Fitness Test Royal Navy

TrueRed

Midshipman
I’ve passed my Navy Medical to become a Marine Engineer and am aware that the next stage of application is the fitness test . With what’s going on with COVID I was wondering if anyone had an idea how long this fitness test would be delayed by so I can set out a plan to train for it . Thanks .

Supportive Dad

Midshipman
The Royal Navy website has guidance and several plans depending on starting level of fitness.

My son is doing a 5k every other day at the moment but intends to work on his strength and increase intensity once he is through the medical stage. No point him busting a gut at the moment as it could be 10 months before he is given a start date. The idea is that he can do plenty of press-ups etc and run 5/6 miles with ease by the time he starts Raleigh, assuming of course, all is OK with his medical.

TrueRed

Midshipman
I’m 17 but started my application a while ago . I had my interview in Jan but had problems with my medical but finally passed a few days ago . I’m hoping to receive my entry date for Raleigh but I can’t see it being until Jan I start training . I’m not sure what will happen with the fitness test due to COVID. Thanks for the advice for the fitness work .

Drakey

War Hero
The Royal Navy website has guidance and several plans depending on starting level of fitness.

My son is doing a 5k every other day at the moment but intends to work on his strength and increase intensity once he is through the medical stage. No point him busting a gut at the moment as it could be 10 months before he is given a start date. The idea is that he can do plenty of press-ups etc and run 5/6 miles with ease by the time he starts Raleigh, assuming of course, all is OK with his medical.
He could be given an early entry date depending on numbers and the branch that he is joining. If this is the case being fully prepared would be useful. Lots of people have accepted early entry dates, which happens for a variety of reasons. When they arrive at HMS Raleigh and find the fitness to be more challenging than they thought it would be, they use the excuse that they didn't have enough time to prepare.

D_Jones

I remember reading some recruits uploaded a screenshot of their tracked 2.4km using Strava to the portal

Not sure whether this is still the case

Supportive Dad

Midshipman
He could be given an early entry date depending on numbers and the branch that he is joining. If this is the case being fully prepared would be useful. Lots of people have accepted early entry dates, which happens for a variety of reasons. When they arrive at HMS Raleigh and find the fitness to be more challenging than they thought it would be, they use the excuse that they didn't have enough time to prepare.
He was going to the gym with me up until lockdown. It won't take him long to prepare for more strenuous training. He can rattle off pressups and situps now. I don't want him to risk an injury at this stage through over training when he still has the medical and fitness tests to do. Believe me, we are very keen on fitness in this house and he will be well prepared.

Any idea what is the least notice prior to Raleigh?

Supportive Dad

Midshipman
I’m 17 but started my application a while ago . I had my interview in Jan but had problems with my medical but finally passed a few days ago . I’m hoping to receive my entry date for Raleigh but I can’t see it being until Jan I start training . I’m not sure what will happen with the fitness test due to COVID. Thanks for the advice for the fitness work .
My boy was 16 in July and has applied for AET. The only medical issue we can think of might be that he had some routine surgical procedures when he was small. No affects now but we are aware that Capita are very fussy.

If you are not doing any training now it sounds like you need to get your trainers on, do some stretches and get out and start running. The time limit for 1.5 miles is 12 minutes and 15s, not very difficult really for youngsters.

Adonis

Badgeman
Son starts on 7 sept and has been doing the following since march:

Mon-20 x hill sprints followed by 1.5 mile run under 10 mins-gym in evening
Tue no run -gym
Wed- 3mile run 12.30 first half best effort 2nd x2- gym
Thu 400m in under 1min 30 x7 with 30 sec rest between sets-gym
Fri - 3-4 mile steady jog-gym
Sat 6 miles sub 8 min miles. No gym
Sun sea swim/cycle
Max press ups and sit ups every day except sunday using beep test for PRMC.
Gym sessions are circuits on Tue/Thu and weights Mon/wed/fri.

adapted from Arnys programme

Last edited:

Drakey

War Hero
Yeah. But can he stand still on the spot and not move, scratch, fidget etc when the sweat is running down his face.

Supportive Dad

Midshipman
Son starts on 7 sept and has been doing the following since march:

Mon-20 x hill sprints followed by 1.5 mile run under 10 mins-gym in evening
Tue no run -gym
Wed- 3mile run 12.30 first half best effort 2nd x2- gym
Thu 400m in under 1min 30 x7 with 30 sec rest between sets-gym
Fri - 3-4 mile steady jog-gym
Sat 6 miles sub 8 min miles. No gym
Sun sea swim/cycle
Max press ups and sit ups every day except sunday using beep test for PRMC.
Gym sessions are circuits on Tue/Thu and weights Mon/wed/fri.

adapted from Arnys programme

Do you have an 8 day week in your house to allow for recovery?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Max9393 Royal navy fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 37
soleil Royal Navy Fitness Test Changes Health & Fitness 51
Ninja_Stoker Changes to Royal Marines Commando Pre Joining Fitness Test The Corps 21
T Fitness Test Joining the Royal Navy 3
W Pre Joining Fitness Test Advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
chorzxx Pre-joining fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
M Fitness test Joining the Royal Navy 12
N Fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
J Fitness Test Joining the Royal Navy 2
Rum_pot Failing HMS Raleigh fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 63
B Fitness Test Time Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
Matthew After the fitness test... Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
M Anyone at the fitness test stage? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
M How long after face to face medical do you get your Fitness test date? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
J Repeated Medical and Fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
T Interview/medical/fitness test expiration? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
Cameroon..James99 Pre joining fitness test tomorrow! Health & Fitness 41
E joining up fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
Cameroon..James99 Pre jointing fitness test advice please?! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 48
W Fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
T5igger Run time for fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
shinson Next Stage...Pre Fitness Test Joining the Royal Navy 15
H Any idea for PRNC dates after passing fitness test? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
R RN fitness test at Raleigh Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
B fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
H Putting back fitness test a no no ? Health & Fitness 25
B How long till your basic training after fitness test? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
N Time between applying and taking the fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
S Just completed medical - Waiting on fitness test - Improving Fitness Health & Fitness 19
Z Re doing fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
hughesy1996 Time between completing fitness test and gaining dates for PRNC Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 40
joeG How long from medical to fitness test? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
Bagsy89 START DATE FOLLOWING FITNESS TEST Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
Ahoy89 Fitness Test... Female 25yrs? Health & Fitness 12
K Pre-joining Fitness Test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
H Injury before fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 8
M Initial Military Fitness Test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
K Fitness test: pushups - hand problem Health & Fitness 10
H Pre joining fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
R PJFT / Pre Joining Fitness Test The Gash Barge 11
A Pre-joining Fitness test 2014 Changes Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 44
S AIB Fitness test change! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
S Fitness test Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
T Fitness test?? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1