Fitness/training/diet etc

Discussion in 'RFA' started by geekboy, May 17, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys, I have recently applied for communications apprentice, I have found quite a bit of info on these forums really useful so thanks to all who contribute.

I have some questions about keeping in shape while in the RFA, I have read that most ships have gyms and wondered what the standards are like? Are there any casual bodybuilders or gym users that can tell me how they find life in the RFA in regards to training and also nutrition, is there a variety of food or are your meals chosen for you?

Im not some mirror hogging pretty boy but I enjoy keeping my fitness up and take my diet seriously (most days).

Thanks in advance for any replies.
  2. It's fine.

Gyms are mixed equipment, from treadmills, cycles, rowers, to dumbells, benches, bands and various other stuff. Think of any establishment that isn't a gym but has a "gym room" - that sort of set up. It ranges from ship to ship.

The condition can be - er - mixed, as salt water doesn't mix with metal particularity well, but nothing unusable. Also, believe me you've not worked out until you've tried it in 45c heat.

Meals are of the hot/cold buffet variety, normally lots of salads/veg so it isn't hard to eat healthy. It is harder to avoid the temping dessert trays at the end of the counter, but that's a different matter.

Most of the ships abroad have marines onboard, so you won't be on your lonesome as far as wanting to work out goes, and all jokes aside there's normally a few RFA's who are regular gym goers.

Also, all the major training establishments have first class facilities.

A couple of the local bases/Seaman's missions also have gyms to hand (such as the PeX as Bahrain, or the Misson at Dubai) which aren't bad either.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Thanks for the reply that all sounds promising, I was worried but seems I'll have no excuses to let it slip.

Now.... About these dessert trays?!?
  4. Did someone mention 'sweeties' ...??
  5. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

PeX? FFS, the abbreviation is PX and the big American shop in Bahrain selling cheap stuff to service personnel ( watch the most Civilian of Civvies in the RFA suddenly become Navy) is a Navy Exchange, not a Post Exchange which is a US Army thing.

Carry on.
  6. So does that mean its an NX then Seadog :)
  7. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

I see your point you're making OSc.
    I'll stop being a smart arse ..... for a day.
  8. Crikey I wasn't expecting that from you SD ! Although use of the word Pe X did make I laugh. Takes us old sweats to show these young 'uns the right way.