Flag Officers' shoulder boards

Discussion in 'History' started by Seaweed, Sep 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Some time in the last forty years someone changed the rules on Flag Officers' shoulder boards so that nowadays they bear the same number of stars as their car plates, two for rear admiral etc. When did this happen please?

.. bring back ice cream suits ..

2. I first saw these epaulettes in 1986 as a sprog, so it must have been before then.

Edited to add: I looked it up on Wikipedia and apparently they've been used for quite a while.

Wiki Link

Although the usual Wikipedia disclaimer applies - ie it may be a load of bollocks.

3. I believe that stars were introduced for the shoulder boards of RN Rear Admirals and above some time befores 2001 to make their rank more obvious in a joint/combined service environment (see DCI(JS) 125/2001). CINCFLEET even wore stars on the collar of his dessies during a recent visit to the Gulf (link).

4. I think its more or less a NATO standard now. Every big wig i saw in kaf and bastion from all the services and all the nations seemed to have there stars on there collar.

5. On a slight meander ......
    it was a little confusing for the Forces in Saudi Arabia during GW1, as the Saudi Air Force officers wore stars from 1st Lt up to Captain - quite a giggle seeing coalition personnel saluting what they thought were Generals .. :lol:

6. Seaweed

Sorry, chaps, I should have expressed myself better. The admirals' shoulder straps in the 60s certainly conformed to this (pre-war) illustration in which each rank of admiral had one star less than he has today.

[​IMG]

I can see why this was changed but the qn is when? I am astern of station on this one.

7. They were changed in 2001 to make it easier for the other services and NATO nations to recognise the ranks.

8. Seaweed

Thanks Freddy, I'm only nine years adrift then which is pretty sharp for me.

9. we had a set of admiral boards on the wall in 6H po's mess on a flat-top (mid to late [email protected])(forget which one - they are all the same to me - shite).
    anyway one of our older PO's decides to wear them for a flight deck red sea rig barbecue. young sailor asks "admiral" a question about "stuff". young sailor runs off deck after being told to f*ck off or get keel-hauled by pi**ed admiral

10. Again; sorry to bump another old thread, but the shoulderboards changed in 2004, so they were similar to their US (and other) equivalents, to reduce confusion, apparently.