fitness test standards

RAFFER

Badgeman
i wish i was as lucky as your daughter to get it all done in 5 days lmao.... i agree with most the other posters that its her fault not keeping her fitness up to the pjft standard and not progressing to be fitter than the required standard, when i need to run fast i always pretend someone is chasing me with a knife it may sound strange but hey it works and i dont half pick my legs up and dash. im sure she will be fine if she has done ti before she should know deep down she has it in her legs to reproduce it by the way what has she got in as

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Whenever a short notice entry date crops-up, the individual is given the option of accepting & advised when their start date would be otherwise.

Those accepting the short notice start date are also advised that it's optional. If they are not ready to join, we would rather give the place to someone that is ready.

In the majority of cases, those failing the RN fitness test first time around are suitably motivated to ensure they only get it wrong once. Those that don't will invariably seek to blame others for their shortcomings. Hopefully this isn't the case in this instance & I'm sure we all hope the second attempt is successful.

TimeToJoinUp

War Hero
One thing to note here is that the RNFT has to be completed every year by serving personnel (with a few medical exceptions I think). Its pass conditions are more stringent than the PJFT. In theory, any member of the RN should be able to run 2.4km in their allocated time whenever it is asked of them, that is the whole point of a fitness standard. When training is complete, it is up to the individual to maintain their own fitness standards or they will find themselves out of the RN (although more than enough help is offered before it comes to this for those who are wiling to put in the work).

5 months, 5 weeks, 5 days, or 5 minutes (unless it's half way into your 7th pint on a Friday), it makes no difference. We need people who are fit enough to carry out any task that might reasonably be asked of them at any time, and that includes physically arduous tasks like fire fighting, battle damage repair and casualty evacuation.

It does, for most, require effort to keep the fitness up, but this is the kind of effort we need to witness in our recruits in order for them to prove that they are worthy of passing out of HMS RALEIGH.

Chaz

MIA
TimeToJoinUp said:
any member of the RN should be able to run 2.4km in their allocated time whenever it is asked of them.

Unless your over 40 years of age, in which case you can opt for the 'Rockport Walk' if you wish!

Chaz

MIA
Sterling_Stirling said:
Chaz said:
TimeToJoinUp said:
any member of the RN should be able to run 2.4km in their allocated time whenever it is asked of them.

Unless your over 40 years of age, in which case you can opt for the 'Rockport Walk' if you wish!

Vas is dis ? brushteeth

Not sure if the RN use this format or not....
http://www.brianmac.co.uk/rockport.htm
Basically a rather swift one mile walk, yes it can be failed!

Chaz

MIA
TimeToJoinUp said:
any member of the RN should be able to run 2.4km in their allocated time whenever it is asked of them

Additonally at present although medically fit I'm exempt from my annual fitness test due to there being no facilities/PTI's to test me at my current draft/assignment.

Chaz

MIA
TimeToJoinUp said:
Oh yes, I'd forgotten about the oldies. From what I hear, it's harder to pass that bloody thing than just run the mile and a half.

Having done both I'm not sure, it's certainly a pain trying to find somewhere that can actually do them, at my last work place, RAF Digby in N. Lincs you could undertake the 2.4km but to do the Rockport Walk I had to go down to Northwood, suited me, I lived in Watford!!

Rockport walk is actually quite hard. Keeping the heart rate down can be a real issue for some people; that said, there was a note on MWS' Daily Orders reminding people that the Rockport Walk was to be done in phys kit, and not used as a meeting place.....