Fitness Standards

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by pernod, Oct 25, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Fitness levels in the navy.

Just wondering when you complete your 1st year of professional training are you expected to do alot of fitness after that i.e on the ship?

2. Re: Fitness levels in the navy.

No, the Navy's perfectly happy for you to sit around and emulate Britain's World Champion of fitness, Paul Mason… :roll:

3. Re: Fitness levels in the navy.

It varies according to your ship. On my ship you have to attend at least one circuit session per week. The rest is up to you (bearing in mind that you have to pass your 2.4k run every year).

4. Fitness in the navy

When I am at phase one and two will I be able to bring my roller blades with me. I am well into extreme sports and I would like to carry on keeping the skills that I have learn't over the years would this be possible. Someone told me the drill square has the smoothest surface suitable for roller blading is that true?

5. Re: Fitness in the navy

Im sure this has been asked before by Nails.

6. Re: Fitness in the navy

What you said.

7. Re: Fitness in the navy

Sorry I got bored didn't realise it had already been covered. Where is everybody?

8. Re: Fitness in the navy

9. Re: Fitness in the navy

The army has drill squares, the RN has a Parade Ground.
    When you join Raleigh, go to see the Chief G.I. (Chief AWW/Chops(M) or whatever he's called this week) and ask if you can borrow his parade ground during the dogs to practice extreme sports. I'm sure he will oblige you, he must have a vast store of redundant SLRs/303s which he would no doubt lend you for some extreme dogwatch instruction. On each circuit of the parade ground you will get a lovely view of Maker with Rame church.
    If you have any further queries, ask Granny or Onions, they'll be sure to know the answer.

2BM

10. Re: Fitness in the navy

Thanks for the info interesting what's G.I stand for?

11. Re: Fitness in the navy

See my last sentence!

2BM

12. Re: Fitness in the navy

That can't be the right definition there is no G or I in that, I will ask Granny or onions instead. :lol:

13. Re: Fitness levels in the navy.

You are encouraged to continue training and to participate in sports etc but the only mandatory requirement is the annual naval fitness test which is the 1.5 mile run or the bleep test. Scores/ times dependant on age.

14. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Re: Fitness in the navy

You may bring roller blades. We had this a lot in the Army. The chaps would just pop in to the RSM's office and ask to skate around his drill square for an hour or so andhe was always happy with that. He would join in quite a bit as well. Be sure to mention this when you get to Raleigh. I'm sure they will accomodate you.

15. Re: Fitness in the navy

Oi Blackrat,
    You been reading my posts?

2BM

16. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Oops. :oops:

I just read the first post and saw it was from ja5on so i knew it had to be bone. That's me told.

17. Fair comment mate! :roll:

2BM

18. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Yes you can use the parade ground. We have plenty of ways of keeping you fit.

19. Do they still have the PULHEEM?

20. I should imagine so
    P Physical Capacity
    U Upper Limbs
    L Lower Limbs
    H Hearing
    E Eye Rt
    E Eye Lt
    M Mental Capacity
    S Emotional Stability

Unless its all changed :wink: