthing buy flying.

7. Sulzer, did your command of the Engish language prevent you from being a Pilot?

8. yes there sill are oppertunities to become an MTP, ie becoming an Air Engineering Officer (AEO) the opt for flying duties, you will have to do at least one full tour as a pilot on front line then if numbers allow you will then go pn the the MTP of your chossen aircraft type

9. HtP wrote: Sulzer, did your command of the Engish language prevent you from being a Pilot?

No! A dark room and and fading eyesight let that garbage through (the spelling not the comment). I never had the wish tio be a Pilot although I did quite a lot of flying in helicopters in various capacities, including recording data on manintenance flights. As well as MTPs we had pilots who did a short course on test flying for testing post major maintenance work when embarked

10. wat are the eyesight standards like?

11. Not as high as the English standards :smile:

12. SH,

I'm going to be contraversial for a change! I think that you are correct to do an Aero Degree and I don't understand why people think it's no use as a pilot! Pilots don't just need to understand how to fly they also need to understand how the aircraft flies and how the mechanical/ hydraulic/ electrical systems work for example. An Aero degree would give you a foundation of understanding that will help you learn and understand the aircraft and the logic behind your emergency drill cards etc.

If it all goes tits on the flying front at least you have a degree to fall back on and by that stage you may chose to be an AEO. AEOs are roughly the same in the RAF and FAA, with similar career paths; however, check out news on the future of the RN AEO branch for promotion issues. Don't ask an FAA/RAF pilot about being an AEO though as they won't be able to tell you much! In my bias opinion if you go for AEO you're better off in the RAF, more aircraft, more opportunities etc.

But what do I know, I'm a crab!

13. Crab or not your posting contains words of wisdom.
    However an aeronautical engineering degree to be of any use in the future requires to be reinforced by working within an engineering environment. if after 10 years as a pilot he decides to return to engineering it will be difficult without any practical experience. As both an AEO and a Maintenance test pilot he would have the best of both worlds.

14. Whilst I would agree with Slim that for an engineering degree to remain valid one has to use it in a proper environment, if you are doing a degree and Aero Engineering is what you fancy it would be far better to do that even if media studies was all you needed to be a pilot. Being taught to think like an engineer is no bad thing what ever you end up doing

15. Sorry Peter have to disagree with you on this one. If someone is doing a degree it should be a worthwhile degree. Too many youngsters are going to university, taking loans and getting into debt only to end up with a degree that very few employers want. If SH has the aptitude to study engineering to degree level then he should do it. I think that my attitude to education is pretty well known by now. Oh how I wish that the old style apprenticeships were still available. :smile:
    Many are now claiming payments for miss sold endownment mortgages. i believe many students in the future may have cause to claim for miss-sold degrees :evil:

16. Slim,

Agreed! I think employers consider a degree current for only 3/4 years unless 'used'. It is arguable however, how 'used' a degree is by AEOs working mainly with old technology in largely man management roles. Opportunities for working at the forefront of technology in development/ procurement roles are, in my experience, rare, making AEOs more aligned to Incorporated rather than Chartered Engineer status in the future. Anyway, I digress...

Did I just agree with a Matelot?

17. However, there is nothing worse than a pilot telling an engineer EXACTLY what is wrong with the aircraft, unless he is an MTP. :lol:

18. Agreed AEOs do spend a lot of their time in the office when it comes to deciding whether an aircraft is fit to fly after a difficult engineering problem has been rectified it is the AEO who has the final say and often his signature on the paperwork.
    As for old technology Engines are modern and airframes are airframes. I still stand by my original suggestion that as an MTP (flying engineer) a man has the best of all worlds. :smile: