Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fixed wing training

buggerit84

Lantern Swinger
When I was at my AIB a couple of weeks ago, one of the chaps on my board (who's currently UAS, but he is a nice guy really!) told me something interesting and I was wondering if it's true.

To pass for fixed wing/fast jet training you need an average grade of 4 out of 6, but for single seaters, ie harriers, you need a grade of 5. Apparently if an RN pilot gets 4 on hawks so still qualifies for fixed wing but not single seaters, they're sent off to the crabs to fly tonkas for a couple of years and then goes back to see if they can get a 5. Is this true or is he yanking my crank?

Bisley

War Hero
Dont worry the way maritime aviation is going the crabs will have all the fixed wing and the FAA will be long gone. :money:

Compulsory euthanasia of the RAF is called for i say :thumright:

buggerit84

Lantern Swinger
From what I've heard though crabs don't like moving runways and not having their feet on terra firma when out of the cockpit so hopefully not! Besides, everyone knows navy pilots are better! :p

slim

War Hero
buggerit84 said:
From what I've heard though crabs don't like moving runways and not having their feet on terra firma when out of the cockpit so hopefully not! Besides, everyone knows navy pilots are better! :p

You were obviously not serving on Buccaneers in the 70s. We had many crab pilots and navigators on 809 squadron, no worse or better than their RN equivalents.

They are looking for single seat recommend from the word go, they won't send you fixed wing if you are just making the grade at a crab level. Roughly, 12 go fixed wing a year and about 5 will make it all the way to front line. It used to be true about the tonkas a few years ago but they have stopped doing it as we (RN) had to buy the places with the crabs. A few people did it but it wasn't totally succesful.

buggerit84

Lantern Swinger
Thanks, did think it a little odd that you are sent off to improve on single seaters by flying 2 seaters...... Besides, I've met RAF fast jet pilots, ghastly bunch for the most part!

How do you tell if there's a tornado pilot in the room? :p

scouse

War Hero
:whew:
buggerit84 said:
Thanks, did think it a little odd that you are sent off to improve on single seaters by flying 2 seaters...... Besides, I've met RAF fast jet pilots, ghastly bunch for the most part! :thumright: Was so at Lossiemouth many moons ago Hunter T8s then Buccs. Crabs and FAA Pilots :w00t: :thumright: Ps we didnt call them fast jet pilots then!!!!! just Jockeys :thumright:

flynavy

Lantern Swinger
Some harrier pilots (navy) who fail the course are sent on to other squadrons of fixed wing jets -so it does happen

WhizzbangDai

War Hero
According to Navy bumf, and the guys I know who've been in the pipeline, the piltos that don't make the fast jet grade get sent back to rotary as opposed to losing a pilot from the RN stream?

cupoftea

Lantern Swinger
WhizzbangDai said:
According to Navy bumf, and the guys I know who've been in the pipeline, the piltos that don't make the fast jet grade get sent back to rotary as opposed to losing a pilot from the RN stream?

Saw that on the site as well. How does it work? Do you have to do some pestering after flying rotary for a while (how long?) or are you talent spotted and suggested for training?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Fixed wing pilot training The Fleet Air Arm 13
trelawney126 QE Carrier Trials negative fixed Wing The Gash Barge 2
scouse FAA faces a 4year gap in AEW and still not fixed wing The Fleet Air Arm 24
soleil FAA Museum: "New Exhibition Marks The Centenary Of Fixed Wing Naval Aviation" The Fleet Air Arm 2
D Whats going to happen everyone who worked fixed wing The Fleet Air Arm 10
soleil BAE Bids To Be Fixed Wing Aircraft Service Provider For MFTS The Fleet Air Arm 1
H NAVY FIXED WING The Fleet Air Arm 17
C Fixed wing or rotary The Fleet Air Arm 29
soleil Fly Navy 100: Fixed Wing Dinner The Fleet Air Arm 5
slim Fixed Wing dinner 31st October 2009 The Fleet Air Arm 0
rikbones Rotary vs Fixed wing Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
scouse How do they do that? Fixed wing refuelling Helos The Fleet Air Arm 8
S The Future of Naval Fixed-Wing Capability The Fleet Air Arm 20
P Falklands 25 Years - No RN Fixed Wing The Fleet Air Arm 52
MoD_RSS Private healthcare provider fixed prices with consultants MoD News 0
N Fixed penalty notice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
S Fixed penalty and Security Clearance Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
G Medical - Fixed retainer Health & Fitness 2
soleil The Register: "Duff French Missiles For RN Finally Fixed" The Fleet 4
L Forces fixed rate of Interest? UPO 5
Good_CO Site fixed Site Issues 6
chockhead819 Fixed Penalty Notices: Fraudulent coercion of voluntary paym Current Affairs 0
S aircraft fixed&rotary and theories of flight The Fleet Air Arm 22
T Was the Champions League Draw Fixed??? Current Affairs 1
MoD_RSS Priti Patel proscribes right-wing terrorist group MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government takes action to proscribe right-wing terrorist groups MoD News 0
BFRS Do you have fast jet or large rotary wing experience? The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
T US Right Wing think tank on NATO Maritime Power Current Affairs 2
MoD_RSS News story: 906 Expeditionary Air Wing stands up in the United Arab Emirates MoD News 0
soleil Navy News Naval Strike Wing find it's good to be back on Ark The Fleet Air Arm 9
Holidays4Heroes NAVAL STRIKE WING FLY NAVY 100 - Signed framed print Diamond Lil's 24
flynavy Navy Strike Wing do Rainbow The Fleet Air Arm 4
chockhead819 Naval Strike Wing The Fleet 6
KATWEEZIL NAVAL STRIKE WING The Fleet Air Arm 3
bigbaddog F-15 (One-Wing Wonder) Diamond Lil's 37
bitter_and_twisted Naval Strike Wing The Fleet Air Arm 24
MoD_RSS Ministry of Defence Police clamp down on illegal activity and keep the training estate safe in the south east MoD News 0
P Pipeline Training RFA 2
K Please help with Interview and Training information Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
MoD_RSS Training fund launched to help vets prepare for 1 January 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Major expansion of post-18 education and training to level up and prepare workers for post-COVID economy MoD News 0
S RFA Training Pipeline RFA 11
MoD_RSS Completion of training facility at RAF Waddington MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Joint approach to training gets international recognition MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil/crime news: launch of ‘help us say yes’ online training MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Training for Security Control Room Operators in Responding to Terrorist Incidents – We would like your views MoD News 0
soleil P. News: "HMS Queen Elizabeth Leaves Portsmouth For Training With US Marines F-35" The Fleet 8
N HMS Sultan Simulator training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
P Training leave Joining the Royal Navy 8
B Can I wear athletic tape during Royal Marine Commando training ? Joining the Royal Navy 7