Fitness opinions

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by flopsical, Jan 15, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey guys,

Before you all face palm thinking " another person who can't find the search button" i think this thread will be slightly different to others before.

I'm looking for personal opinions on what helped you guys individually when training for your PJFT or for preparing yourself for Raleigh.

I failed my first attempt at PJFT in December due to a lack of practise on treadmills ( i could get by on time just fine outside but treadmills seemed uncomfortable to me) and have slacked abit over Xmas and new year, i'm waiting for my letter to come allowing me to retake it in Feb and am pushing myself a lot harder than before and obv getting some miles in on the dreaded treadmills also to help with my feeling uneasy on them.

What i'm asking is what did you guys PERSONALLY feel helped you the most when it came to training to cut seconds off your 1.5 miles.

Was it interval sprinting?
    Doing longer runs? 3 miles? 5 miles? How far?
    Doing strength based exercises for your legs like squats and leg press?
    Or just keep testing yourself on the 1.5 miles?
    Did you find mixing in swimming and cycling helped more than just running all the time?

I do apologise if this has been covered before, i'm just looking for fresh idea's / experiences.

I'm doing everything i can think to do to improve my fitness, i'm just looking for something extra i can do.

2. Didnt think you do the 1.5 mile run on a treadmill I thought it was on the road or parade ground?
  3. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Inner city AFCOs are often lacking in parade grounds or safe roads. Gyms are utilised for PJFT's.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren
  4. Ah miss read it . Its getting late for some reason I had PRNC stuck in my head .... doh ill get back in my box
  5. It's always worth mixing it up in my opinion. I'm a keen mountain biker/cyclist and whilst it won't help with the high impact of running it can improve your leg's easily transferable

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  6. I did a lot of spinning before I joined Raleigh. Fantastic cardio and improves leg speed. Then every now and then i'd do the 2.4km on a treadmill in the gym at a two degree incline.

Going for longer runs is worthwhile but no point in going to far. Certainly wouldn't bother with anything over five miles if you are training for a mile and a half run.

7. Sucks for me then! I'd much prefer to do it outside, even if it meant travelling. I live in the lovely little seaside town of Skegness, my nearest AFCO is Lincoln so I travel for everything anyways.

Should of seen my face when i had to drive for over an hour and a half due to traffic for my 10 minute medical, then drive back in the same traffic! Rage!

But thanks for the opinions guys, keep em coming!
  8. If you can meet the requisite RNFT time on the road, you can piss it on a treadmill. As for getting fitter / faster with regards to running: Fartlek - increases vo2 max, makes you fitter and faster - proven.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. I know roads are supposed to be harder due to lots of factors but its just the uncomfortableness on the treadmill i guess, i just need more practise with them.
  10. When i first attempted a 2.4km my time was shocking! Because i wasnt obese i thought it would be alright, but seems snakebite, kens, not much sleep and stress ain't too good on the old fitness.

I did/do 3 runs a week- 1 long'un at a comfortable pace, 1 interval sprint/jog one and 1 made up of 2 sets of 2.4km, one as a warm up and the other one timed. Before the afco pjft i just used a treadmill once every 2 weeks to time myself and to get used to it as well but just go outside now. Also go swimming twice a week, RPM once a week, circuits once, gym for some strength and if im feeling fat ill do some general cardio and netball. I also volunteer at brownies and guides and running after kids is more tiring than all those combined sometimes haha. All seem to have helped with running.

It worked for me anyway, eat properly and listen to your body- might sound wussy but sometimes you need a few days off training if you're feeling rough tings. when i practice the 2.4km now its at least 7 mins faster (you can guess how bad my time used to be...) and a few mins within the given times. Me biggest tip is although obviously you are training for something specific and it helps to be focussed; if you can actually start to enjoy training then its a million times easier. Get some proper running shoes too (i got my feet looked at in a snobby running shop and then looked online and got the ones they recommended proper cheap).
  11. If the treadmill is set at 13.3Kmh then keep it at that and above to reach the time and if you don't let it drop you will do it. I felt that the majority of that test was determination, treadmills don't simulate road running because you have a rubber belt underneath pulling your feet back so just let the machine do the majority of the work. Posture as well, make sure your not leaning forward and let your chest be as wide as it can. Also mentioned always run at an incline 2/3 is good or build up to that if your not there. It makes a hell of a difference and when you come back to running the actual test and it will be a breeze. High intensity interval training was great as well for me, set the treadmill at 14.5/15kmh run flat out for 1min/2mins and break for 30 seconds by jumping on the side of the treadmill. Follow that process, just be warned you may want to get used to it at lower speeds, because if you fall you go back fast. Wear loose clothing as well !

12. Sod running on the treadmill there crap. You can try hill sprints. That's what I'm currently doing also the interval training by running and the exercise bike etc etc.
  13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Do you think being a trained rank Royal Marines Commando helped a bit with regard preparing for the RN PJFT? :wink:
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Step 1. Download a running app for your iPhone.

If you don't have an iPhone, sort your ****ing life out, then go back to step 1.

Step 2. Use the iPhone app to time yourself outdoors over 2.4km.

Step 3. Repeat step 2 but try and beat your previous time.

Step 4,5,6,7,8,9,10 etc. Repeat step 3.

That's it.

Just run faster.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Jinny

16. Shhhhhh they don't know that.
  17. Did my PJFT in 9:45 which strangely is exactly what I got at RNAC, currently doing my diver training so it's two 2.4 km back to back, the first one is a warm up and the second best effort, currently coming in around the same time. I like to do a 8km run every week, as well as a practise PDA run (The two 2.4km back to back) normally only take a minute and a half rest between each run. On Mondays I do scuba diving in a pool nearby, which obviously isn't the same as outdoor diving. It living in Birmingham it is all experience. Then the other days I try and spend about an hour and a half in the gym. Hoping to get my run time down to about 9:20 for my PDA in October and as it currently stands I can pass the other components of the DPFT.

From what I've found if you do a bit of phys everyday it'll stand you in good stead