FLASH - Half Fleet to be Mothballed

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Always_a_Civvy, Jan 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It was reported a few minutes ago on BBC Newsnight that according to the Daily Telegraph, half the Fleet is to be mothballed to save money!
  2. which half?
  3. *slumps*

Well, I've got a dingy, but someone will have to provide a pump...
  4. It was in the Times last week that all the BIII T22s and the remaining BII T42s are going into "Extended readiness" (read "mothballs to pay for the RAF's 5 * hotels"). We are a truly truly bankrupt organisation, working for spin-obsessed a***holes.

What will be the reaction of the Navy Board to this? Mass resignation? Or a shrug and a sigh, like the rest of us? Will the last British matelot please turn the lights off when he leaves.
  5. The half we've not sold off to the Mullahs yet!
  6. Now, as has been pointed out before, the RN has been in tight spots budget wise in the past, but is this something the surface fleet can ever conceivably recover from?

What government or current political party is seriously going to advocate increasing defence spending? It doesn't win votes any more, so I'm guessing none. I really do think this is the end for the Armed Forces as we know them and I say that with no sense of drama and great, heart-aching sadness.
  7. There is a leading article in today's Daily Telegraph - 4 x Type 22 and two type 42s to be mothballed............
  8. Take advantage of your education options and look to the future as a civvy. The ship is sinking, a once proud navy reduced to little more than a token force. Pathetic and sad. They will only learn when it is too late.
  9. Face it, its been "too late" for quite a while now.
    I'm only holding on for my pension now, and who could blame me?
  10. Fast approaching bucket kicking time I can only look upon this latest news with sadness and think that todays and any future Sailors will not enjoy the life I had.

With bases in Plymouth, Portsmouth, Chatham, Rothsyth, Faslane, Londonderry, Halifax NS, Sydney, Singapore, Trincomalee, Aden, Malta Gibraltar and Simmonstown. Plus many other facilities scattered around the world. Fleets in home and Far East waters, together with squadrons in the Med. South Atlantic, West Indies it really was "Join the Navy and see the World".

As sailors we we really were the blessed generation.

11. We are in great danger of ending up like the Israeli's, ie: take a great war winning machine. Then spend all your time and resouces fighting occupation war. Then try to fight a real war. Then get your ass kicked.
  12. Trouble is that the RN has done a P155 poor job of convincing the politicians, the treasury and the general population of the utility of the Navy at a time when we are fighting 2 major land campaigns. I also understand that the current hierarchy dismissed the opportunity to take over the afloat functions of the Customes & Excise and refused to make a case for the RN to take over responsibility for all coastal marine constabulary functions, arguing that this did not fit with the requirement to be a blue water navy and project power abroad. Hmmm, well I'm afraid that if we had coastal patrol and constabulary functions - and could deliver a recognised maritime picture for the UKs coastal waters - we may at least be able to make a case that we had a role to play in the face of the (perceived) terrorist threat and could maintain a public profile that, at the moment, may be seen as being more relevant than Type 45s to the man in the street. Having such a profile may even make the case for the T45 etc a bit easier.
  13. The difference between the RN and a costguard is that a coastguard actually has ships...

I know:

Move submarines to the Royal Artillery (they are mainly used to through Tommahawks anyway.)

Move the Junglies to the Army Air Corp.

Move Harriers to the RAF.

Move frigates and destroyers to the cavalry (they are lumps of metal with a gun on front).

Move aircraft carriers (if we have any) to the RFAs.

Move Ocean, Albion Bulwark ot the Royal Logistic Corp (they already operate a handful of landing craft).

Move minehunters, Clydes etc to the coastguard.

Train officers at Sandhurst, and ratings at Army equivalents to Raleigh.

Then resign our seat as a permanent member of the UN security council.

Seriously, the governemnt must make a statement in the Commons on the future of the RN. The present cuts would be bad enough if they were due to a well thought out position, but awful damage is being done because of shortsighted financial c*ckups by the government. Confidence needs to be restored now. But then again, who would believe what this government says anyway. If the Tories were to make such a commitment then they would get a lot of votes, I would even vote for them again.
  14. Well said Nutty, I too was in at a time when most of these bases were there, at least some of us will have good memories.
  15. This comes as no surprise and has been happening for many years. Next thing we will have is a couple of ships rented from Vospers that will allow the training of the coastal defense force.

TO ALL THE NEWBIES ON RR wake up and smell the coffee the Navy you are thinking of joining is NOT repeat NOT what is discussed here on RR or what you have heard about from dad's, grandads and ships cats etc.

We all know it from the good days when it was a Navy
  16. Surely the management chain ( fleet and logisics) of these ships can be mothballed, just job transfer the MOD civvies to the other end of the country and they will leave. Oh no thats the plan for RN personnel.
  17. (Move the Junglies to the Army Air Corp.)

As long as my arse points down i'd never become part of the Hairy Arm Corp!! However, once the RAF takes the Apache from them there won't be any need for the AAC either!
  18. Why give it to the RAF what about 847. Think about the 5 star hotels required for accomodation.
  19. The RNR is still recruiting!

Weekends and 2 weeks Navy a year anyone? I'll reserve drill nights for JPA drips and drinking!

Does this mean the run ashore will be no more? No ships, no run ashore!

Seriously, our government, the whole lot MPs, Lords, civil service is morally bankrupt and can't see beyond their own pay and conditions and fat pensions. Trouble is, soon won't have an Army, Navy or Air Force capable of staging a coup!

I'll turn out the light shall I?
  20. Dont forget to put the cat out and shut the dockyard gate :lol: