Fitness Test

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by JC91, May 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, I need to book my fitness test within the next 7 days, and I am not the fittest person in the world, has anyone got any advice to quicken up my pace or just to get me prepped up for it.

Also I've been told that becuase its on a tread mill its much easier than say running down the street, is that true?

Cheers

JC :thumright:

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Usually at interview, or sometimes before, you are given the fre pre-joining fitness programme booklet , which has an eight week breakdown of how to prepare to start phase one training.

Once you have thev interview and pass the medical you are given a week to book the PJFT and 4 weeks to actually take the test. As you have around 4 weeks, the advice is simply follow the "Pre Joining Fitness Programme" booklet religiously, it's very good & will fully prepare you in 4 weeks to pass the PJFT.

In addition the contract is now with "Fitness First". The company should give you three free gym passes to allow you to practice on their treadmills before you actually take the PJFT. Interestingly they keep "forgetting" to tell you this when you book the PJFT.

Good luck.

3. ooo i never knew about the free gym passes either !
    I think most people would say its easier to run on the road rather than a treadmill ... :thumright:

4. Ninja_Stoker

It's just a matter of technique. Treadmill runs are constant gradient with variable speed & the advantage of the fact there's no wind resistance, many find them easier as you just bounce along listening to "Eye of the Tiger" on your MP3.

5. Ninja, where can I get a pre-joining fitness booklet? Lost mine and I hear you're supposed to have filled it all in by the time you get to Dartmouth. Erk.

6. Ninja_Stoker

You can either nip into the nearest AFCO (link below) to ask for another, Copy it from the RN Website Fitness Programme then print it out and write dates achieved on it or PM an address & I'll post a Gucci colourful one.

7. Thanks for your advice, I'm going to book it asap, I've signed up to be a CIS and the Chief at the AFCO said there isn't a waiting list, just 3-4 months so its all happening pretty quick. :p

Thanks

JC

8. it generally goes quicker than you expect its just the last month while you're waiting to go in that kills you ! just keep busy and once you pass the pjft dont let it slip, still keep exercising and report back here frequently as there are many helpful people on here that make life a lot easier.

9. oh and best of luck by the way !

10. Instead of starting a new thread thought I would put my question here:

Been down the gym for the last week and a half every day but one. But it seems once I pass the 3 min mark on the 1.5 mile run I eel like I’m going to drop dead. Now I’m not that unfit as I walk everywhere, only weigh 11 stone as well. Is it just the fact my body is not used to running for such a period? And is anyone else struggling?

11. Hey aledj

I have been training daily for the last month and the best advice I can give is WARM UP and run further than 1.5 miles even if its not at the speed to pass the PJFT. If I try to do the 1.5-mile run straight off I feel somewhat tired after the 5 min mark (bear in mind I’ve been running 4+ miles at 10 mins a mile). If I jog for 5-mins before I start the run it’s pretty easy.
    On a side note I weigh 14.5 stone mate so it’s nothing to do with your size. Just train hard and you will get there.

12. No pain no gain!! break the barrier and when your body says no ignore it!

13. Having a high pain threshold does help a lot. I often carry on even if I am completely knackered. Fitness levels as with muscle growth increase the most when you feel the burn!!!

14. So far i have not done the 1.5 mile in all. Ran a mile in 8.13 then walked for 1 min then ran half a mile. On the mile my legs were burning lol Guess I’ll just keep at it!!

15. If you are at the gym don't stop after the 1.5-mile run. Move onto some other equipment and carry on. I find the rowing machine is excellent for an all over work out. Aim to do 45 mins - 1 hour of cardio.

16. I'll give that a go tomorrow. Just found the pre-fitness training program that is advised before basic training, so will have a go of that from next week.

17. I think the best way to look at it is that 1.5 mile is only four laps round a football pitch which If you look at that its not to far really. You could if near you run a football pitch see how many laps you can do. Buy some good all round trainers its not as hard as it seems. Maybe when on treadmill try and run at a pace that suits you and just run the pjft at your pace and build up from there. When you go to do your pjft the gym person sets you at a pace for you to pass come on lads you can do it

18. Yeah there are some fields not far from me (20min walk or run lol) so will give that a go! Any idea on what pace is set at fro the test?

Cheers guys!

19. Best advise keep at it.
    I couldnt run down my road when I first started.
    And when youve passed you pjft.... dont stop!!!

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/
    That also helps to try plan routes to run =]
    xx

20. I think they set a pace of about 14 13 on the treadmill but they will ask you is that ok if you want to drop down a set they do it for you until they advise you cannot go any further down on the settings otherwise you fail if you get what I mean as I said look it as four laps of pitch that's not far my friend