Flagship world takeover continues

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by 5dits, Sep 26, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Linky

Flagship marchs on.

2. So instead of instructional posts being held by serving personnel, they're now being held (by and large) by ex-service personnel at higher salaries.

Fcuk-up inbound: Flagship goes bust/is bought out by a foreign firm. Where does that leave the RN training pipeline in the brave new lean-manned navy which can't spare anyone to take over such roles?

3. Don't know exactly what is happening at Cosford, but at Sultan, the instructors are directly employed by the MoD. The flagship staff are there in support roles like building managers, administration etc. The only place I've come into contact with Flagship in the training environment is on ISSC, where they are the safety wardens on the fire grounds.

If flagship ever goes bust or is bought out, we'll get what we always get when there is a new contractor:

The same people in a new uniform. (Thought we'd finally seen the back of the miserable galley rats when Sodexho were brought in, Doh!)

4. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

At Colingrad two years ago in the Comms area Flagship employed a number of the instructors and were looking to broaden their role by taking over all the POs billets too (=> more frequent duties for remaining RN personnel).

Picking up on Dunker's financial comment - I don't think Flagship staff are paid more - Flagship used to assume that their staff had a pension and modified their payscales accordingly; yes the staff may have taken home more money than previously, but Flagship certainly weren't paying for it all.

edited for mong...er special needs... spooling

5. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Dunkers,
    "So instead of instructional posts being held by serving personnel, they're now being held (by and large) by ex-service personnel at higher salaries."
    Actually mate I believe flagship staff are very low paid. All the matelots I know who went to Flagship were earning less with salary and their pension than they were when serving.

6. Add to pay the pension contributions, the health and benefits that servicemen get that contractors pay for, and the cost per instructor comes down if it is outsourced. You don't think that the financial business case will have been scrutinized before the deal was signed?

7. tiddlyoggy

OSLO,
    I'm not suggesting or assuming anything about the business case. Merely stating that blokes I know who have worked for Flagship weren't well paid. In fact I can't think of anyone I know who stayed with them, for that very reason.

8. My point, tiddly, was aimed at Dunkers.

9. I stand corrected, and yes that makes sense. The MoD sees that it's cheaper, so to hell with any reasons why outsourcing the instructors might not be a good idea, like FlagWagger pointed out, more workload = more people signing off = worsening manpower shortage.
    Surely you need some slack in the system somewhere.

Flagship's assumption of a Service pension is a bit underhand but no doubt that has been done to death elsewhere.

10. tiddlyoggy

OSLO,
    Sorry, I was a little confused as to why you were pointing that out to me!
    Dunkers:"Flagship's assumption of a Service pension is a bit underhand but no doubt that has been done to death elsewhere." Absolutely mate! Throughout Plymouth area for starters.

11. The world take over has been quietly happening for quite sometime. Flagship are now part of the VT Education and Skills group. This is the largest education and training company in the UK. They provide a wide range of support services to schools, organisations and central and local government.

Regards
    IDOITDEEPER

12. It's getting to be a common phenomenon. Across the pond Lockheed Martin have their fingers in lots of non-defence related pies.

13. VT already run the training at the School of Electrical and Mechanical Enginering (SEME) Bordon Hants for the Corps of Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (REME), this is where RM technical personell are also trained.

The majority of them are all ex Service personnel, but the lack of Uniforms within the training sheds is a sad loss.

14. So why is VT Flagship taking over the contract at Cosford when it is planned to move to St Athan as part of the Metrix bid?

Im confused.