Flat feet

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Gollum, May 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. After recently finding out to my surprise that my feet are slightly flat, I have been told by the careers office that this can be a bar to entry.

Has anyone here been through the medical with flat feet?

My missus is an ex MA and said that it probably won't be a problem as they're not drastically flat, although I am a bit worried as to whether I'll pass it or not.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Gollum

2. get yourself down to a podiatrist who can make some corrective insoles, or if they think it will be helpful you could go under the knife to tighten up the muscles ( surgery I recently watched during work placement and didn't seem to bad)

http://www.feetforlife.org/cgi-site/chiropodist.cgi

3. On the bright side Gollum - there's always the circus!!

Seriously though - I hope it works out for you. Good luck.

SF

4. Shit 8O

Er, no, I passed the medical. Maybe it's only if they're really bad and your knees get all bendy and such? :wink:

Let us know how it goes!

5. Actually, what is the medical problem with flat feet?

The reason I ask is because my feet used to be a little bit on the flat side, and I never had any problems walking, running or standing. Used to do some foot exercises to tighten the muscles up and pull the arches into something more of a curve, but there's been no real difference in the way that I walk, run or stand.

If a doctory-nursey-type person (or even anybody who knows the answer) would like to enlighten me, I would be very much obliged.

Cheers!

6. G'day Gollum.

In the dark old days it used to be a no, no, if you had flat feet and back in the Days of N/S you would obviously fail your medical.That was the year before they had the last supper.lol.

However, on the bright side, I almost never ever noticed any-one, who had been a junior sailor from "G" or "V" ever getting thrown out because of it. We had one junior dismissed by reason of his feet, but he was really noticeable in that he could hardly walk on the upper deck in a calm sea, on a deck with a wee bit of movement then he was a liability to every-one around. Juniors had a better chance of slipping through on medical grounds, than adult entry.

Keep your fingers crossed mate, and do as some-one else suggested and see a chiropodist to get their help, before you go for your medical.

pingbosun

7. Flat feet are a common condition.

When flat feet persist, the majority are considered variations of normal. Most feet are flexible and an arch appears when the person stands on his or her toes. Stiff, inflexible, or painful flat feet may be associated with other conditions and require attention.

Painful flat feet in children may be caused by a condition called tarsal coalition. In tarsal coalition, two or more of the bones in the foot fuse together, limiting motion and often leading to a flat foot.

Most flat feet do not cause pain or other problems. Flat feet may be associated with pronation, a leaning inward of the ankle bones toward the center line. Shoes of children who pronate, when placed side by side, will lean toward each other (after they have been worn long enough for the foot position to remodel their shape).

Foot pain, ankle pain, or lower leg pain (especially in children) may be a result of flat feet and should be evaluated by a health care provider.

8. Gollum, I think I responded to your post a few months back regarding your shin splints. One of the best way to avoid shin splints, in flat-footed people, is to get orthotics. I understand that you are doing this, which is good. A LOT of people are flat-footed. It is very common. And more importantly, it is RARELY caused by anything abnormal or that can not be treated. Whomping Willows posts are spot on. I would be more concerned with avoiding getting shin splints again as this will have a direct result on your training. Being flat-footed will not intervere with your training with correct orthotics. Also, take a big deep breath about your medical. The more nervous and wound up you are, the harder it will be for the practitioner to assess you. Good Luck mate!!

9. Thanks to everyone who responded, I think I'm just working myself up over nothing.........I'll sleep easier tonight!

Peter I think the reason having flat feet could be a bar, is because it can lead to problems with the back in later life due to running, although don't quote me on that.

Thanks again.

Gollum

10. Run....
    We don't run in the RN

Maybe surrender though thats a different thread..

11. :D :D